Author Topic: Percentage rolls  (Read 2707 times)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
Percentage rolls
« on: June 16, 2008, 12:58:09 PM »
I'm sure everyone is aware of this and I'm wondering if it's even possible to fix.

Percentage rolls in nwn are messed. Wearing hide armor the chance of spell failure is 20%, which unless I'm horrible at english comprehension should mean that spells fail 2 out of 10 times. However this chance of success seems to be inverted where my characters spells seem to fail 8 out of 10 times. Also with the blindfighting feat, and concealment. Without the blindfighting feat a target with 50% concealment would be hit far less then 50% of the time, more around 20%. Now with the blindfighting feat this number seems to invert itself once again where the rolls seem to succeed more around the 80% mark.

Is there anyway of fixing this, I find the spell failure thing rather frustrating and with the new rest system thats being implemented I can see it becoming even more so. Alot of people can say that one can just remove or change the armor. But I find that kind of ridiculous from an IC standpoint and I try to avoid such. You're char is in the middle of a dark dungeon and decides they're going to start stripping off their armor?

failed.bard

Re: Percentage rolls
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
  Dribo quit wearing armour completely because she failed her 10% spell failure roll three times in a row.  As for blindfighting, you should hit 75% of the time if you have the feat.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »
Or you can design 'clothes' that look identical to your armor in a way that you can ICly take off the 'weight' that cuts down on your arcane casting and thus, do your finger-wiggling.  All my casters do it, and it's not cheesed.  Cheesed would be having full armor and then switching to something that looks completely different, or just switching out back and forth in between fights like every time.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:21:57 PM »
You could do what I do. Cast all the needed, important spells outside the dungeon before going in. Then just play the roulette game once inside. Or try and stick to spells without somantic components. Some spells like Darkness don't suffer from wearing armor.

Personally, I find it funny that I can pick a lock in full plate, but can't cast a simple spell.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:24:02 PM by ethinos »
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:29:07 PM »
Or you can design 'clothes' that look identical to your armor in a way that you can ICly take off the 'weight' that cuts down on your arcane casting and thus, do your finger-wiggling.  All my casters do it, and it's not cheesed.  Cheesed would be having full armor and then switching to something that looks completely different, or just switching out back and forth in between fights like every time.

Normal Clothes, that look the same as armor, or ARMOR that looks the same as normal clothing, so you can insta change back and forth for the benefit of casting spells, is the definition of Cheese.  From one of Blues posts on the subject: -No "Cheesing": "Cheesing" an ability is the act of playing your character as if they have an ability which the NWN engine would not otherwise allow them to have.  There's even better versions of that in one of the dozens of Stop Cheesing threads.

That's why, a lot of places have Armor set ups, that require TIME, to take armor on and off, with significant stat reduction if you rush through the process.

The reasons for Arcane Failure, with Armor go far beyond movement hindrance (masses of Metal etc etc going way back to the dark roots of DnD), though it's specifically for spells with complicated somantic gestures.  Bards get a touch shafted in NwN, because they SHOULD, be able to cast all Arcane spells they know, in Light Armor (they're supposed to get a Free proficiency in any one weapon they like as well.)

In a nutshell :  Wizards and sorcerers do not know how to wear armor effectively.

If desired, they can wear armor anyway (though they'll be clumsy in it), or they can gain training in the proper use of armor (with the various Armor Proficiency feats—light, medium, and heavy—and the Shield Proficiency feat), or they can multiclass to add a class that grants them armor proficiency. Even if a wizard or sorcerer is wearing armor with which he or she is proficient, however, it might still interfere with spellcasting.

Armor restricts the complicated gestures that a wizards or sorcerer must make while casting any spell that has a somatic component (most do). The armor and shield descriptions list the arcane spell failure chance for different armors and shields.

By contrast, bards not only know how to wear light armor effectively, but they can also ignore the arcane spell failure chance for such armor. A bard wearing armor heavier than light or using any type of shield incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance, even if he becomes proficient with that armor.

If a spell doesn't have a somatic component, an arcane spellcaster can cast it with no problem while wearing armor. Such spells can also be cast even if the caster’s hands are bound or if he or she is grappling (although Concentration checks still apply normally). Also, the metamagic feat Still Spell allows a spellcaster to prepare or cast a spell at one spell level higher than normal without the somatic component. This also provides a way to cast a spell while wearing armor without risking arcane spell failure.

That was the book version of how it works.  Picking Locks doesn't compare, Underwater Demolition Teams and their civilian equivalents  preform exceedingly complicated feats of manual dexterity in even more encumbering situations, but the "science" of magic requires you to be free of that sort of thing in order for it to work (the descriptive reasons for it were far better in previous editions of the game).  Also, picking locks isn't that big of a deal, half the people in Construction can do it how do you think we get into half the houses we are supposed to work in, and case in point, many contractor supply house, sell Lock Picks just for that purpose.  Picking a Lock is steady hands perseverance and talent.  Not movement.  Picking POCKETS on the other hand, you don't do wearing a full UDT rig.

I for one would be exceedingly happy, to see the Book versions of Armor, and Armor donning and it's penalties implemented.  Don't think there is a way though to give the bards the no penalty cast in Light armor though.  Think that's hard coded.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:11:59 AM »
I think the armor change referred to was a change from the armor to a suit that closely resembles the armor minus a few pieces to simulate the removing of the armor parts that hinder the spellcasting and not making an exact duplicate of your armor but from clothing

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 01:49:02 AM »
you could take the still spell feat. . .and use that, since thats what it  is designed for.

After all, arcane spell failure come from movement restriction, thats why the armor causes it. It is only caused with arcane, because arcane requires complex gestures and motions, where as divine is more of a prayer.

And armor can be modified, instead of a + to spell failure add a - to it and it should reverse the effects of such.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:51:18 AM by Ellana Twiggy »

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:40:51 AM »
you could take the still spell feat. . .and use that, since thats what it  is designed for.

After all, arcane spell failure come from movement restriction, thats why the armor causes it. It is only caused with arcane, because arcane requires complex gestures and motions, where as divine is more of a prayer.

And armor can be modified, instead of a + to spell failure add a - to it and it should reverse the effects of such.

Haven't tried building one of those in the toolset.  Could make for an interesting item.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.