You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Undeath to Death  (Read 13542 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Undeath to Death
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »
I'm all for things being in line with a book, but there has been a rash of nerfs lately with no quid pro quo.  That's a topic for something else though and I don't want to get off track here.
As I am aware, this takes the spell closer to the official DnD rules:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/undeathToDeath.htm

The problem with the spell was that Bioware had made it excessively powerful, and in a setting as Ravenloft where basicly every other foe is undead, this wasn't very balanced. It also posed a major balance issue toward undead PCs in PvP.

Since that portion, seems to be the major issue, I'm not that big of a fan of this particular nerfing.  If it's a balance issue, where is the balance on the Other side of the topic?

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Fallen

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
This is just so wrong ...

About the nerfing or my opinion? 

Nerfing Undeath to Death brings this spell in line with every nerf that has happened here.  No great surprise here.  Sooner or later, everyone's favorite will be nerfed.  It's just the way it is and it can either be accepted or one moves on.   Strange as that may seem coming from me, but it is consistant. 

As far as my opinion regarding POTM being an RP server, it's my opinon and I'm sticking to it.   :mrgreen:

I like your attitude.  :thumbup:

Khuzadrepa

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 04:00:10 PM »
This isn't a nerf.  This is fixing what Bioware broke.

I support this fully, and have to give a pat on the back to the admin team for it.
aka Warreck Banevich
Dogma of the Morninglord: "Justice comes to all evildoers eventually, not by man's laws, but by your hand and the tortuous paths of fate."

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »

I support this fully, and have to give a pat on the back to the admin team for it.

And I'm cool with fixing something that's broke.  Bioware obviously shortbused a lot of things.  But if it's a balance issue, Is there going to be some balance addressed for the other side of the issue?

~Rex

Fieryhates

• New to the Mists
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 07:44:46 AM »

And I'm cool with fixing something that's broke.  Bioware obviously shortbused a lot of things.  But if it's a balance issue, Is there going to be some balance addressed for the other side of the issue?

~Rex

Don't think you have to say that twice to get your point across.  ;)

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 09:21:59 AM »
Sometimes its more than twice before its heard... :lol:

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
Just have to bare in mind that there's tons of things that have been shifted to reflect PnP rules, but the problem is that since everything in PnP followed the exact same rule-set, there was balance.

When you have half the abilities/skills/spells reflecting PnP while the other half still utilizes NWN's own rule-set, then you have a lot of potential misbalance.  Yes, the game was imbalanced for Multiplayer, but basing everything off PnP is going to create a whole new imbalance.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »
Just have to bare in mind that there's tons of things that have been shifted to reflect PnP rules, but the problem is that since everything in PnP followed the exact same rule-set, there was balance.

When you have half the abilities/skills/spells reflecting PnP while the other half still utilizes NWN's own rule-set, then you have a lot of potential misbalance.  Yes, the game was imbalanced for Multiplayer, but basing everything off PnP is going to create a whole new imbalance.

Maybe this is OT, but this is my biggest beef with spell nerfs:  You take a feat such as "Maximize Spell" when the duration is "1 hour per level".  Please, no arguing as to whether or not that is "too powerful" because it was what it was when the feat was taken. 

So what happens?  The spell gets nerfed to "1 turn + 1 turn per level" and your game changes.  At that point, "Extend Spell" would've been the smarter feat choice, but unfortunately, many can't see into the future.  Bottom line:  You're screwed and you can't change it.  Please no arguing that "1 turn + 1 turn per level" is a long time.  That's not what the spell was when the feat was taken. 

I really think, when a spell is nerfed, the option should be given to relevel.  It's not out of the realm of possibilities.  There are servers where you can relevel automatically just by talking to an NPC and clicking on "relevel.

Sometimes, you just want to adjust your game to reflect what's happening around you.  And that option doesn't exist after spell nerfs here.  It's frustrating. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:52:37 AM by ThAnswr »
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »

Maybe this is OT, but this is my biggest beef with spell nerfs:  You take a feat such as "Maximize Spell" when the duration is "1 hour per level".  Please, no arguing as to whether or not that is "too powerful" because it was what it was when the feat was taken. 

So what happens?  The spell gets nerfed to "1 turn + 1 turn per level" and your game changes.  At that point, "Extend Spell" would've been the smarter feat choice, but unfortunately, many can't see into the future.  Bottom line:  You're screwed and you can't change it.  Please no arguing that "1 turn + 1 turn per level" is a long time.  That's not what the spell was when the feat was taken. 

