You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: RDD Skin - Suggestion  (Read 7261 times)

UBERboomer

• New to the Mists
RDD Skin - Suggestion
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:55:49 AM »
Something I've come across on a different server was this custom skin for RDD's at level 10

I personally think it would fit in nicely with the setting and would bring alot more fear to the supposidly Half dragons.

How I really dislike 'half dragons' sitting around the campfire talking to the people

Well here it is, I'm really not sure how the scripting goes to put this in or whatever, however I could possibly find out.

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=TuulMoon.jpg

Ellana Twiggy

Re: RDD Skin - Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:43:03 AM »
That is rather nice actually, though I might like something a bit more subtle.  Not going to have a 20 cha and look like that. hehe. Maybe a tail.

UBERboomer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:22:33 AM »
I think the whole idea is to be a half dragon, your going to look the part.
Perhaps it could be a optional thing?

I'd much prefer to have my planned RDD looking like that, than some man with a wings and having to say [Rawwrrr looks like a dragon be scared]

failed.bard

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »
I think the whole idea is to be a half dragon, your going to look the part.
Perhaps it could be a optional thing?

I'd much prefer to have my planned RDD looking like that, than some man with a wings and having to say [Rawwrrr looks like a dragon be scared]

Except, with the nature of the module, it'd be more like [Rawwrrr looks like a dragon... gets killed] because there would be no concealing of the identity possible in that case, and no sympathy from most of the player base towards the completely inhuman monster /by choice/.  It would look neat, for about five minutes.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
Regardless of the nature of the module, RDD's get progressively more Non Human looking, and choosing to ignore that would be rather cheesy.  Non of the Other morphicly different races get to Ignore their drawbacks, neither should the RDD.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

UBERboomer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:35:24 PM »
Meh to be honest if your half dragon you should be shunned anyway. And I think that most 'half dragons' try to conceal how they look when they really woudnt be able to hide the wings, perhaps a tail, the scales pointy teeth, lizard like eyes perhaps hissing in the voice etc.
Being shunned will just open another door for RP, it is likely that someone looking ilke that is either going to get alot of pvp... or perhaps not as they run in fear from the beasty outside the door.
However there can be much more to these characters than the beast that constantly attacks town.

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
Regardless of the nature of the module, RDD's get progressively more Non Human looking, and choosing to ignore that would be rather cheesy.  Non of the Other morphicly different races get to Ignore their drawbacks, neither should the RDD.

As you get more levels of RDD your Outcast rating does go up

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:33:01 PM »
You can also expect DM's to start messing with you as soon as your natural AC increases to +2 or 3 via your scaley ass skin.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »
I always suggest at Natural AC +3 a RM to change the characters skin to Redd/reddish. Its too bad the color palette onyl has scales colored gold.. red and others would be nice.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »
It was to my understanding that dragon disciples were not half-dragons.  In fact, it just means that there is dragon blood somewhere down their line.  I think they could be 1/32 dragon blood for all I know.  It's their inherent magical abilities that allow them to tap into their heritage.  I don't think that means they should be morphing completely into dragontaurs.  Even though that's what NWN's book says...

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:52:32 PM »
When you reach lvl 10 in the RDD prestige class you become a Half Dragon, with wings, scales, and an immunity to sleep, fire, and paralysis.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:17 PM »
all of which is quite true, however, dragons in lore and in the books have the innate ability to take on the form of humans, elves, dwarves, and so forth at will. So in essensce, if you really want a true half dragon, you would be giving them some of the same minor beneifits.
All in all it boils down to player choice on appearance really i think. If you want to be a scally, go for it.
Oh, and wings can easily be hidden by a cloak, unless they are ginormous firey demon wings.
I play atlantia as the armor skin states itself, barely noticable translucent/flourescent scales which cover the skin.  And, the problem with being half dragon, once you get your wings, which takes till lvl nine for some reason, most will think you half demon in barovia. And you will probably be stonned and burned.

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 11:35:11 PM »
It's translucent- At the first level. It becomes increasingly more obvious as you progress in levels.

When you start getting a +2 or 3 armor boost, the same that kobolds and lizard kin get, and you RP that you have "unnoticable scales", then your just cheesing.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »
In all the reference materials I've come across, you actually gain the half-dragon template at level 10. Meaning, you become a half-dragon. Completely.

Through some kind of metamorphosis brought on by your sorcerer/bardic arcane powers and the lingering of draconic blood in your ancestry, you are turning into a half-dragon. You are becoming very reptilian. One level in RDD isn't much, but your eventual transformation is going to be very obvious and very unnatural.

And wings won't be "easy" to hide with a cloak. In PnP you can even fly with them. Worst case scenario, you can pass as a freakish hunchback.

RDD is like the pale master, when it comes to appearance. The more levels you take, the more unnatural and monstrous your appearance. Role playing it any less would be cheesing.

Edit: Kung Fu Orc is quicker than me.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 01:07:40 AM »
Oh, and wings can easily be hidden by a cloak, unless they are ginormous firey demon wings.

Yeah... just because NWN does things poorly, I think someone is woefully being unrealistically silly in saying "Cause Bioware hid my wings when I wore a cloak to prevent awful clipping, they must be unnoticable!"

Wings should be plenty trouble for an RDD, just imagine all manner of "fun" in trying to find armor altered to be worn with such things or trying to don it and dress quickly. There isn't any Big and Freaky Shop and Smithy in Barovia that I ever stumbled across.
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

UBERboomer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »
Why I think the skin shown will be a good addition to the mod showing the true half dragons, however I do agree with it being optional perhaps? so that if some would rather RP hiding their traits, me on the other hand would love to look like a half dragon and that skin.

