Author Topic: economical system .... tweaked?  (Read 7689 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: economical system .... tweaked?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 11:16:29 AM »
Unfortunatey, for someone like Torgan, he rarely had a middleman. Sometimes one of the Vardo would order stuff through him, having already taken orders (knowing Torgan could and would make the item in a reasonable time period), but most of his customers were repeat customers and direct.

The hub doesn't always work, because after you know who makes the stuff, you'll usually wait for them to pop up to pay the lower prices.

Most crafters do the entire process because waiting for others and depending on others to complete the crafted items becomes extremely time consuming and frustrating.

The only things I've really seen ever that actually involves two crafters usually are steel arrows/bolts, because smithing steel is a tough deal and so is making steel arrows. Steel crossbows are the occasional other item. Often a smith and woodworker will work together.

As for the crafters house, again, not all the crafters are ever on at the same time, if even any. There really would need to be a static NPC merchant to make sure wares were available for sale at all times. As for the Vardo? Yeah, like they can resist keeping their hands out of the cookie jar... :?

Like I said, you need a static if not persistent set up in order to pull it off.  A lot of servers do it, shouldn't be to hard to implement.  Then, you need a Range of prices for sale and resale value, since the Nothing Nothing nothing, Fortune! scale that we currently have, doesn't work from an economics point of view.

As for the middle men, like you said, frustrating and time consuming.

Vardo, not really a factor, topic for another thread.

Would be nice, if all the tradesmen got together and functioned something as a unit but it won't happen because most of the people in the trades aren't there to be a tradesman, they do it to be able to sling gear.  Bit of a difference.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
Let me think a bit in the past... didn't trish try to start up something like that and then all the merchants started... mysteriously disappearing?
Has been described as a sometimey player

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 03:30:02 PM »
Would be nice, if all the tradesmen got together and functioned something as a unit but it won't happen because most of the people in the trades aren't there to be a tradesman, they do it to be able to sling gear.  Bit of a difference.

~Rex

What does that mean exactly ? That they arent crafters first ? That they have other interests and activities ?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »
Let me start by noting that I never mentioned phasing out regular items from shops, but only those that have a character of being magical. I imagine that the armours and bows at Deganwy has a significant hampering effect on the endeavours of a woodworker or leather armourer trying to get buyers for their wares. Removing the exceptional heavy armour and weapons would also benefit the smithing trade, but I'd be more cautious with that for now. However, you should keep in mind that when the supply from NPC merchants is reduced, it's likely that there's going to be a lot more PC crafters as demand rises. The crafting system is also still far from done, with enchanting of items, among other things, yet to be implemented. Before all the rest is in place, we won't have any form of inter-dependent system, or even a fully balanced and functional server-wide economy.

I'm personally not very fond of automated systems that eliminates the buyer and seller having to actually meet though. The motivation behind having a server economy is, for us, much more to spawn roleplay - and that means interaction. I like how some set up IC messages on our forums announcing that they'll provide items for certain prices, or that they'll ask for crafters for certain items etc. An in game notice system might benefit these things even more.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »

~Rex

What does that mean exactly ? That they arent crafters first ? That they have other interests and activities ?

That they are in it either just long enough to make the gear they want for themselves, or as handouts to their ooc friends.  It's an OOC thing.  Not an IC thing.  Crafting done because they can hit the numbers to do it and the motivation being OOC beefing up for one various OOC reason or another, not because of an actual real structured background reason.

Steps on the toes of those in it for the longhaul.  Why buy from serious crafter dwarf guy, when buffed up clericus maximus, will just Give you the gear for nothing?

~Rex

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 03:31:33 AM »
I'm personally not very fond of automated systems that eliminates the buyer and seller having to actually meet though. The motivation behind having a server economy is, for us, much more to spawn roleplay - and that means interaction.
That's the one side of the coin - and i appreciate it! The other side is that during the process of reaching a level on which one can expect that at least 50% of the stuff that goes in the crafting stations will actually result in something, you produce for the trash-bin since NOBODY buys that kind of stuff. I doubt that there will ever be a real market for 100 yew short bows and 75 yew long bows... per crafter, that is... Do the math, that's a few thousand fang for the bin.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 03:38:46 AM »
Simple restructuring of the System to rack it into balance (posted such a structure in one of the crafting threads) takes care of the 50% speed bump of trashbin feeding, since Everything will have a USE.

~Rex