Author Topic: Craft Modifiers & Null Buffs  (Read 3841 times)

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
Craft Modifiers & Null Buffs
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »
I'd like to know why, aside from people complaiining that casters had the upper edge, buff spells don't apply to modifiers anymore in crafting.  It doesn't make sense, ICly, that someone's abilities were raised, yet their output remained the same.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Craft Modifiers & Null Buffs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »
Balance issues. Our system was designed so that no one could master all crafts because to an extent, it was tied to ability scores to limit someone. Buffs nullified this because it let anyone get high scores in all abilities, thus able to master many crafts.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
I still think it's an excellent compromise, to factor in TIME required to craft anything.  Chainmail for example, took MONTHS to make.  For game purposes, it doesn't make much sense to require Months for a player, but Not being able to benefit from the never ending Buff's could easily be construed as a "time" factor.   Trades take Time, days weeks etc, and Buffs last for minutes.

I say, Fair Move.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
I personally don't mind the change at all, but I don't see how it stops someone from mastering all crafts, I had a character with -1 base on leatherworking and still managed to advance without buffs. I just had to work harder annd longer than others, I only gave up on it because of a rebuild and not being able to get my crafting levels back. This also makes the question, why don't you want someone to master all the crafts ? As it stands I will admit it has been made financially almost impossible since most crafts are losing ventures until mastery, but if one is willing to put the time, effort and resources into it, what is the problem with that ? In real life we have many examples of people with mastery over numerous things, why should this be so different ?

Also, I like the innovation on limiting heavily encumbered people traveling great distance. Can we soon expect mules to counter this realism ?

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:19:22 PM »
  I like it, even though I'm not much for crafting... yet.  The idea of simply buffing a stat would automatically make a crafter 2-5x better at their job very unrealistic.  As was stated previously any craft takes time, and only time should be the factor to improving it.  Working and shaping metal for whichever outcome was a laborous effort and one that didn't happen overnight (not to say we need to force realistic timeframes) ones trade is developed by not only understanding the process, but also through conditioning of repetition of the physical work, simply making oneself stronger or sudden synapses firing to make them smarter while seemingly the numbers would work.

In theory a weakling becomes a hulk while doing the menial job they have always done.. progress would not be made, I would think much more in the effort of setback would take place as many things they had learned to do within the confines of their former physical self will have been unbalanced by the sudden surge in strength they are not accustomed to, breaking material.. bending a hammer.. twisting the metal to much.. etcetera.  Though.. these are obviously realism factors not simple game mechanics and stat crunching.

Now on the side of arguing for the stat buffing.  I would say that it could work as well, just..that any benefits of experience would be removed/nullified as the person is augmenting themselves to complete something in a hurried fashion.  It isn't the state of mind or body they are attuned with and therefore any gains made would fade or have taken a corrupted process.  For example increasing ones wisdom or intelligence would give great insights or realization of the process, but fade once the spell wore off.. becoming once again the mundane person they were.. forgetting some of the insightful clues or nuisances they uncovered while working.  Notes the had written would more then likely be scrawled in a jargon or chicken scratch that made sense when enlightened.. but be confusing and read like little more than a madmans fervorous documentary utilizing the entire piece of parchment in no particular ordered fashion as they make best use to waste not the time or space available.  At least to the duller senses.

Much like someone who has taken a drug that made things click on a substantial level.. yet seem deluded and uncertain once the high has worn off.  I've experienced this on some occassions in my younger years while on a mushroom high or the few times I experimented with LSD.  Interesting moments of levity, insightful conversations and theories sprung out of such moments, though once sober and recollection of the nights journey left the pieces distorted and without a linear path.  I'll conclude any mental stat buffing to be much in the same once it has worn off.

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:24:02 PM by archonzero »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »
to me this more seems like a lets make it even harder for the players, even the ones that actually craft and do somthing beside rp and hunt kinda update.

im sorry but i really see this as a negative thing, this effects the fang folks can have less will be made, everything is even MORE slow.

its foolish that you need 10 folks if 4 people died, few for slaying few for bodies few for weapons.

add mules  or let the bags be accesable to all  or make bull potions avialable at murnus or somthing.

just to take a swing at buffers means your indirectly hit the rest to rogues archers they cant do **** anymore, even str based people going to have a rough time whileeeee our beloved casters still roam free like  big bullies ina  todler playground.

ps/ sorry im so mhmmm fired up for this       i just fight for what i think is right....heh  :D
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company