You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Respect  (Read 4563 times)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
Respect
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:17:49 PM »
CHEESING

Lately I've seen a few examples of blatant cheesing, subtle cheesing and basic out and out whatthehellism. From people throwing on wolf head helmets and claiming they're werewolves to character background cheesing. There IS a no cheesing rule and its there for a reason.

- No "Cheesing": "Cheesing" an ability is the act of playing your character as if they have an ability which the NWN engine would not otherwise allow them to have.

Example 1: You should not be a giant-kin by picking half-orc and writing "Veerbeeg" in the subrace field.

Example 2: You should not say your character is a vampire with exceptional strength and the ability to make other characters into a vampire by biting them. ONLY abilities that are granted by your class, race, and level within NWN are in-game. Extra powers that you make up or pretend to have are unacceptable in Ravenloft: PotM.

Example 3:
Player1: *pretends to whack Player2 over the head*
Player2: What was that for?
Player1: You're unconscious now. I whacked you over the head.
Player2: No I'm not. You didn't do any damage to me at all.
Player1: But I have a 42 strength. I'm a giant.
Player2: No you aren't. You look like a halfling, and your character sheet says you have a 7 strength.
Player1: I know. I know. That's what my character sheet says. But I'm REALLY a giant and I have a 42 strength, so you better roleplay being knocked out, buster.
Player2: That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!

This rule has always counted towards things that give your character some sort of advantage or distinction that the game world or game engine doesn't support. As players we could just ignore cheesing, you claim your an omnipotent god and my character can just disprove that point by shooting you. In a nutshell, claiming you can do something or are something doesn't mean a thing when it comes down to it, however on a roleplay server like this one the confusion and OOC consternation cheesing causes is not worth it.

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
Re: Respect
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
OOC vs IC info and Metagaming

Lately I've been getting alot of questions via OOC tells asking why my character is now lower level then what he was. For one, that's really no ones business to be asking OOC. I don't often even share IC info OOC'ly with my ingame friends and the ones I regularly RP with. IC info gained via an OOC method, weather you use it or not, taints your roleplay. You now have to make a conscious effort to not use that information that you gained OOC instead of just playing it as it comes, it's not fair to the player that you gained the information about and it cheapens your roleplay.

Metagaming is acting upon information that your character would not have gained under regular roleplay or acting upon OOC info gathered through the game engine. Running to the outskirts because someone sent you a tell about an event happening is Metagaming, greeting someone by name when they're covered from head to toe just because you can see the name tag above their character is also metagaming. There are varying degrees and sometimes it can be just overlooked (punishing someone for an OOC slip is just ridiculous, so is flipping out at someone because they made a simple OOC mistake)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »
While I fully understand the frustration you must be feeling, I think it also should be understood that many can compartmentalize information gathered OOC and not let it bleed into IC.  Knowing doesn't necessarily become metagaming. 

I've noticed when certain chars lost levels rand I've certainly meant no disrespect when I asked them why.  The fact is the information is out there and can be accessed by anyone upon logging in. 

Regardless, your privacy should certainly be respected and people should make a mental note what your limits are.   

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
Just a quick FYI about this post.. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, nor am I really upset about anything. There are times when I've gained IC information via OOC means about characters (ie The biography section in the forums), times when I've slipped and made use of OOC info ICly (reacting to a disguised character because I saw the name tag). Everyone does it, everyone makes mistakes here and there, people forget too and also get caught up in how they act and react without forethought. Occasionally we all just need a quick reminder to bring things back to the forefront of our minds so that our roleplay doesn't degenerate.

I am writing this post at work so it's coming sporadically, so please bear with me.

Madnobody

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
Ive noticed people generally just assume you've got a monster template. I know I got deluged with questions. People look and they wonder. It can suck,but you just accept a certain amount of cheesiness if you decide to play a template.Not that you have,could be you just got really unlucky and had to respawn a few times,who knows.

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
I did suggest that they remove the ability to view character levels before you log in, but I think there is a technical reason for it. it certainly would make a lot of new monsters lives easier though if it were possible.

PinkTarantula

• Undead Master
  • Epic Skill Focus : Haiku
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
People ask you why you lost a level?  Don't want to reveal to them you're now a snazzy werebadger?  Do what Neithu did.  I consequently let people know I'd respawned and lost my levels.  Lies work wonders. ;)
Blacken and sin, accept and be swept

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »
The nametag above your head as you terrorize the outskirts does, too.  :P

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »
It would be nice to be able to temporarily remove/alter that name tag when you are terrorizing or in disguise.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
People ask you why you lost a level?  Don't want to reveal to them you're now a snazzy werebadger?  Do what Neithu did.  I consequently let people know I'd respawned and lost my levels.  Lies work wonders. ;)

Or just don't answer back. Always got like five-instatells asking me why I was hostile with Claire and if I was a monster.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 05:59:56 PM »
I never saw Claire as a non-monster, so I'm not sure why that would have caused any concern.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »
Claire used to be nice and sweet. :cry:

In order to keep my post on topic, another thing of similar nature is the EPIC background. Where you claimed you were a king, a general in some army, or the most feared pirate of the Seven Seas.... yeah, I don't think so. You come in as a level 2 and should have a background fitting of such a lowly station.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:25:28 PM by ethinos »
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

failed.bard

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
Claire used to be nice and sweet. :cry:

Claire was still nice and sweet, even at the end, you just had to look for it while she was eating you.

