Author Topic: Experimental Revision of the Resting system  (Read 19733 times)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
Re: Experimental Revision of the Resting system
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
maybe bonuses if you rest with a bedroll and tent and campfire while fully fed and without a full bladder.. Just because some people live their lives on the server doesn't mean I want it to be lifelike.. adding too much takes away from gameplay.. I'm not saying that making a few bonuses for props wouldn't be a bad idea.. but the day my character has to start taking a leak every so many hours is when the realism is way overdone and I think I'll find another server.

Anyways.. love the new rest system so far..

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 08:40:31 PM »
I played a bit last night, but barely rested (since I tend to be near inns). This made me think that we might want to put a restriction on how often we can use inns/safe rest zones. Being able to rest without limitation (because the inns are so cheap, and some places are free), is a bit much when certain inns are in near proximity to dungeons.

Yeah Half the time there is some sort of "Scene" going on in those room's, roughly 50% of the time I pay for a room I can't use it.

As for the realisim taking away from game play, Hell, Speed shifting armor changers, platemail shifted to look like an evening gown, and a host of other things I can list in another thread, that takes away from mine (and more then a few others) gameplay but we don't hurl it out into the teeth of the hell hounds every time a game mechanic is tweaked a bit.

THOUGH, some actual loot would be nice.  Topic for another thread.

It does stand to reason, that if you have Rest ITEMS, there should be some benifit to having them.  Tent is HEAVY.  Not a lot of people carry them.  A useful option, is that you can set it up so that you CAN'T rest in some areas, without the proper equipment, and or, having the Equipment, allows you to Rest In areas you normally would not be able to.

If it's there be nice for it to be useful.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »
I'd love to use a tent that had a way to port into it once set up. 8)
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »
I actually have to disagree with the timing, but maybe it is longer with ellana. She is level 13 now, so, going into a dungeon, and trying to run back out from some of them and rest, well, still waiting several hours. I think the timing is fine honestly. Once you get to a point you can rest there then you should take a moment to do so, if you can. But otherwise, i have found that the most useful thing to have are lots of potions, you can rest all day long, but honestly, unless you are a caster trying to recover spells, it does no good unless you have a health supply of bandages and can heal up all the way.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2008, 11:39:39 PM »
I'd love to use a tent that had a way to port into it once set up. 8)

Actually being about to port into the tent to hide from really bad weather (like, night, winter, mountains) would be pretty cool.

I actually have to disagree with the timing, but maybe it is longer with ellana. She is level 13 now, so, going into a dungeon, and trying to run back out from some of them and rest, well, still waiting several hours. I think the timing is fine honestly. Once you get to a point you can rest there then you should take a moment to do so, if you can. But otherwise, i have found that the most useful thing to have are lots of potions, you can rest all day long, but honestly, unless you are a caster trying to recover spells, it does no good unless you have a health supply of bandages and can heal up all the way.

Bandages are smart.  Combined with the current rest system they are very useful, as for the potions, I REFUSE, to carry a back pack that has more liquid content then Shamu's Tank at Seaworld.  Getting to the point now with the potions, that the second a fight breaks out, the scene looks like an outtake from the Beerfest Movie.  Chug Chug.

Perhaps a bit more time between rests, and maybe, allow for more recovery, more hitpoints, with the presence of various items?

~Rex

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »
I prefer the old rest system, actually.  I thought it was unique and allowed for groups to make a mistake and still be able to recover and keep going (at any time).  I don't think there are any dungeons that require more than three rests anyway.

I used to stop and think about when I used a rest.  I would do risky things at low health when I had no potions to try to string out my remaining rests.  Now, I rest as soon as I get the option to.  I even rest a lot of the time when I don't need to, because it feels like a waste to let the time go by when I could be resting.

As for the new system contributing to roleplay... I disagree.  On the old one, after a big dungeon run, you usually HAD to wait around for about an hour before you could do anything else.  Now, you can dungeon hop as often as you want, even with an 18 minute interval.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2008, 12:46:12 AM »
Maybe, but that mandatory 18 minute interval means you can't burn through three rests worth of spells on one dungeon. Each rest has become more important, with spells being more carefully used. And even that 18 minute interval I think should be extended a bit. As it is, you can rest three times with 18 minute intervals far more often than you used to as a 13+ level in the old system.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2008, 01:08:51 AM »
Yeah but you can't do the Leap across the transition, pound on something get hurt leap back repeat.  So some people don't like it, because it slows down the repeat part.  Me, I like it, and in fact would like to see it tweaked out to a bit more time between the rests.  It's not bad now I think it could be better with the addition of rest items to enhance it a bit........I really think it now adds a bit more of an important element to the game, since you can't run skip run sit rest rejuv the spells whack something rest rejuv the spells run to the next fight and repeat.

