Author Topic: Experimental Revision of the Resting system  (Read 19729 times)

engelfire

• Dark Power
Re: Experimental Revision of the Resting system
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 04:20:44 AM »
someone once said that you do get bonus against cold if near campfire. its lowers the cold fort save dc i think.

if you start a fire in the open, on a -20 celsius outdoors, possibly windy, making it feel even more cold.. i dont really think the small fire you made would nullify the effects of cold. you might feel slightly warmer but you would still be freezing your ass off.

i bet all who been camping or in the army during winter knows that ;) atleast when i was, it was extremely cold winter day, we build a fire so those who were not in demolition training could atleast little warm up, but it didnt help much, and it was quite big fire too
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 04:30:37 AM »
Body heat works much better, and you have to Contain warmth for it to do any good.

~Rex, Taught Winter Survival.
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 05:28:00 AM »
Sitting close to a campfire is calculated into the effective temperature damage already. Sitting just at the entrance of a tent protects you against the chill factor of the wind.

It might be a nice idea with the bedroll though...

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »
A bit off topic, but speaking of temperature, the beetle cave is supposed to be rather hot, but when you open the rest menu it's only fifty-something degrees.

failed.bard

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 07:51:57 AM »
A bit off topic, but speaking of temperature, the beetle cave is supposed to be rather hot, but when you open the rest menu it's only fifty-something degrees.

50 celsius?  That's already into the lethal range of temperatures if it is.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 07:56:02 AM »
Sitting close to a campfire is calculated into the effective temperature damage already. Sitting just at the entrance of a tent protects you against the chill factor of the wind.

It might be a nice idea with the bedroll though...

Seriously? Never found that to be so... I have to test it.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »
Yeah I'm all over this too.  Definitly going to test that out.

Still, I miss the days when you could layer protective clothing, boots cloaks armor and gloves.  Could we bring that back please, perhaps add a simple system of making the stuff Weigh more?  Perhaps taking damage from Heat Prostration to in the right situations.  I hate, looking over at the person wearing next to no clothes, and no pants, yet because they have fur boots on, they are as toasty warm as the guy bundled up like sasquatch.

On topic though, I am liking the new system, keeps people from slot resting (That's Nuke the bad guy, cross a transition, rest, return Nuke again, repeat three times).  Should be adjusted though so you can't Rest in armor over Light.

~Rex

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »
Should be adjusted though so you can't Rest in armor over Light.

This really isn't something that'll be very useful here as donning armor takes nothing more than a click, and only in a few areas do you get attacked while trying to rest.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Ah HA....You haven't  been resting out in certain areas have you?.  Resting in certain places will draw a HORDE of monsters down on your head.  Especially Shadows.  And, once they are within Roll initiative range, you can't put the armor back on.

~Rex

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »
I know which ones draw critters, but not all do, so like I mentioned, only in certain areas will your recommendation even prove useful.

But, even then, it makes it handy to keep a couple PC's on watch/guard duty while others rest.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »
Very useful however if something like an Armor donning time to avoid discomfort modifiers is added.

~Rex

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »
Very useful however if something like an Armor donning time to avoid discomfort modifiers is added.

~Rex

although i'm all for immerision and usually would agree with this there are times i myself just want to log in and slay things quick and easy before logging again

also on an unrelated matter i cant spell today

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »
I'm actually all for armor donning times, to prevent folks from switching instantly to rebuff or instantly arming up when something nasty pops out of the woodwork without warning, but that's a different recommendation for a different thread.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »
I'm actually all for armor donning times, to prevent folks from switching instantly to rebuff or instantly arming up when something nasty pops out of the woodwork without warning, but that's a different recommendation for a different thread.

It still ties into a rest system though if it's something that's potentially incorporated, so that folks don't get a comfy 8 hours sleep in platemail.  I think this current system, due to the fact that game time passes so quickly, could do with a touch more time in between rests though.

~Rex

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 11:29:30 PM »
Eh, you are probably right about that. Maybe double the times? Or make more tiers.

As it stands, you are getting more rests in now than before.

Take the level 6 for example. He can get three rests in, in only 3 game hours. Used to take twice that long for the three rests.

Level 13+? Three rests in 9 hours... instead of the 13.

I guess maybe doubling it becomes harsh towards the higher end folks, but maybe that's a good thing to keep clerics and wizards from just burning all their spells, knowing they can rest two more times in a quick dungeon run.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:50 AM »
Eh, you are probably right about that. Maybe double the times? Or make more tiers.

