You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Over encumbrance vs walking  (Read 14566 times)

failed.bard

Re: Over encumbrance vs walking
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »
I'm going to do more testing tomorrow, but it does seem like there's going to need to be some tweaking done.  WIll post suggestions/observations once I've seen it in play a little more.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 11:52:04 AM »
well, now that i've taken a breather, the encumbrance system is a good idea I admit. But, practicality and sensibility are not in favor with game mechanics.
If I can carry a max of 200 lbs with an 18 str, i have 6 or so bags at 60%, and I still can't carry 2 corpses at 130 lbs or such because they put me 30lbs over the 200lb max then it seems kind of silly to me.
Monsters wont wait for the whole 3-5 seconds it takes to drop added weight so you can carry your companions to safety, where in reality you could instantly drop a large bag of junk if you needed to to move faster.

I spent a year and a half in iraq, and trust me, if you need to pick up your companion and run to move out of harm while you are already carrying 130 lbs of weapons and lead vest along with radio you move. It has very little to do with strength and more to do with the urgency of the situation. One can take care of their companions in situations when needed.
Shouldn't have to be sending tells to clerics around the server to help a party because everyone died due to encumbrance , nor have to try and find another group to come rescue the first, mainly because either way it leads to meta gaming.

Maybe if there was a "body bag" or something which could be used as a dragging cart for bodies, though I am not sure that that wouldn't be exploited for other uses as well. So, it brings into the picture, why not have horses and such available to carry things in situations like this? Cep 2 is in, so we have the capability, and it would make a practical sense now to have a pack horse or mule for such situations as death or mining, and would still keep it all ic.

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »
Bare in mind that carring two bodies is a massive feat and only the strongest should be able to handle that (since carrying one body is meant to be bloody hard)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »
Bare in mind that carring two bodies is a massive feat and only the strongest should be able to handle that (since carrying one body is meant to be bloody hard)

I agree on this point, mechanic wise or not.  Holding a body, fighting or doing anything other than simply moving them out of harms way is a tremendous feat, let alone carting two bodies... or more.  Yet I also see the validity of Ellana's post, it will (while realistic) make more difficulty for those parties that succumb to issues of lag, bugged moments where the party is 75% wiped. 

As for metagaming clerical aid, rescue parties and the sort, this already does go on.  Considering that many players fear server crashes during these moments of death, most merely look hopefully at being cared for before these situations arise.  Which can often lead to bugged corpses, removed corpses, loss of gear etcetera etcetera.   

One can hope that the increased encumbrance ruling, might lead to smarter group compositions, less risky solo ventures into dangerous turf returning laden with loot alone, less odds that a greedy character/player will burden themselves with overlooting.  It is something yet to be seen.  I am neither ranting against the idea, but merely voicing my thoughts as to the pro's and cons that come to mind considering the styles of play and my limited knowledge of the NWN game mechanics.

*steps off the box*

Madnobody

• Undead Master
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
Of course I'm guessing due to the nature of the script,undead pc's will also find themselves getting tired. Is that true? because the dead aren't supposed to need to stop for breathers.

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 01:18:59 PM »

I agree, being a fire-fighter.. carrying a 170lb dummy out a house is, brutal.
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
Of course I'm guessing due to the nature of the script,undead pc's will also find themselves getting tired. Is that true? because the dead aren't supposed to need to stop for breathers.

But their arms might snap off.

Madnobody

• Undead Master
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
Oh,Snap!

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
well everyone says youl adapt and get used to it

been a  few now just like to say i still dislike the system
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »
well everyone says youl adapt and get used to it

been a  few now just like to say i still dislike the system

as someone whos got characters of varying str ranging form 6-15 unbuffed i got to say the system seems well balanced now since the new update. The points thing is a good step in the right direction, though the duration of as they tag on points i think needs to be increased just slightly. Otherwise its good

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »
Got to play with it a bit finally since I found a pile of dead bodies in the sewers.  I like it.  Bring on more stuff for it.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2008, 05:38:54 AM »
i haven't read the whole thread yet, but a few things to consider.
Encouraging team play is a good thing - nothing to say against that.
Smithing progress is slowed extremely and prices for weapons and armour will go up. Is that good?
Dungeoneering needs much more time now. One has to consider that a part of the party might die and has to be dragged out. That alone might take several hours, since now even more than before another party might be required to do that. I usually have only 2 hours per day, so i won't have much opportunity to visit dungeons any more.
A long time that's required for actions increases the risk of losing expensive weapons to server resets - with increasing prices, the effect on low level characters is devastating.

There will be many more effects, but until now i can see only one winner of the system. Really high-level smithies. Yes, they will need more time.

I'm playing DnD and other RPGs since the late 80s and i learned that an increase of realism in a system might increase the experience of some, but nearly always punishes those that do not have the time to play excessively.

A common problem in DnD is limitation of high level characters without kicking the low levels in the face.

Yes, as a limitation of high level characters the system might work. It depends on how hard you want low levels to pay for that limitation.

edit: my characters strength is just above average. if you focus your measures on str 18+, you do something wrong. with a regular capacity of 116 pounds, the basic equipment weighting about 70 pounds and without a place to leave stuff behind, even carrying one other character means that i am dead as well, since i have no way of running from danger any more. As soon as i have dropped my burden, i am close to death. Or, given the circumstances leading to the death of companions - i already was when i picked up the body.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:51:53 AM by Thoraion »
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »
So don't pick up the body.  Honestly I don't see what the big deal is, I have Next to no time to play and the more "realism" that's added the happier I am.  It gives more reason for getting other people to go along.

I would like to see some sort of persistent storage though.  Also another "realistic" thing, but I'm sure the detractors of Realism wouldn't circle their wagons against THAT.

~Rex

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »
****Changed my mind.  Just isn't worth it****
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:21:51 PM by ThAnswr »
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »
Permanent storage for PCs is not yet possible from what Soren explained many times.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
Permanent storage for PCs is not yet possible from what Soren explained many times.

Well post a link to one please.

Back to the topic though, My main PC's is incredibly weighed down by a lot of extraneous crap at the moment, and even hauling around a couple of dead bodies at a shamble, it wasn't that much of an issue for me, and yes, I was retreating from monsters at the time to (mobats).

I can See it screwing over a Spell Caster or a Dexer though but then, Checks and Balances.  You guys get Dungeon Access.  Big Fighter or Barbarian Guy gets to haul dead bodies around a touch easier.  *shrug*

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2008, 10:54:28 PM »
  The storage idea was nixed due to it being a server wide limit of 100 items, if I remember right.

I think a fair compromise to the would be a 100% bag of holding that could only have things put into it/taken out using an option in the safe rest zone menus.  Not entirely realistic, but unless it could be scripted to only open in one particular rest area it still seems fair.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »
I don't foresee 100% bags ever going in. . .maybe making 80% findable some how would be nice, though I of course see such things poping up where they most likely would not be found.

Though, i foresee once the enchanting system is in place that most things which can be found will most likely become more scarce and you will have to seek a priest or mage to make your fine items and bags of holding.