Author Topic: Experimental Revision of the Resting system  (Read 19732 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Experimental Revision of the Resting system
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »
After discussions within the development team, we've agreed to experiment with revising how the resting system works. The motivation is mainly to make people feel less of an urge or need to hurry.

What we'll do for now is skip away with the three rest slot timer system and simply have one. The average time between rests will be considerably lowered, however, as you can see by this chart:

Code: [Select]
Level:    Duration between rests:

2-6       1 in-game hour/6 minutes

7-12      2 in-game hours/12 minutes

13+       3 in-game hours/18 minutes

As said, this is just an experiment for now, and we hope it won't cause any grief to you. Please try out in game how it feels and get back to us with your experiences.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
Re: Experimental Revision of the Resting system
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:18 AM »
More realistic and cool on one hand but its a fact that some of the harder dungeons actually NEED parties to rest to regain spells, healing etc.

An 18 minute wait before proceeding to the next area in the Scrag caves or at the Demonologists is both dangerous and boring... sure we can shoot the breeze for 18 minutes... so we clear the next area and then need another 18 minute rest before the final room. Spiders will be a major challenge if you get 2 unlucky saves and your cleric is out of Lesser Restorations then you are screwed unless you have a crossbow (longbows are auto affected by lower str even if they aren't mighty).

You may find you need to remodify certain areas such as the Barovian Cyrpt lower levels, the Demonologist temple, the Scrag caves, the Ice Queen and the Lich tower... which more or less need you to rest in between 'stages'.

Not dissing the idea... in fact is cool and a bit more realistic, more prone to promote partying etc, but I think that re-adjustment is needed.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
Well, let's see how it goes for now. Time usually flies when fighting. These durations should allow you to buff up turn/level spells when you're done resting and you'll be able to rest again once they run out. I actually consider these values pretty lenient.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »
More realistic and cool on one hand but its a fact that some of the harder dungeons actually NEED parties to rest to regain spells, healing etc.

An 18 minute wait before proceeding to the next area in the Scrag caves or at the Demonologists is both dangerous and boring... sure we can shoot the breeze for 18 minutes... so we clear the next area and then need another 18 minute rest before the final room. Spiders will be a major challenge if you get 2 unlucky saves and your cleric is out of Lesser Restorations then you are screwed unless you have a crossbow (longbows are auto affected by lower str even if they aren't mighty).

You may find you need to remodify certain areas such as the Barovian Cyrpt lower levels, the Demonologist temple, the Scrag caves, the Ice Queen and the Lich tower... which more or less need you to rest in between 'stages'.

Not dissing the idea... in fact is cool and a bit more realistic, more prone to promote partying etc, but I think that re-adjustment is needed.

This is a puzzlement:  If a cleric has limited spell slots and limited rest opportunities, how does that somehow promote partying?   If anything, it's promoting soloing or partying with someone who can take care of their own needs. 

My $0.02 worth.

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »
In game I haven't seen any changes to the rest system. Will it be effective on the next update?

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:03:32 AM »
In game I haven't seen any changes to the rest system. Will it be effective on the next update?

Yup, working on it right now.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
I like this idea, a lot.  This will make multi-classed casters a lot more enjoyable to play again, since they were becoming very painful with all the spell duration nerfs making adventuring limited.

I approve, highly.  :) :) :)

Edit:  And on another note, yes, this will make adventuring a lot less rush-feeling.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:49:40 AM by Ric »

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
I like the idea but let's see before we judge, yes?
Has been described as a sometimey player

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
I say Add components to spell casting, combined with a rest system like this, and maybe, just maybe, these casters will take a fighter along with them.  Looks like an interesting system, can't wait to try it out especially since I play pretty much a buffless fighter that doesn't even carry more then a handful of potions on him.

The Lost Dale server also has a very interesting Rest system (and a healing item system and a few other things) that someone on the dev team might want to hope over and take a look.  Very Nifty.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Serevain

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:48 PM »
It's too bad a server like the Lost Dale is so dead with it's player base, the systems are nifty.

Virgil, Shattered Husk
Sir Tristan Crowley, Bastard Knight of the Charitable One
Operon Amentlus, Dwarf Magus
Ignatie Carmitru, Vallaki Garda

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »
It's too bad a server like the Lost Dale is so dead with it's player base, the systems are nifty.

Haze had a lot of the same systems, And they have a very novel approach to descriptions, and Items as well.  The players that ARE there are top notch and I like to go there to play (RUN, it's the Chickens!) tend to be of a top notch quality, with the exception of 1 or 2 people.  That's a pretty good ratio.

I REALLY, like a lot of their systems though, but then I liked them back in the Haze days as well.

~Rex

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:36:22 PM »
I actually like it a great deal more, considering that before once you used up two to three rests  you were waiting an hour per level to rest, this is much more player friendly and realistic.   After all, it does premote partying in the sense that if you have one or two clerics and one or two mages then you can alternate forces of fire and healing as the warriors proceed. I think it will go a long ways to helping with team work.  Besides, would rather wait 18 minutes as opposed to 12+hours in game, which is. . oh. . .36+ minutes.
And, it will alot for some extra rp time as players are taking turns resting,guarding, and so forth.  Of course, all  could rest at once, wait for the monsters to eat them in thier sleep :-p

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 02:56:50 AM »
So far this is working out nicely for the unbuffed Fighter.  I still like the Lost Dale rest system a touch better but this one now is far superior to the old one.

