You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Over encumbrance vs walking  (Read 14562 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Over encumbrance vs walking
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »
From what i understand you cannot walk overencumbered for a long time anymore without resting. Now speaking from experience, Roland took up crafting with his 19 str and even then i was overly encumbered after 20 piece of ore. Since there is no system to hire donkeys or npcs to help you carry this crap up, i think the half an hour it took me to get from the copper seems to the mine was enough of a drawback without on top of that having to waste a rest.

Suggestions:

1- Remove the new system, very unwieldy and gives hell to crafters on top of everything else.

2- Donkey merchants. Purchase donkeys (bags with 100% weight reduction) that will last up to 1 irl hour before disapearing from your inventory.

(i personaly love the donkey idea)

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Over encumbrance vs walking
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:31:51 PM »
I know I wouldn't like to see the donkey disappear with ore in its inventory...
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »
True, i guess could it be possible to have the donkeys drop the ore in the inventory when they dissipate?

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:36:27 PM »
I've got to test this one out yet but if it's In Line with what one gets as info from the encumbrance rules of the books, then I am All For it.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:42:13 PM »
Hire Sedrik.  He can carry the world.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Gotta figure, a smith loaded with ore wont be able to cross the dwarven smithy without resting twice, drop the ore you say? Right,with how long it took to get it all here, not gonna let a server crash make it all go away.

Im not a big fan of the idea altogether.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »
If you save your character while you're holding the ore, you won't be losing anything.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »
Thats the point, if you put it down so you can walk inside the smithy, you can lose it with a crash. If you keep it on you, walking across the smithy requires 2 rests

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »
I like this system I think.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »
Eh, when doing leatherworking, I already used to hire low level PC's to get the hides for me. I guess if I need to do some heavy smelting/smithing, I'll hire some day labor to haul my ore for me.

Likely, I'll whack the ore veins, and have them take the ore back, 10 at a time or whatever.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »
I think a lot of you are under the impression that we are an MMORPG with 100+ players, giving plenty of room for all crafters to have their own pack-mule PCs.

We don't.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »
I'm under no such impression, and have never lacked in the ability to find cheap labor. In fact, I'd promote this kind of system, since crafting is such a lonely and isolated deal.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
If such a system was implemented, the donkey-bags should not be 100% weight reduction, as that would more or less return things to the old system, in which crafters carried insane amounts of components. Donkey's should have a weight limit. They're donkeys not a storage compartment. The idea of renting Donkey-bags is to work around the problem of not having an actual donkey follow us. 80% weight reduction sounds more than reasonable to me.

And I agree with ethnios. I'd prefer people doing carrying stuff. Could start a delivery system for lowbies or anyone regardless of level or place ads in the market district.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

kanedellesk

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »
It promotes partying over soloing, and that is never a bad thing. You want to go and clean the coal mines out of coal? Fine, but if you want to be able to carry it out you'd better have friends and/or hired help.

I bench press almost 300 pounds, and from what I'm told this is well above average. And there's no way in hell I could carry 1500 pounds of anything on my shoulders for more than a step or two. I wouldn't be able to drag it either without resting every little bit. What would I do if I had to lift something heavy like that, move it, and a forklift wasn't available? I'd call friends.

Plain and simple, Party Up.

I like the system.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
Im already having enough problems finding people to gather herbs for me, even by paying them as much as i possibly can afford for a non farming character. I think to an extend it'll promote farming to gather money to pay people to do half your job. I like the idea of crafting being semi solo with the supplying from other people, A box full of herbs is easy enough to carry around (about 12lbs) but there's 20 potions, 12 lbs is 2 chunks of ore = 1 sword.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 07:00:05 PM »
Once the system has had a chance to walk its legs, then the feedback based on the experience folks are having with the system will have more value than feedback only on the idea of the new system.

In the meantime, there are rp options to look into.  The Church of Ezra values silver for obvious reasons, so if someone wants to go mine in the Silver Mines, see if an expedition can be arranged. 

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:04:21 PM »
I have a feeling smithing/smelting is likely the biggest trade affected by the new changes. Granted, I've mastered it and likely won't have to try and do full hauls of ore any more unless something special comes up. But considering that you can get iron one level down, or at worst, two levels down, all this means is that you are making more frequent trips if you don't hire help.

Sure, you either pay folks to keep at the regular place of smithing/smelting, or you do it solo and not quite as fast. Still, magic bags will double the amount of ore you can haul. Invest in some. This isn't a game breaking change.

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:39:47 PM »
As a crafter who mines ore (for arrow/bolt tips), i must say i love the changes. It never felt right carrying so much weight. I would RP dragging a sled behind me as a plausible reason but this alleviates that issue.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »
It does make dragging BODIES, not ore, a problem as well.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »
It does make dragging BODIES, not ore, a problem as well.

Repeat after me: "Magic bags, magic bags!"

Even the -20% bags will help with corpse moving. And be glad we don't have to actually lug around the character PLUS their entire inventory's weight. I'm sure between the corpse and his inventory, my dwarf weighs near 400 pounds all together.

But maybe Soren can implement a dismemberment script... :twisted:

Seriously though, dragging bodies should be a problem, and until now has been pretty much shrugged off. Adds another reason to not charge into battle foolishly. Your friends may just not bother lugging you back to town for that raise...

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
But maybe Soren can implement a dismemberment script... :twisted:

:lol: :roll: :lol:

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »
After discussing with a few crafters it's not too hard to get around it. Keep a minimum of ore on yourself and when order comes around we'll go get whats needed at that moment. It's to get to that point that's going to be a pain.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »
After discussing with a few crafters it's not too hard to get around it. Keep a minimum of ore on yourself and when order comes around we'll go get whats needed at that moment. It's to get to that point that's going to be a pain.

I keep a bag of coal, and just get the iron on demand. The only ingots I usually hold on to are silver, and then no more than 5 or so at a time, and stored in a -60% bag so that's only about 11 pounds. If I'm doing a bunch of running around collecting materials (oak, silver, steel, and hides for example) expect an additional surcharge, because sometimes that can take nearly a full RL hour collecting crap.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
alright, the encumberance system needs fixed, this is rediculous when I am tryign to carry people out of a dungeon doing fine, and then all of a sudden i can't walk, and sense the creatures follow through transitions now, i die because i am trying to escape.  nwn has a walking encumberance system for a reason. heck, you can pull several hundred pounds behind you in reality, why can't i drag my party members out of a dungeon with out getting half way out then all of a sudden for some reason I can't move and get killed by the five million things which followed me up through transitions and more?

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »
I agree.. with the system, I also agree with Ric tho.

We don't have 1000 players, to choose from... people are doing there own thing 80% of the time.

Edit: Also looks like instead of the pain, of dragging him back... clerics are going to making errands around the server for raises. :lol:
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)