Author Topic: New heavy encumbrance system.  (Read 17916 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Re: Craft Modifiers & Null Buffs
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 04:21:40 AM »
Personally I favour player donkeys. My old character Marjiana e.g. once used Soren Nexus as one. Worked perfectly well! You don't need STR for this but CHA! ;)

Ah! Resorting in using other characters, unreliable to boot, it's difficult enough to provide herbs for three herbologist already. We'll see what happen next.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 04:31:37 AM »
Well, if you need some bags, ask me, I can use some Fang  :roll:

Anyways, you can either find bags or buy them of a Vardo. 60% weight reduction is a whole lot already.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 04:36:56 AM »
Yus insert deer Gran'tak mouth !! Gran'tak carry pebbles !! HRAAAGH !
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 04:38:31 AM by engelfire »
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Re: New heavy encumbrance system.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
beena  few days    and still dotn like it
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
Barbarians are the body rescue squad.

failed.bard

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »
If you see an umber hulk stomping around, it's just wilhelm hauling ore into vallaki.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
If you see an umber hulk stomping around, it's just wilhelm hauling ore into vallaki.

Haha, I never thought about it like that.  Damn mages are going to be the mules.

failed.bard

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »

Haha, I never thought about it like that.  Damn mages are going to be the mules.

With a good buff and polymorph I think he can hit 800 pounds base.  With vardo bags he could still carry over a ton.  The system just needs some creativity to adapt to it.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »
Or more druids.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
Picked up a body last night... and I could not move.

Now, Realisticly... if a 100lb lady in the military in full gear, can do a shoulder drag on a man twice her weight, also in full gear (not real fast mind you), I think an elf, with a 12 strength should be able to do the same.

Sollution, can we lower the weight on bodies?

I understand wanting to curb people from carrying tons of ore about, but that's why extrademensional bags were made for. We want to carry more than our weight in stuff without burden, in a world of magic, we applied the art to accomplishing that, much as we do in reallife. We want to fly like the birds, we invent a plane. Magic is the Technology of the Fantasy world. The difference, Magic is not hindered by the laws of physics, so in a magic wold there is actually more room for abuse, Mules with Extradementional saddle bags.

Heh, makes me wonder how many of the "Witch Burners" fear their magic bags of holding.

"EVIL BAG! It holdeth a suit of armor, 2 longswords and 700 arrows... BURN IT! Burn... it, wait a moment... That bag holds a lot of stuff, at half the weight, This is AMAZING, so much that... um... it can't be witchcraft, it must be, um, holy... Yes, These are blessed bags of mass holding, Tell it on the Mountain!! The Gods have blessed us with a grand gift... only 1500 fangs from your local Red Vardo Traders."

This ad was paid for by the Red Vardo Traders, Red Vardo, We sell all your adventuring needs... [slits an independant merchants throat as the spokesman walks by] and noone else!

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 01:07:01 PM »

If you see a archer shooting arrows at a Umber Hulk, Its just Liam doin his job.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »
No worries, I'll personally make sure the umber hulk is invisible and hasted :p
Has been described as a sometimey player

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
well, its 125 lbs actually, the gear weighing about 75 to 100 lbs as well, and the position is a shoulder carry. Lean down, scoop up, and swing over ones shoulders, and then run.  Even with all the gear on I could run with a 185lb person, 200 lb person I had to walk. Almost fell over scooping them up too.  Heh. . .of course I don't really factor in the weight of the equipment either on the people, so it was probably more than just their weight.

Realistically, with a good bag, I could move about oh. . .150lb of stuff i think on my back and still be able to run fairly well, moving people is a bit different, usually adrenaline is there and you don't notice the weight. Still, in training you do, and it is still possible to do in training.

But thanks for the compliment, if you were calling me thin :-P

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »
Sollution, can we lower the weight on bodies?

Actually, the bodies were made heavier sometime within the last year because they were too light.

I think Soren is still going to make a slight alteration to allow for slightly more load before being overencumbered. Until then, just grin and bear it since the system is still being tweaked.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »
Oh I will, but I won't be bringing any found corpses back to the Church for proper burial until then. Just a service offered by my Drow. It's not because he is a nice guy. It is because found bodies could potentially rise again (RP minded) without the proper rituals and I figure the Morning Lord priests would know how best to keep the dead... um... Dead.