I really think, when a spell is nerfed, the option should be given to relevel.  It's not out of the realm of possibilities.  There are servers where you can relevel automatically just by talking to an NPC and clicking on "relevel.

Sometimes, you just want to adjust your game to reflect what's happening around you.  And that option doesn't exist after spell nerfs here.  It's frustrating. 

True that, and not very hard to do from the looks of it, at least so I am told by computer savy people.

~Rex

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »
If you have a valid reason for a relevel, I'm pretty sure the DM's will accomodate you. It's never been forbidden.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Khuzadrepa

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
I really think, when a spell is nerfed, the option should be given to relevel.
I think this is fair.
aka Warreck Banevich
Dogma of the Morninglord: "Justice comes to all evildoers eventually, not by man's laws, but by your hand and the tortuous paths of fate."

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 01:19:24 AM »

It's debatable honestly. Demiplanes, unlike other full-fledged planes can indeed change their metaphysical and even (though horribly rare) physical laws so that magic, physics and other "realities" in them flux and change do to whim of the originator of the plane or planar occurances.

What you're asking for, while understandably reasonable to want to change, is also the equivalent of a warrior-type character asking for releveling to change his feats because a new batch of monsters was added in a recent module addition that they'd like to fight, or they found a newly created item or weapon they want to use. After all, no one bats an eye when someone marries themselves to an awful weapon (like say a light hammer) and finds out light hammers are woefully awful or lacking on this module.

Given there are a good many "extra" feats added to the level-up scheme and just because one spell was changed doesn't mean the entire metafeat is useless at all (no metafeat works on only *one* spell after all), I'd probably suggest only considering it if said character was at it's maximum level honestly. The world changes and goes on, so long as a character has the potential to adapt (level up, gain new feats), I don't see any reason why they should suddenly wake up one morning forgetting how to get the most out of a spell and instead extending it as if knowing such an ability never happened.
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 01:07:38 PM »
Yeah that's actually been delt with before in many settings (When DnD editions changed, many casters were WTF?  Darn this used to work), and it gets handled.  They don't just POOF, never knew it not effected by it.

Now Stat and feat changes maybe I can see a rebuild, Like you dumped 15 points into craft armor and the server took it away because they implemented a CNR type system, that's a rebuild case.

Spell not so much.

I don't mind it that much that this is getting shunted off into by the book levels, by the book is always fine by me, but there needs to be some quid pro quo if that's going to be the main reason.

~Rex

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »

It's debatable honestly. Demiplanes, unlike other full-fledged planes can indeed change their metaphysical and even (though horribly rare) physical laws so that magic, physics and other "realities" in them flux and change do to whim of the originator of the plane or planar occurances.

What you're asking for, while understandably reasonable to want to change, is also the equivalent of a warrior-type character asking for releveling to change his feats because a new batch of monsters was added in a recent module addition that they'd like to fight, or they found a newly created item or weapon they want to use. After all, no one bats an eye when someone marries themselves to an awful weapon (like say a light hammer) and finds out light hammers are woefully awful or lacking on this module.

Given there are a good many "extra" feats added to the level-up scheme and just because one spell was changed doesn't mean the entire metafeat is useless at all (no metafeat works on only *one* spell after all), I'd probably suggest only considering it if said character was at it's maximum level honestly. The world changes and goes on, so long as a character has the potential to adapt (level up, gain new feats), I don't see any reason why they should suddenly wake up one morning forgetting how to get the most out of a spell and instead extending it as if knowing such an ability never happened.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

It isn't, but I'm used to being marginalized.   :lol: 
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Kung Fu Orc

• Supreme Overlord
  • Dark Power
  • Alchoholics Incorperated
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
Please, no one play the Martyr here. It's irritating.

And for the record, MAXIMIZE increases ALL aspects of a spell, including length.

Rebuilding wizards around spells is a goddamned nightmare, because DM's have no way of knowing what your actual spellbook is, and we have to supply a boatload of scrolls based only on your "say" of what you had. Relevels just to change spells have been declined in the past, but -every- Relevel request is based on a case by case basis and you lose nothing by requesting it.

Daciana Varzaru- "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate with sorcery."

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 05:13:51 PM »

Gee, I'm sorry.  :lol:

And for the record, MAXIMIZE increases ALL aspects of a spell, including length.

Really? Are you sure you're not confusing "Maximize Spell" with "Extend Spell"?

This is "Maximize Spell":

Type of Feat: Metamagic

Prerequisite: Cast 3rd-level spells

Specifics: Maximized spells apply all variable numeric effects, including damage, number of targets, and so on, at their maximum values.

Use: A maximized spell occupies a spell slot three levels higher than normal. Saving throws and opposed rolls, such as those made when dispel magic is cast, are not affected.

This is "Extend Spell":

Type of feat: Metamagic

Prerequisite: Cast 1st-level spells

Specifics: Extended spells have their duration doubled, lasting twice as long as normal.

Use: An extended spell occupies a spell slot one level higher than normal. Spells with a duration of instantaneous or permanent are not affected.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Feats

I believe you are confusing the two.  If a spell lasts, for example 1-hr per level, that's what it lasts unless you take the "Extend" feat. 

If that information is wrong, someone please point it out to me. 

Rebuilding wizards around spells is a goddamned nightmare, because DM's have no way of knowing what your actual spellbook is, and we have to supply a boatload of scrolls based only on your "say" of what you had. Relevels just to change spells have been declined in the past, but -every- Relevel request is based on a case by case basis and you lose nothing by requesting it.

Again, gee I'm sorry.   :lol:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:29:33 PM by ThAnswr »
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
NWN won't let you maximize spells with a duration (and no dice values).  Mage armor, for instance, you can't maximize, but you can extend.

mayvind

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »

As for rebuild a wizzy class, why the  we need to rebuild it if they nerf the spell? we can practically learn every wizzy spell out there just pick other spell into the spell slot and that that.

As for Sorc class, just pick a different one upon leveling or releveling 1 level.

Max spell do not increase duration only the max damage in regard of caster level. a fire ball 1d6  per level till 10 level caster meaning the max fire ball do 60 spell damage and 30 damage if target saves agaist the spell.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:11 PM »

As for rebuild a wizzy class, why the  we need to rebuild it if they nerf the spell? we can practically learn every wizzy spell out there just pick other spell into the spell slot and that that.

As for Sorc class, just pick a different one upon leveling or releveling 1 level.

Max spell do not increase duration only the max damage in regard of caster level. a fire ball 1d6  per level till 10 level caster meaning the max fire ball do 60 spell damage and 30 damage if target saves agaist the spell.

This thread is going waaay OT. But to clarify why I think there should be the option of releveling if a spell is nerf'ed is NOT for the spell, but for the feat, specifically buff spells. 

I'm not a technical kind of person, but I play on another server where you can choose to relevel without a DM's help.  Don't like your weapon focus ........ change it.  Wish you had taken Great Fortitude instead of Great whatever ................ change it.  Just talk to the nice NPC lady and tell her you want to relevel ........... voila!  No one questions it and no one cares because one of the big rules on that server is:  Don't tell someone else how they "should" play their game.   

I am now leaving the soapbox.   :mrgreen:

Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »
Again, who said the option of releveling wasn't an option, ThAnswr?

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 07:32:42 PM »
Again, who said the option of releveling wasn't an option, ThAnswr?

Of course, anyone can apply for a relevel which may or may NOT be approved.  Who said they couldn't?

My point is rules get changed, spells get nerf'ed, but never is the option of releveling given.  Not asked for, given.   That is the point. 

I think an automatic releveling option after a rule change or spell nerf is an issue that should be brought before the Community Council because it is not just a personal issue, but affects the community at large. 
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »
At the same time, modifications to monstrous templates, the rest/death systems, updated patches from Bioware, updated haks from the Devs, and who knows how many other things could cause a current PC to be less effective than it was before.

If a player really considers that a nerf, change, or modificiation has been serious enough that it warrants a rebuild/relevel, I'm sure the folks that handle those applications will be considerate and reasonable.

Sometimes players need to take some personal initiative.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
At the same time, modifications to monstrous templates, the rest/death systems, updated patches from Bioware, updated haks from the Devs, and who knows how many other things could cause a current PC to be less effective than it was before.

If a player really considers that a nerf, change, or modificiation has been serious enough that it warrants a rebuild/relevel, I'm sure the folks that handle those applications will be considerate and reasonable.

Sometimes players need to take some personal initiative.

This is not a personal issue nor is it one of personal initiative.  It is a community issue as rule changes and spell nerfs affects the community.  Granted, some more than others.  And since I believe it is a community issue, I will bring it before the Community Council. 

Having said that, I believe this horse is not only dead, but has been beaten into unrecognizable pulp. 
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 08:18:32 PM »
Send me the PM and I'll post it on the Council boards for review.