~Rex

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2008, 01:10:12 AM »
maybe bonuses if you rest with a bedroll and tent and campfire while fully fed and without a full bladder.. Just because some people live their lives on the server doesn't mean I want it to be lifelike.. adding too much takes away from gameplay.. I'm not saying that making a few bonuses for props wouldn't be a bad idea.. but the day my character has to start taking a leak every so many hours is when the realism is way overdone and I think I'll find another server.

:thumbup:

Some of us log on to the server to escape reality and not to find a new one. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »
Maybe, but that mandatory 18 minute interval means you can't burn through three rests worth of spells on one dungeon. Each rest has become more important, with spells being more carefully used. And even that 18 minute interval I think should be extended a bit. As it is, you can rest three times with 18 minute intervals far more often than you used to as a 13+ level in the old system.

But you also don't get the option of doing something quickly, and like I said, if you screw something up, you're left waiting eighteen minutes.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 01:41:59 AM »
Then don't screw up. 8)

Basically now, you get one rest per dungeon instead of three. To me, that's an important step in the right direction.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2008, 01:49:04 AM »
Then don't screw up. 8)

Basically now, you get one rest per dungeon instead of three. To me, that's an important step in the right direction.

Which makes a lot more sense to me and If you are actually doing a Role Crawl, instead of scorched earth run and blast, you get more then One Rest per dungeon, especially if you are in a balanced party.

But you also don't get the option of doing something quickly, and like I said, if you screw something up, you're left waiting eighteen minutes.

So what are you playing a narcoleptic that falls asleep at the snap of someones fingers?  Seriously, even professional soldiers take years to learn that and it's not like you are actually asleep for the 8 game hours you should be.  Seems like a nice compromise.  Hell my fighter has actually been more efficiant with this rest system, less likely to die by stupid so to speak, and it's been fun to set up camp for a bit and get in more pure RP on the Role Crawl.

:thumbup:

Some of us log on to the server to escape reality and not to find a new one. 

And fine, I REALIZE, some people don't want to be bothered with such Minutia, but for every one of YOU, there is One of US, and as I pointed out above, Your not Asleep for 8 hours.  Your not hampered by heavy armor, or lugging 300 pounds of crap, Your stuff doesn't get broke if you fall over.  There is nothing wrong with a little bit of Structure, and if you are going to implement structure there is nothing wrong with debating what else could be added to it.

It's not like We're adding anything by talking about things like tent's and bedrolls, it's because we enjoy plumbing a game or even potential options in a game.  Just because you could care less, is no reason to constantly pop up with a bunch of "I'm Escaping Reality Not Looking for a New One!" and  :thumbup:(to the one person that said it)  or  :thumbdown: (to the 8 or 9 people looking for more).

IF you have a point beyond ambivalence, Please by all means jump in and present an opposite view.  To me, that whole "Some of Us" argument is right up there with my nephew trying to hold his breath until he gets what he wants.  Give me some facts beyond abstract.

I'm curious as to the actual view.  What's wrong, with a tent?  Is it to heavy, to light, to green, to wrong looking, doesn't blow away in the wind.  The items are IN the game, some people use them and some people don't but what's wrong with adding a few options that you don't even HAVE to take anyway, and most likely won't even get considered for implementation.  It seems to me, especially considering how few people actually voice the "I don't like Lifelike or what have you" are doing so simply because they don't like the people that are having fun batting ideas around, or they are supporting their own little circle of friends.

These are also the same people, that can't be bothered to use a tent, Yet, are all for some developer adding 23 new areas to an encampment in the woods somewhere, since it's structured into the background they'll use it but if they have to get together with 4 other players pop tents, bed rolls, camp fires, make their own small settlement, that's Bad?  To Much Reality?  It's not reality we are looking for those of us that bat around these Ideas.  It's the comraderie in discussing such with other people, it's the BALANCE, aspects of a dynamic system.

Oh, and no one mentioned having to take a leak.  The thread is about the revision of the rest system, we've been reporting in on that, even though others like to pop up with a sentence that basically has nothing to do with it, just ends at a shot fired across the bow of those that look a bit further ahead down the road, and even threats of leaving.

That's just wrong.  Remember there are multiple views on any subject.  Commentary on Rest Systems welcome I'm having a blast testing it out with different types of PC's (made a bunch JUST to test the rest impacts) and batting the ideas and results around with others.  Commentary on what you would like reality wise, another thread please.  Just my 2 cents.  PM if you want the Reply in it's original format.