On another note, I've played on a server where dragons get the fly ability where they get to jump over things at a certain distance, which I think was a nice addition. There was also something called 'leap of the clouds' which was practically the same but was more of a jump ability that was open to monks and ninja's. The two classes could be changed due to the mod and the ninja class was just a custom class to that mod.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »
well, if one did get wings it would be neat to have a special widget that had an on use target to jump for a certain distance. Would make the rp much more interesting. I could see it working as well for other things, ie things that can turn into bats, as a sort of fly ability and keep from having to have a dm port one around all the time when rping it.  Maybe a suggestion to the development council?

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 10:14:24 PM »
I don't see the jumping widget happening. Could lead to abuse. Wererats and werewolves don't get any jumping widgets. And trust me, they need it for those who like using the graveyard hill or gate walls.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 10:30:38 PM »
I don't see why were rats/wolves/ other neuri wouldn't be able to jump either.  Since the npc ones can do it, it seems to make perfect sense.  Technically, you would have the strength for such, so  why not? Makes  less sense to have to  run through the church when in reality you would just jump up there and  pummel the agressors against you.  Maybe something small, like five to ten meters would be reasonable?
But I digress, sorry for getting off topic. 
As far as skins go, rdd, given the game engine alots for only red dragons, the question also remains, if you were from another dragon background, could it be lettoed for the proper resistance and wing type/tail type amongst other things?
There is a handy thing which is in the eberon world, soft leather gloves which allow half dragons to appear as thier other self, ie, elf, human, dwarf, ect. It is possible that some of the  mages (npcs) would know of such a thing and possibly make it available to players with the class. This would solve any issues with appearance, though I imagine that it  would be  more of a description on the gloves and a rp tool, unless you  could take them off and polymorph some how. But I think that might make things too complicated.

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:31 PM »
If I recall correctly, DrDs are only capable of hopping off of elevated surfaces and gliding at best.

Leap of Clouds is a ki-powered supernatural ability of master monks. Think Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon.

I personally advocate using tactics like high-ground against monsters. I'm not a fan of snarling monsters parking themselves on the doorsteps of massively fortified cities with ballista/catapults/siege engines/manned walls or outside buildings containing over 100 character level's worth of adventurers armed to the teeth. I keep thinking "one day someone will huck an implosion off the ridge and kill some some monster PC and maybe they'll come to realize how silly monsters lurking on the doorstep of population centers is." To me it just kills logical and realistic immersion. Looking for victims, I'd go for mildly trafficked, yet out of the way areas. Not Mordenkainen's Tower Courtyard or the Adventurer's Guild.

But that's just my opinion.
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 02:53:07 AM »
If I recall correctly, DrDs are only capable of hopping off of elevated surfaces and gliding at best.

Leap of Clouds is a ki-powered supernatural ability of master monks. Think Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon.

I personally advocate using tactics like high-ground against monsters. I'm not a fan of snarling monsters parking themselves on the doorsteps of massively fortified cities with ballista/catapults/siege engines/manned walls or outside buildings containing over 100 character level's worth of adventurers armed to the teeth. I keep thinking "one day someone will huck an implosion off the ridge and kill some some monster PC and maybe they'll come to realize how silly monsters lurking on the doorstep of population centers is." To me it just kills logical and realistic immersion. Looking for victims, I'd go for mildly trafficked, yet out of the way areas. Not Mordenkainen's Tower Courtyard or the Adventurer's Guild.

But that's just my opinion.

Agreed, but the Monsters tend to go where the peons are easy to find as opposed to potentially dangerous competition.  Eat the Weak, Trample the Dead.
But, that supposed safety can be an illusion, since some critters can jump.  Still though have found several nice items that are very cheap that seem to work.

Anyway, back to the RDD thing.  The thing with the RDD, is that they get Progressively better as they level, and Progressively less Human Looking, as they Level.  Other dragon backgrounds were already nixed in another thread and other things in that thread were declared cheesing anyway so basically, You get what you get.  Want to be the fire breathing descendant of Smaug, then you have to deal with the drawbacks the environment hands you.

~Rex

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 05:43:36 PM »
Man what? I knew Smaug was a pimp. Bard must've been so pissed off cause Smaug was dittling his wife!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 06:39:49 PM »
Man what? I knew Smaug was a pimp. Bard must've been so pissed off cause Smaug was dittling his wife!

I think Bard was more ticked his folks named him Bard.  I'm sure he took quite the ribbing in Bowman school with a name like that, waking up to find mandolins and such in his bunk.

~Rex

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 07:41:08 AM »
I don't see why were rats/wolves/ other neuri wouldn't be able to jump either.  Since the npc ones can do it, it seems to make perfect sense.  Technically, you would have the strength for such, so  why not? Makes  less sense to have to  run through the church when in reality you would just jump up there and  pummel the agressors against you.  Maybe something small, like five to ten meters would be reasonable?

Jumping Widgets have already been denied by the developers on the basis that it could be too easy to abuse, if you want to be able to "jump" you just have to wait till a DM is watching and available to do so

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 11:10:38 AM »

Jumping Widgets have already been denied by the developers on the basis that it could be too easy to abuse, if you want to be able to "jump" you just have to wait till a DM is watching and available to do so

When jumping is actually tied to a stat mechanic or even an additional skill etc, it seems functional (though a little goofy looking sometimes).  The easiest way to keep it from being abused, is to have Jump Points in areas with a DC assigned.  Keeps people from hoping all over the place like a bad WoW game.

~Rex