As for monsters and meta-gaming, if the PC name wasn't floating above the monsters head, they would get killed every time they went out.  It's meta-gaming that they're PCs that keep the higher level PCs from just going out and killing them off like they would if it was a DM controlled monster.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
honestly it was one of those things that i partly wish folks did i mean you got those high lvl pcs that SAY and SHOW there good and go all bad arse on the dungeons but first sign of a monster pc 9 out of 10 times you got lvl 15's+ hiding inside with the rest of the folks all well and good but....*looks at some random paladin that could kill said monster but shireks resonsbilities* yeah...great oaths there. While i understand its an ooc respect to let the monster pcs have there fun there's an ic resonsibilitiy to hold to certain alignments i mean if said lvl 15 cleric/paladin brags about how they pwned the vamp crypts then hides inside when one SINGLE vamp pc is outside tearing up the place its like...WTF?

anyhow back on track here with the respect issue.

If folks send me tells asking things depening on what it is i'll answer usually but one thing i did notice recently is folks just sending random tells to figure out if some pc that seems to be a monster but never seeing them before with that login to reconize the person...seriously dont do that its annoying and rude and...screams of cheese.

also on the case of respect as folks know i'll gladly rp out almost anything with my pcs for the sake of furthing my own rp or someone elses/dm events and rarely whine about it or try to go all mucho if its me running something.

But if you come up to say calson and your lvl 2 or something and randomly attack him. For no reason other then "give me  your sword now!" then attack and i beat you down to death. Dont whine to me about how unfair it is i killed you. ESPECIALLY if i then raise you with my own gold and you do it again...twice...and then whine more about me then burning you. seriously have some respect and common sense

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
honestly it was one of those things that i partly wish folks did i mean you got those high lvl pcs that SAY and SHOW there good and go all bad arse on the dungeons but first sign of a monster pc 9 out of 10 times you got lvl 15's+ hiding inside with the rest of the folks all well and good but....*looks at some random paladin that could kill said monster but shireks resonsbilities* yeah...great oaths there. While i understand its an ooc respect to let the monster pcs have there fun there's an ic resonsibilitiy to hold to certain alignments i mean if said lvl 15 cleric/paladin brags about how they pwned the vamp crypts then hides inside when one SINGLE vamp pc is outside tearing up the place its like...WTF?

*coughs* Pot calling the kettle black from what I've heard, since someone broke their vows? *coughs*

*coughs* Playing a lvl 15 paladin means no one wants to fight you b/c they don't want to be perma'ed if they die. *coughs*

*coughs* Also means the only way you get attacked is in a group booting were you have no chance as it's five on one. *coughs*

Thanks DW!

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 09:39:07 PM »
fair enough! but that went through rp i wasnt pointing out generally in particular just saying my opinon :)

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:36 PM »
Once more into the breach

Frustration and playing a jerk - Something I myself am guilty of (at least for the frustration part) Roleplaying is acting, some people DO get a little more involved in their parts then others. Try and remember that the person behind the character isn't necessarily the jerk that they're playing, but also remember that if you happen to be playing said jerk that this is a game meant to be enjoyed by all. Situations get tense and sometimes real emotions start coming into play, don't be afraid to break IC tension with an OOC tell. Tension breakers don't have to be "hey, are you ok? Do you want a hug?" a completely conversational OOC tell can break the OOC tension while mainting the IC flow of events by reminding the person that the person behind the character isn't the character. Tense situations and frustration can easily transmit into very real OOC dislike and misconceptions. And I've seen it, although mostly with new players, where because of the server IC atmosphere they've translated it into either elitism or that we're a bunch of jerks. In most cases this is far from the truth, try and realize that from both sides of the coin.

OOC conversations and RP nazism - In the event of OOC conversations against IC, I have always believed the majority and who was there first rules. Meaning, if you walk into the Inn where there are five other players all RPing and in character and you start having a long drawn out conversation OOC with someone (that's not via tells) then don't. It's disruptive and unfair to those players playing. However on the flip side, and I find this just as frustrating, if you're walking alone through an area and stumble upon a group of players having an OOC conversation, don't go all RP Nazi on them. THe OOC lounge is not accessible from everywhere and there are points in time when an OOC discussion can be warranted (ie disputes about game mechanics, general information, tension breakers) If you intend to interact ICly with these people then ignore the OOC and act ICly, I have yet to see a single group not immediately drop the OOC chatter when faced with IC interaction unless a serious situation is being discussed. Though if an OOC discussion is felt to be necessary and must be done through an open channel switching to whisper mode for it gives the group time to respond ICly to a character approaching it without disrupting the approaching characters immersion

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »
Also try to keep OOC consideration for others in mind. Theres a reason not every high level runs out to anihillate those PC monsters. . . because they're trying to be considerate of the other PC.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 01:17:52 AM »
Also try to keep OOC consideration for others in mind. Theres a reason not every high level runs out to anihillate those PC monsters. . . because they're trying to be considerate of the other PC.

SInce the title of this thread is RESPECT, it should be emphasized that RESPECT is a two-way street. 

If the monster PC wants to be treated with respect as to their RP value, they have to be willing to give it.  If the monster PC makes it a point of being the biggest baddie on the block and going in for the kill because they can,  they can expect to have that kind of respect returned in kind. 

<<<<<<<<Stepping off the soap box>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 03:37:56 AM »
Has an opinion relegated to PM's.  Respect is a two way street.  Reap, what you sow.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.