You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Crossbow Bolts  (Read 3593 times)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Crossbow Bolts
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
I think all of the bolts that add damage (steel, silver vs shapeshifters, etc.) should add slashing damage instead of piercing damage so that they can stack with the machinist's crossbow.

kenpen

• Dark Power
Re: Crossbow Bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
I think all of the bolts that add damage (steel, silver vs shapeshifters, etc.) should add slashing damage instead of piercing damage so that they can stack with the machinist's crossbow.

Prolly better to make the machinists do slashing, since the bolts affect everyone's crossbows and the machinist is just one item.

But, yeah, I think they should stack too.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »
you mean they dont? OMG!
Has been described as a sometimey player

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »
Seems like it does stack... looking at the character sheet it shows two damage additions

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

failed.bard

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »
It shows it on Dribo's character sheet as well, it just doesn't add it.  As for the machinists, is should have bludgoning damage instead of piercing if it gets changed.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »
Yeah some things will show on a sheet yet it doesn't enact in game.  Dirty fighting is a good example of this, it eats up extra attacks and gives you an extra d4.  That's well and good.  You use two weapons, and it adds a d4 to each weapon on your Sheet.  Looks good, but in reality, it's only adding a d4, to ONE of those attacks a round, and it alternates them.

The engine is weird sometimes.

My thing is, Bolts should be piercing.  Big pointy thing just like an arrow.  Not like you are shooting a sword or an axe at someone.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
Dirty fighting is one of the most useless feats.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:25:03 PM »
Dirty fighting is one of the most useless feats.

There is no such thing as a useless feat.  Especially for Dirty fighting, if it's used correctly.

~Rex

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
Seems like it does stack... looking at the character sheet it shows two damage additions

I think the +1 Enhancement cancels out additional damage of the same base type. Like how Magic Weapon nullifies the additional damage steel weapons do.

On the plus side, the newer nerfed Machinist Crossbows may stack properly since they don't have the +1...
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

failed.bard

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
Shadowborn said he had done over 20 with his nerfed one using steel bolts, so that may be the case that all the + piercing damage bonuses are cancelling each other out.  When EO had me testing Dribo's, on 200+ shots the damage was between 3 and 20 every time, which, unfortunately, didn't prove anything conclusively.  Helaman said the +1 and +2 dwarven bolts stack with the un-nerfed machinists, so I'll just go that way next time.

As for rapid reload, Dribo can get 3 shots a round with her machinists, so it's working at least for the base 2 + haste.  Not sure if it stacks with rapid shot until the patch is out, since I was told it doesn't right now but didn't want to blow the 2 feats to test it.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 11:56:25 PM »
You can't rapid shot with a crossbow.  Also, Axel has Heavy Crossbow Specialization and was using a Machinist's crossbow with steel bolts, his minimum damage should have been 5, but he got several 4's, so they do not stack, even though it shows that they should on the character sheet.  Minimum damage proves.

Big picture proving!
Spoiler: show

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:02:15 AM by Bad_Bud »

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 04:58:02 AM »

I think the +1 Enhancement cancels out additional damage of the same base type. Like how Magic Weapon nullifies the additional damage steel weapons do.

On the plus side, the newer nerfed Machinist Crossbows may stack properly since they don't have the +1...

New Nerfed Machinost crossbow, is a Piece of Utter Crap (at the risk of sounding crass and insulting BUT, it was one of my best friends 40th birthday today and I am feeling a bit honest and after having to pour 8 people back into their houses after a measly three kegs and 8 bottle of akevitt, I feel like being drunk honest for once.).  It's nerfing was a dire insult, to those that have THAT, as an only option to compete, with those that DON'T NEED IT..   Also, in regard to steel, I've Magic weaponed it more then a few times and never had it nullifie anything.

Still, I'll double check after I wake up since the lack of sleep(insomina, clinical ala fight club) combined with a few bottles of akevitt, a keg or two of domestic, and two cases of Tuborg (which though insanely low alcohol for such a good tasting beer, is still a potent beer), makes for mellow judgement in a particular situation.

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »
I've had it overwrite the damage once.  It's not normally an issue, and I use MW on my solver steel sword all the time

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 02:42:53 PM »
Crap, I wanted to compare the Two versions of the Machinest Crossbow, as far as perhaps over writing damage, but after going through all my PC's it looks like I trashed the new one.

Anyone got both to compare?  Be kind of interesting to know how the bolts fair between the two versions.

~Rex

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Weighs 20.0, 1d10 (Base Heavy Crossbow) + 1d8 (Piercing) damage, 50% arcane spell failure, -2 Dodge AC, -1 Strength.

I think.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 03:06:29 AM »
Yeah the stats I know it was the Bolt stacking between the two I wanted to compare.  :)  But thanks :D

~Rex