Author Topic: Backgrounds  (Read 2923 times)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
Backgrounds
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:57:35 PM »
While i was making a new PC i was tempted to take blacksmith apprentice as a background but then i recalled that it gave bonus to craft armor and such. Now that those are not used anymore im wondering if those backgrounds are more of flavor or if they have been adjusted with the new system somehow.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

BreakFree

• Undead Slayer
Re: Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
I remember before the crazy rolls incident (you know, where you'd get either a -5 or a +91919294891049) there was a number that was always zero. Or atleast it was for me. Since the actual NWN engine crafting is crap, maybe a certain amount of points in that via skill chart could actually help crafting or something. Like Nef said. Seems like one of the only backgrounds with completely useless skill bonuses,
Marcus Rose: Red Vardo Traders

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:33:29 PM »
Bringing them back (the crafting skills) and tying them into the crafting skills would be a good thing I think.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »
Should have a "Craftsmanship: X" skill to all the trades, in which 5 ranks in the skill yields +1 to the craft.  That would be interesting.

Then again, that would take a lot to add in.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:13:02 PM »
I know Torgan took black smithing and the military one (something about keeping gear in ready condition?) so I know I wasted both backgrounds. :lol:

However, if I could get them tied back into the crafting skills (since he's a master smith and a dabbler or more in the rest of the crafts), it would make me feel better.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »
I was going to suggest a "General Craft" skill (with the same idea of 5 ranks = +1 to craft modifiers), but that would have probably been too powerful, since it would more or less give people automatic bonuses to all crafting, despite whether or not their abilities are cut out for it.

Having a skill for specific crafts though "Craftsmanship: Smith/Herbalism/Woodworking/etc." would be neat.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
I was going to suggest a "General Craft" skill (with the same idea of 5 ranks = +1 to craft modifiers), but that would have probably been too powerful, since it would more or less give people automatic bonuses to all crafting, despite whether or not their abilities are cut out for it.

Having a skill for specific crafts though "Craftsmanship: Smith/Herbalism/Woodworking/etc." would be neat.
nods nods yes!

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »
I forsee basic backgrounds being added that could be useful -
Ie, weapon smith, armor smith, leather, herbalist (healer) , Enchanter (if/when enchanting goes in)
These giving +4 to which ever are the required skills needed.
A general crafts man, jack of all trades, which would add +2 to all of the skills needed for crafting.

perhaps this would be more feasable, yes?