Author Topic: Craft xp in remakes  (Read 2443 times)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
Craft xp in remakes
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:31:43 AM »
Something I was wondering.

I had a remake and didn't get the crafting xp at it. At the time I didn't really care as the remake was into a monstrous template.

The question is, if you remake, is it possible to retain crafting xp or do they just ... go? I had quite a few levels of leatherworking back
then and I figured a few uses for it in my new ... life?

What levels I had is very easy to see as the un-templated character is still around the vault
Has been described as a sometimey player

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Craft xp in remakes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:07:02 AM »
I had to remake, too, and Shadowspawn and I sat around an herbalism cauldron for quite some time -- and he still owes me time with that cauldron!

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:40:31 AM »
You need a sympathetic DM

The process is this. They give you the materials and then buff your stats to the roof. Then you plough through your crafting (with them giving you stuff to craft) until you hit the right level... however as you never documented your craft XP its a 50-50 if the GM will work with you on this.

Its also time consuming depending on the craft and your level you are trying to regain. Woodworking can be a real chore. Smithing not so much as you take steel and full plate templates and hammer them out until you reach the level you need... even then yoshinaka would need to churn out about 100 suits if he was to do that.. then he'd need to do it all again with gilding (he can't fail with his current stats and skill level.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:47:21 AM »
They don't delete characters that I've ever seen, so he could always log back on the old one and screenshot his skill EXP.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:43:58 AM »
oh my god... good thing they haven't done anything with leatherworking then *cringes*

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »
Buying is starting to look good again. 

However, if you enjoy the "one-armed bandits (aka: slot machines), the cauldron is your game.   ;)
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »
Gotta go with the lady on this one... sure a suit of Steel plate will set you back 5K, but its likely a one off purchase... potions on the other hand?

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »
Gotta go with the lady on this one... sure a suit of Steel plate will set you back 5K, but its likely a one off purchase... potions on the other hand?
Except that there's maybe... 10? active and semiactive smiths of any decent level.
There's like 100 herbalists out there.
I can't get anyone to buy my potions. Except SOMETIMES, someone is interested in the cure serious wounds. But I can't make those at the moment cause one ingredient, as far as I know, is out of season. And no one is selling herbs, either, they're all giving them to their friends. And since everyone and their grandmother's dog's fleas are doing herbalism... Everyone has a friend or seven doing it.
Seriously, I have like 30 pounds of potions on Kalan, and that's even with his bag taking 40% off most of them.
No one wants them.
I have hard times -giving away- free samples of Cat's Grace (since I have like 40 of those).

So. Maybe if 95% of the herbalists decide they're done with the "new thing" but if most of the herbalists stick with it, it's an over-flooded market. Not to mantion the dorks who do it just for the free potions when there's really nothing in their background or concept to indicate they should take up herbalists. Except maybe "penny-pincher."

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »
From a consumer standpoint, I like to see the market crowded with herbalists. Why? Because I don't want to have to search the server over to find some potions now that the stores don't stock them.

True, the healing potions are likely to be your best sellers but there are other potions that are commonly looked for:

Bull Str, Barkskin, Invisibility, Haste, etc....

Not only does having a lot of herbalists mean I can find one handily, it also means that its easier to get a fair price for those potions as well.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »
I just realized the remake we tried today for the buggy thing probably wiped my bow-making stats out completely. :(

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »
I just realized the remake we tried today for the buggy thing probably wiped my bow-making stats out completely. :(

:shock: Releveling should be fine. Remaking the character entirely will remove the CXP levels.

(Also why I'll never have Torgan remade if at all possible...)
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »
Phew. Good.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »
 :cry: Whish someone would add this info to the remake application post , I asked in my application would anything be lost , any xp, gold ect ..would of been nice to have a warning .

Kaspar

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 02:19:36 AM »
.. Far as I know DMs have a tool they can use, to set the crafting level and how much XP. Really handy.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 02:54:14 AM »
*runs to find a dm*

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »