Author Topic: Multiclassing - I am level 11, can I still multiclass?  (Read 7316 times)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Multiclassing - I am level 11, can I still multiclass?
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »
Who is right? A developer probably. Which is who I'm waiting to chime in on. This entire thread has been a discussion and no reason for it to not to continue to be.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

kanedellesk

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »
Much as I hate to admit this, ethinos I think is correct. God, I feel so dirty saying that. I need a bath.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »
Because discussions don't give definite answers lol. This is a rule's question.

Yeah, some developer, tell us what is going on!
Has been described as a sometimey player

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 07:25:48 PM »

You tendered a question to an open forum. You should expect discussion, heh. If you wanted an answer and not get discussion involved, a PM to one of the Developers would've been your better option. Still, this discussion was interesting see how many ways the rule could be interpreted and what the general consensus was. Not only that, but it also spawned a second question that was answered a little earlier.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »

You tendered a question to an open forum. You should expect discussion, heh. If you wanted an answer and not get discussion involved, a PM to one of the Developers would've been your better option. Still, this discussion was interesting see how many ways the rule could be interpreted and what the general consensus was. Not only that, but it also spawned a second question that was answered a little earlier.

We also found out you many be an anal retentive Homeowners Association manager.  Worth the price of admission.   :P
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 04:12:51 AM »
I don't think it should be at all times.  I think it should be based around what your character is going to end as, be it level 20 or level 12.  I don't see why it should make a difference when you take the levels.

I assume the rule is there to prevent powerbuilds, and generally speaking when someone waits until they're level 11-15 to start multiclassing, chances are their builds aren't powerbuilds or they would have taken the class earlier on to pocket some feats.

P.S. And don't start listing builds that are good when you multiclass after level 15... I said "chances are" :P

yakon

• Waffle Boy
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
I don't think it should be at all times.  I think it should be based around what your character is going to end as, be it level 20 or level 12.  I don't see why it should make a difference when you take the levels.

I assume the rule is there to prevent powerbuilds, and generally speaking when someone waits until they're level 11-15 to start multiclassing, chances are their builds aren't powerbuilds or they would have taken the class earlier on to pocket some feats.

P.S. And don't start listing builds that are good when you multiclass after level 15... I said "chances are" :P

I agree

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »
You can't be 10 levels apart, the script will prevent you from levelling then. I think this starts once you have 11 levels in a class and more. You could be a 9 fighter / 10 rogue / 1 barbarian though since that's not breaking the rules, but not a 19 fighter / 1 barbarian.

This is valid at any level really, be it level 12 or 20. Also, the same applies for PrC's, though that's at level "20" (you must have 5 levels in a PrC by the time you hit your maximum level with ECL).

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
The rule, as far as I understand it, is designed to stop 14/1 type builds. Ending with ten levels apart really waters it down. It's a good rule anyhow.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »
But if someone perchance did make a 14/1 build (I believe what shadymerchant and other have been saying implies that this type of build is a powerbuild), they probably took the /1 as their first or second level, not as their fifteenth.  I think the Community Council should review this rule with that in mind.  I feel the rule being "at all times" instead of set for endgame only punishes the non-powergamers who decide far down the road that they want to change the path their character is taking.

I think this rule might be causing the gap between powerbuilders and casual roleplayers to widen, because powerbuilders (I have nothing against them) will always find a way to make their character powerful within the limits of the rules, so I don't see why restricting the latter levels of a single class character is going to help to balance the game.  A casual player that takes a level of rogue at level thirteen because it makes them happy or feel badass isn't going to wreck the game's balance.  They're stuck having to take at least (according to KungFuOrc, at least two of that level in a row) four more levels of that class anyway.  Please review.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »
However, I think part of the reason the rule is in place is because even one level of certain classes gives you handy benefits.

Shadowdancer=HiPS
Monk=Lots. All I gotta say.
Barbarian=Rage, faster movement
Wizard/Sorcerer=Familiar, ability to use mage gear, scrolls, etc, without needing UMD.

The rule seems to have been put in place to prevent powerbuilding, but it does affect the casual gamer as well. Sometimes, rules cannot be made to satisfy everyone, all the time.

failed.bard

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
There is a reason that paladins aren't allowed to multi-class to anything but a PrC here as well.  2 paladin levels gives immunity to all magical fear and all diseases.

As for the /1 being taken at 1st level, you can't multiclass at 2nd level, so it was taken later.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 02:11:08 AM »
Glad we have cleared it out. So I can't multiclass unless it's a prestige class.

My question is this:

Why is it considered better to go from 2/1 to 2/5 rather than 14/1 to 14/5?
Has been described as a sometimey player