~Rex

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 05:32:40 AM »
Care to explain the Lost Dale system, in brief?
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

mayvind

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »
I like the system.  :D

Serevain

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »
The Lost Dale:

Gives options:

1. Take a ten-minute breather.
2. Take a half an hour to recuperate.
3. Rest an hour.
4. Take an hour to study spells or regain feats.

I believe every time you rest, a food item is used, and it disappears. Food is cookable, there, too. The screen blacks out, come back, and you're lying down on a prespawned bedroll, and you can't do anything.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:29:20 AM by Virgil/Tristan Crowley/Henry Prill »

Virgil, Shattered Husk
Sir Tristan Crowley, Bastard Knight of the Charitable One
Operon Amentlus, Dwarf Magus
Ignatie Carmitru, Vallaki Garda

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »
The Lost Dale:

Gives options:

1. Take a ten-minute breather.
2. Take a half an hour to recuperate.
3. Rest an hour.
4. Take an hour to study spells or regain feats.

I believe every time you rest, a food item is used, and it disappears. Food is cookable, there, too. The screen blacks out, come back, and you're lying down on a prespawned bedroll, and you can't do anything.

Hitpoints recover differently based on which you pick, as well as Hunger Thirst and Fatigue, Also, seperates Spell recoverey from rest (at least it seems to).  I like it a lot.  Feels more DnDish less Console-ish.

Still, Like this new system we have here a lot better then the old one.  But I like detail.  :D

~Rex

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »
I say Add components to spell casting, combined with a rest system like this, and maybe, just maybe, these casters will take a fighter along with them.  Looks like an interesting system, can't wait to try it out especially since I play pretty much a buffless fighter that doesn't even carry more then a handful of potions on him.

Somewhat off topic, but I consider that an odd comment when many of your characters are hard to approach. One in particular, though a caster himself, screamed at someone for healing him. My mage in all likelyhood isn't going to take along any strangers that don't openly invite it. In other instance, there's a dwarf fighter I'd like to start using as my tank in many cases, but his reaction to being asked was to go into intimidation mode and chase off my rogue with an axe.

As a caster, I'm not approaching anyone that I wouldn't trust to be familiar with who he is and how he handles himself. That means there is a handful of people available. If those people aren't on and I don't see any prospects to work on, I'll solo.

Hard to comment on this system when I haven't played it yet, but it doesn't sound too bad.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »

Somewhat off topic, but I consider that an odd comment when many of your characters are hard to approach. One in particular, though a caster himself, screamed at someone for healing him. My mage in all likelyhood isn't going to take along any strangers that don't openly invite it. In other instance, there's a dwarf fighter I'd like to start using as my tank in many cases, but his reaction to being asked was to go into intimidation mode and chase off my rogue with an axe.

As a caster, I'm not approaching anyone that I wouldn't trust to be familiar with who he is and how he handles himself. That means there is a handful of people available. If those people aren't on and I don't see any prospects to work on, I'll solo.

Hard to comment on this system when I haven't played it yet, but it doesn't sound too bad.

>>>Raising hand<<<

I'm approachable.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »
heh, they could always switch it to a camping system, where in order to rest you would have to set up a tent/bedroll, make a fire, and eat. . .or rest in an inn in order to rest. I've seen that one in effect, and though it is irritating at first, it is more realistic and kinda of fun for rp when you have everyone in a party setting up thier tent and such.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »

Try and keep the enviroment of the game involved where Drive by Healings and such are concerned.  My one Caster PC (volstagg) Doesn't care for the hands of opposing faithless Heretics upon him, Otto, frankly feels Pain is just weakness leaving the body and DESPISE's Most casters/non humans/non falkovnians/women/or Non Soldiers.

No one has EVER (well ONCE, but it may as well be Never), approached any of my PC's as a caster, and tried to RP anything out adventure wise (with the exception of a few Falkovnians, and a dwarf or two.) but they will Charge in, start slinging spells on them or around them,  Slam into the foray with flaming glowing weapons whirling about them, smashing everything in site and stealing the Kill so to speak, and then wonder why the native with the dislike of "non humans/humans" (depending on PC), Dislike of Magic/Opposing Faith, Dislike of Glory Stealers, Gets ANGRY at them.

Just Drive By Heals and Spell Flinging doesn't work for me.  More details on that available as a PM if needed.

That aside, I am liking the new rest system it seems far smootheer and less clunky then the old one.

~Rex

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:18 AM »
Can we PLEASE make it possible so when you click on a bedroll/tent, it also has an option to *R E S T* (not only to repack it)? It would be sooo cool! We could also  -but not necessarily- make it so that you heal 1 hit point more if you use it. That would make bedrolls/campfires/tent more of a useful thing instead of just a cool graphic effect.
Has been described as a sometimey player

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 03:39:06 AM »
What I'd like to see personally is cold damage from weather being null if you're sitting close to a campfire.  Would be helpful for when you're up in the mountains and you're waiting still.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 03:44:58 AM »
What I'd like to see personally is cold damage from weather being null if you're sitting close to a campfire.  Would be helpful for when you're up in the mountains and you're waiting still.

That's a great idea.   :thumbup:
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 04:12:57 AM »
I've actually wondered about that, thinking to myself, "why am i still cold near my camp fire?"
I love the idea as well if it can some how be scripted in.