~Rex

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2008, 08:51:25 PM »
I would actually carry a tent on my chars, but saddly, my fighter is the only one strong enough to carry one and all her junk and not be encumbered.  lol, my poor caster there's no way. She'd be trying to drag it everywhere and then be exausted after the first mile of any trip.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
I'm curious as to the actual view.  What's wrong, with a tent?

It weighs too much.  That's what's wrong with it.  END OF STORY. 

Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

failed.bard

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »
I'm curious as to the actual view.  What's wrong, with a tent?

It weighs too much.  That's what's wrong with it.  END OF STORY. 

20 pounds isn't unreasonable for a tent weight.  Just set it up outside a dungeon before you go in.

I do think the idea of being able to port into tent would be interesting, but the same could almost be accomplished simply by having the front side of it be able to be walked through.  Then you zoom right in and become oblivious to the outside world.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »
Yeah, the tent is heavy, but just one more reason to have a burly fighter in the party. To share the tent and have the fighter lug it around. Bedrolls are all the typical adventurer needs anyways (excepting inclement weather), and are much more reasonable to carry around.

And enough with the "END OF STORIES". Remember, here, we beat the horses long past death. :lol:

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »
*attempts to ressurect the horse.. or failing that.. saws off the hooves and begins making glue*

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »
*attempts to ressurect the horse.. or failing that.. saws off the hooves and begins making glue*

Don't forget to make Jello from the hooves. Always room, you know.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2008, 10:51:09 PM »
Yeah, the tent is heavy, but just one more reason to have a burly fighter in the party. To share the tent and have the fighter lug it around. Bedrolls are all the typical adventurer needs anyways (excepting inclement weather), and are much more reasonable to carry around.

And enough with the "END OF STORIES". Remember, here, we beat the horses long past death. :lol:

I've declared my explanation to be the "END Of STORY" and that's it.  It's the END.  No more discussion.  I've spoken the last world. The end.   :lol:

***Excuse me while I check to see what spike is in my diet 7-UP***
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2008, 05:33:30 AM »

I've declared my explanation to be the "END Of STORY" and that's it.  It's the END.  No more discussion.  I've spoken the last world. The end.   :lol:

Proof of Gender, has to get the Last Word!   :lol:

Tent's beefy yes but 20 pounds is not unreasonable for the tech level.  Not getting any real benifit out of that 20 pounds can be a real pain, but if it were tweaked to say, allow shorter resting durations (ie: nice comphy tent, out of the weather), then expanding the duration would make for an interesting hook to get folks to pick up a tent, bedroll, pitch real camps, and generate a dynamic.

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:28 AM »
Tent's beefy yes but 20 pounds is not unreasonable for the tech level.  Not getting any real benifit out of that 20 pounds can be a real pain, but if it were tweaked to say, allow shorter resting durations (ie: nice comphy tent, out of the weather), then expanding the duration would make for an interesting hook to get folks to pick up a tent, bedroll, pitch real camps, and generate a dynamic.

~Rex

That would make for an interesting addition to the system.  Have a 2 hour quasi ready to rest time at the end, an hour each to be taken off by a tent and bedroll.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2008, 06:34:45 AM »
I carry: bedroll, flint and steel, spare dried meat, dried rations, ink, quill, a doll and a top for my daughter, a waterskin, a canister of milk, usually a box full of different foodstuffs, a box of heavy winter clothing (clothes cloak mask), performance clothes (clothing cloak hat rings bracers lute throat lotions)

If the tent was clickable, even if it did nothing game-wise beyond a graphic, just an option to rest by clicking on it, I would carry one. For a while I was even carrying a cooking pot thinking I could set it up like it is in the greminshka/hobgoblin/ogre lairs so that I could cook in it. The bedroll I carry so I can leave stuff on it (like my daughter and her toys, when I carry her around)

And yes... I always walk with bull's strenght effect on. When I get level 12, I'll put a point there and I'll carry the tent too... I suppose.

Actually, tents and bedrolls DON'T need a in game effect. Just make it so when you click on it, it has 1) Rest, 2) Repack. It can't be THAAAAT ultra hard. And no, I don't know scripting to do it myself.

We want tents! We want tents!
Has been described as a sometimey player

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2008, 06:42:25 AM »
I'll be checking on the tent/campfire thing and how it reacts toward the weather. I'll also be adding an advantage to resting with a bedroll, most likely giving some extra hit points restored.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

Proof of Gender, has to get the Last Word!   :lol:

~Rex

You can always spot the married guys.   :lol:

Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Ryoga

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2008, 02:12:30 PM »
i like the rest system i can now calculate how much time i need to run a dungeon with out worry that i can only rest for 3 times, now i can take my time  :).

other interesting thing would be if we could go inside a tent and been big enough for 4 or 5 people could be interesting.