As it stands, you are getting more rests in now than before.

Take the level 6 for example. He can get three rests in, in only 3 game hours. Used to take twice that long for the three rests.

Level 13+? Three rests in 9 hours... instead of the 13.

I guess maybe doubling it becomes harsh towards the higher end folks, but maybe that's a good thing to keep clerics and wizards from just burning all their spells, knowing they can rest two more times in a quick dungeon run.

An EXTREMELY good thing.  Would be better to if you could seperate Rest from Prayer and or Spell Study, but that's just me.  I do think the time needs to be stretched between rests though.  What we have now just seems quick.

~Rex

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 02:36:52 AM »
After discussions within the development team, we've agreed to experiment with revising how the resting system works. The motivation is mainly to make people feel less of an urge or need to hurry.

What we'll do for now is skip away with the three rest slot timer system and simply have one. The average time between rests will be considerably lowered, however, as you can see by this chart:

Code: [Select]
Level:    Duration between rests:

2-6       1 in-game hour/6 minutes

7-12      2 in-game hours/12 minutes

13+       3 in-game hours/18 minutes

As said, this is just an experiment for now, and we hope it won't cause any grief to you. Please try out in game how it feels and get back to us with your experiences.

Here's my experience:  I rested, wandered around then rested again in what seemed like the fastest 30 minutes I've ever seen.  No wonder:  It was probably 18 minutes.   :D

I gotta start reading the fine print. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 03:12:46 AM »
See? If Calor is happy about one of the game systems, its obviously too lenient. :twisted: "To the pain!"

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 10:26:18 AM »
The way I see it, this makes multi-classed casters a lot less stressful to play in the long-run, since their buffs tend to run out quickly.  If you were to make, say, a level 10 fighter / 10 wizard, for example, it was stressful during the previous system, since the buffs would last for half the amount of what a level 20 wizard would cast.  If you maximized the time you had with your spells (aka resting only when the buffs go out), by the time you rested 3 times as the level 20 wizard, your 20 hours you had to wait were gone.  However, the level 10/10 caster would be stuck with many hours to go, becuase he had to rest twice as much as the wizard.

Now with the system, the 10/10 person's buffs last for 16 minutes (26 if he extends), which means that after the buffs run out, he actually can rest.

Now before anyone goes "That's unfair", they should consider that this means that level 10/10 person doesn't have to rush so much to get his job done.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »
See? If Calor is happy about one of the game systems, its obviously too lenient. :twisted: "To the pain!"

This made me laugh.   :lol:

The new standard:  Calor's misery index.   
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 11:20:38 AM »
Still want to stretch out the times between rests a bit because frankly, and I'll be honest, I don't like seeing a bunch of buffed Dungeon Grinders wandering from Dungeon to dungeon constantly at their A game.  That's one of the reasons I'd like to see a separation between spell recovery, and resting.

On another hand, and I think a more important one, this type of rest implement helps out the people that can actually function somewhat without a buff, and makes stopping for a rest on a long hike to RP a bit, more of an option during a role crawl.

~Rex

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »
Actually, some clothes do stack. Try mountaineer's mask, elven winter cloak and ultra brand new secret thick fur clothing *not telling you where you get it*

Sure, you only get /10 resistance... but +6 saves vs cold bonus *tested and true* +2 for each piece of clothing
Has been described as a sometimey player

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
The bonuses vs saves always stack, but the resistances don't, which is where it would be most useful. That +6 save vs cold doesn't help as much when those DC's jump into the 40's and 50's.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 06:26:17 PM »
Yeah the winter clothing situation stinks.  I don't like the fact my Bundled up head to toes in furs guy, has exactly the same resistance to cold as the elf pin up girl wearing nothing but fur boots.  Not like we're in an Arctic environment or anything.

As for the resting one of the things I have liked a lot, is that you can't immediately stagger rest on a dungeon crawl.......though I maintain that a bit more time needs to be added between rests, it would be interesting to see Items like Bedrolls and such tied into the rest system to either grant a reduction in time periods between rests, or more benefits from resting with all the accoutrement's.

~Rex

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »
I played a bit last night, but barely rested (since I tend to be near inns). This made me think that we might want to put a restriction on how often we can use inns/safe rest zones. Being able to rest without limitation (because the inns are so cheap, and some places are free), is a bit much when certain inns are in near proximity to dungeons.