LawfulJoe

• Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
OH MAN! This is an annoying system. 52 lbs over, trying to get another PC back from the baratak mountains top the church for raising, and I can go very short distances before having to rest. Is it realist, perhaps, but is it fun... not at all. With limited time for playing, if lugging a corpse down the mountain takes hours, I will most likely not help anyone again unless they ar e a map or two from a church. I am writing this while I wait the 2 in game hours to rest again, so I can move a few more feet down the mountain... UGH!

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 10:27:34 PM »
Next time, bring a hulking fighter with you. Or a rez scroll. :lol:

Still, nice knowing that folks may think twice about being suicidally over-aggressive on dungeon runs or during DM events if they know that folks may not bother with corpse retrieval.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
Oh yeah, the res scroll you can't buy from Ezrites, and it's fantastic when you, the hulking fighter dies. It's wonderful when your companion can't go 30 steps without needing to rest, postponing movement for 3 hours. It's awesome when ater 15 minutes you've managed to get 20 feet down Baratak. Whoo, this script is just a blast! I love when a "realism" script completely ruins my experience.

More more!

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
After hearing all these complaints, I think I'm going to set up the "Adventurers Corpse Insurance Policy Company".

I'll have a bunch of hulking calibans, humans, and dwarves hired to run and grab corpses in exchange for a sizable, monthly premium. :twisted:

(I remember buying the rez scrolls from someone besides the Ezrites though...*shrugs*)

LawfulJoe

• Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »
I have a sollution, sit in the Lady's Rest and Drink... get all your XP from RP, you might see 10th level by 2009. Oh wait, I play a drow and get killed if I go in the Lady's Rest and noone will want to lug my corpse across the yard because you will have to rest half way there to get there. Ok... I better stop. I am annoyed an venting. Bad script... needs ALOT of Tweaking.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »
Since I'm not going to rely on you being on, I'd say this is a pretty glaring hole in the whole idea. I find it hard to even post right now (productively) I'm so frustrated by this. If dying wasn't a good enough end to the ordeal, it's going to take hours, or 2500 + in gold and scrolls to even get back up and playing again.

This is not a good script. It is a terrible script.

failed.bard

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 12:54:28 AM »
  The weight over at which it kicks in needs to be changed, and the way it's applied seems off.  It seems like the moment the game clock ticks to the next hour whether it's been 5 seconds or 5 minutes you're stuck..  I could be wrong on that, will need to test more, but that's how it seems at the moment.

The way it is now, I think I might stop smithing with Wilhelm for a few days and spend the week-end running all over the place doing body grabs with him.  Death is a growth industry you know.

I think it was Jerv that had suggested (in a tell conversation in game) a daze effect be added to the characters when they had gone too far with too much, instead of a total stop in movement.  Perhaps after a longer period of slow movement and not being able to defend yourself the total immobility could kick in.  This would show the character getting tired, instead of suddenly being to exhausted to move.

Another option would be to add the daze effect immediately on exceeding 1.5x the max encumbrance, and have it removed once you dropped under the limit again.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »
I think 1/2/3/4  is best

1 - Unecombured
2 - Encoumbered
3 - heavily encumbered (you can still move)
4 - You got to be kidding me - stop moving and shed wieght

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
I'm going to send this OT, but so be it.

The "wise old sage" advice around here is "party up".  Considering you have players from multiple time zones, that is NOT always an option.  Should we tell our European friends "log on during US mainland" time to get the most from the game?  I've been on this server in the early morning when there were 6 people on.

Let's use our heads here and not grab for the "same old/same old" advice.  It isn't always feasible. 

****stepping off the soapbox****
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
I'm going to have to agree; this system needs some overhaul.

In the spider caves, hit with strength poison. Instantly, I'm jammed up. Despite having used a restoration potion and immediately gotten my strength back, I can still no longer walk because - for a split second - I was heavily encumbered. Restoration potions should really fix all of that.