You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Experimental Revision of the Resting system  (Read 19730 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Experimental Revision of the Resting system
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
i like the rest system i can now calculate how much time i need to run a dungeon with out worry that i can only rest for 3 times, now i can take my time  :).

other interesting thing would be if we could go inside a tent and been big enough for 4 or 5 people could be interesting.

Exactly and when you can stagger like that it opens up more opportunity for Role Crawl as well.  As opposed to OK line up Buff Buff Buff Buff ....CHARGE!

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »
Would love to see the tent create a trans to a "tent area" where while in the tent users get rest as if in an Inn room, however have it a No Magic area.

Tent would have to be only pitchable in wilderness areas and only accessible from the rest menu (so you can't pitch a tent while werewolves are ripping you apart). Also a time delay depending on weather conditions (hard to pitch a tent in heavy winds)

Tent area would me an area big enough to sport maybe 10 to 15 tent 'rooms' and each pitched tent instance would tag to an empty room (if that's even possible) so that characters wouldn't all be arriving in the same tent room even if they pitched it in two seperate parts of the game world.

Anyways, that's how I'd like to see tents working

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
I like the new system. It makes things simpler and easier quite frankly. As Ric said, the "rush!" mentality is somewhat lessened. I'd prefer more system changes like this, and less towards the end of "realistic" or  "closer to pnp." It's much better for roleplay when a person can act at their leisure, rather than playing it safe which eliminates a lot of opportunities.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
I like the new system. It makes things simpler and easier quite frankly. As Ric said, the "rush!" mentality is somewhat lessened.

There's still a lot of group-rushing going on through dungeons. Perhaps this system takes time for players to adapt with for the said mentality of rushing to be lessened? Perhaps the other system was fine and the arguments presented by those who rush dungeons weren't valid as they still keep doing it. (My observations in the console.)

I think there will always be rushing through dungeons, no matter the system you've got in place.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »
Some dungeons still have to be rushed through. The system doesn't really help for the Alhoon, since your spells still wear off half-way through and you've got two levels where you can't rest.

Overall, the system seems good though. Only times where it's been different have been those times where you're used to being able to really blow your load and go all out, and immediately rest, and then blow it again. Now, you have to stop a bit... which is fine, and the only urge to rush comes from the thought that you might get jacked up by a DM. ;)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:34 PM »
I like the new system. It makes things simpler and easier quite frankly. As Ric said, the "rush!" mentality is somewhat lessened.

There's still a lot of group-rushing going on through dungeons. Perhaps this system takes time for players to adapt with for the said mentality of rushing to be lessened? Perhaps the other system was fine and the arguments presented by those who rush dungeons weren't valid as they still keep doing it. (My observations in the console.)

I think there will always be rushing through dungeons, no matter the system you've got in place.

DM's a pretty good detriment to Dungeon Flushers.  I do agree though the Dungeon Campers/Rushers are always going to do such regardless of rest system.  This one does though, Slow them down Just a touch, Unless of course they are carrying a few hundred gallons of the new potions then it's just a brutal sprint to the finish.

For the generalist though, those of us that aren't camping, it adds a few more opportunities to the buffet so to speak.  If Items like the tent and such are in play I was actually thinking if others would find it interesting that a Camp Option be added to the Rest Menu which would automatically set things like that up?

Anyway, still think it needs to be tweaked out a bit longer between stages since one of the things about it I really like, is in PvP situations you don't have a pile of people leaping across the safe transitions, resting, rebuffing, jumping back out, then repeating.  That's a good thing.

~Rex  :twisted:

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »

You have a point. But then again, when I play my fighter, who doesn't need to rest, it is a much different run than with my casters. I don't have to take time variables into account, or worry about using up that weapon. It is the rest system which pushes one to get as far as they can as fast as they can. This doesn't eliminate it completely, but that's not really the goal. There is a valid reason to have the rest system and a valid means of pressuring casters. It's when it's pushed to new extremes that it becomes uncomfortable, and I gladly welcome any changes that roll those factors back a little.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »
I find that the new system benefits my fighter greatly, especially considering now Casters have been bringing the poor fighters along with them to help out becase they can't do the duck duck goose 3 rest insta recharge spells crap anymore.......

Well they CAN, if they time the crawl.  :)  Which is why I think it needs to be bumped out a bit more.  Not much just a bit.  That way it generates more thought and planning instead of the generic Cast Cast Cast Cast Cast ....CHARGE!

Hell if I had my way, Wizards and Clerics would have an section in the Rest menu, that Sticks them in one spot Studying/praying for ONE GAME HOUR.  Apart from the normal Rest Cycle.  Gives Bards and Sorcerers their main advantage (they don't have to prep spells just sleep), and Clerics and Wizards have the Drawback, that goes with their Advantage (sheer number of spells and versatility).  I'd even back off the One Hour portion of the "my way" and allow them the brief time of a rest cycle at the expense of Study/Prayer eating up a rest cycle, and NOT returning hit points.  I'll address that more in another thread.

~Rex

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »
You mean, have the wizard/cleric sitting still for six RL minutes just to rememorize their spells?

Huh. Sounds boring, but I think I'm always having Kurgh read a book anyways, so it wouldn't really affect me. :lol:
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2008, 03:09:28 AM »
You mean, have the wizard/cleric sitting still for six RL minutes just to rememorize their spells?

Huh. Sounds boring, but I think I'm always having Kurgh read a book anyways, so it wouldn't really affect me. :lol:

Exactly.  It's EXCEPTIONALLY non limiting for those that RP being a Wizard or a Cleric.  The only people it would hamper, are the Dungeon Mulchers.  It's Great atmosphere wise, and in a balanced party would lead to tons of RP potential as well.  I've seen these casters go AFK for Hours, so what's wrong with a 6 minute option factored into the current rest cycle?  Want BORING.  11th level Fighter Stuck with either A:  Chatting in a Bar.  B: Rats.  C: Spiders.   A: Spiders are scorched earth half the time, B: Rats should be for low levels, C:  Bars empty half the time.

Honestly, it's a low magic setting.  Fighters don't get Gear of Impact and Importance, the LEAST casters should be required to have to balance out their now Nigh Godlike impact on the environment, is to have those that require Prep, to Prep, and if I could make it happen, to have them Use components so they don't spam spells that normally require a 1000 gp gem as a component, while Fighter Joe and Barbarian Bob scour the lands for a silver dagger.

~Rex

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2008, 03:26:20 AM »
Not sure I can relate to the fact that wizards being superior to sorcerers at current. We don't want system that penalize the player more than it promotes balanced play and roleplay.

However, in all honesty, I do personally agree with Rex that the optimal value for rest intervals is a bit higher - just an IG hour more would do. It'll result in a small few minutes break in rampage concerning turn/level spells. Experience tells me to be cautious when implementing changes though, but at this point, how would it feel to you if it was just those six minutes longer in between?

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
As far as I've been able to experience this system, I wouldn't mind.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2008, 04:39:39 AM »
So far so good - sure - add an extra minute.

I REALLY like Rex's idea on STUDY or PRAYER - it shouldnt give back HPs and it should be maybe an RL minute or two... (6 is a bit long)

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2008, 04:42:53 AM »
That is a great idea Rex!  :thumbup:

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »
Yeap. I agree that it should be higher... maybe even more than that.

I still didn't have a single occurance I wanted to rest and couldn't. With the old system, I had it happen a couple of times >> deadly!
Has been described as a sometimey player

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:48 AM »
interesting idea Rex. im willing to try it out. though its common that lag cancels rest and your character just sits there untill you hit rest again.

it could be frustrating to make your wizard/cleric character rest for 6 minutes and then at some point your rest gets cancelled. you dont know that untill about 6 minutes has passed, then you need to do it again and wait another 6 minutes. in worst cases parties with wizards along might gave to wait very long periods if the rest gets cancelled all the time

not to mention when people wouldnt necessary rp that 6 minute period of sudying or pryaing, but it would be more of a sitting and chatting with rest of the party for that amount of time.

first it gets rp'd but over time it just gets forgotten

though nothing stops casters take the rp initiative now and rp that reading/praying and so on. i dont think those casters that move alone would much rp anyway, but those in party could. but what the rp would be like, emoting the turning of pages or what hehe ?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:31:36 AM by engelfire »
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

failed.bard

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2008, 07:38:37 AM »
  I can't remember having to wait to rest under the new system yet either, though Dribo, my Dwarf, and Wilhelm can all buff twice per rest, so there's little chance of running out of spells unless they're doing full party buffs.  Since none of them end up being the primary casters in most crawls they're on, it's not a problem.

I still think an extra hour that's offset by having a tent and bedroll there is the way to go.  By the time everything is unpacked and repacked it's probably close to the 6 minutes real time anyways.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »
I think it's fine as it is. Currently I wait 3 IG hours to get my spells back, and this is long enough to accomplish any roleplay. It becomes a matter of standing around, usually with fellow casters, counting the minutes until we can rest and move on. Four hours wouldn't really hurt anything, but I don't think it would accomplish anything either.