You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Herbalism Suggestions  (Read 27024 times)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
Re: Herbalism Suggestions
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2008, 10:46:56 AM »
I have to add my $0.02 worth to Iconoclastic's thoughts:

I was not a great fan of the new herbalism skill.  I was more fascinated with the "one-arm bandit" aspect of the the cauldron than anything else. 

However, last night I went looking for herbs and saw new ones that cropped up with the new spring season.  It was magic.  It was immersive.  It was really, really nice.

I also see the cauldron turning into the Ravenloft version of the "office water cooler". 

As it looks now, herbalism is a winner.   :thumbup:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2008, 01:33:52 AM »
Can the prices of bottles be lowered a tad? Maybe to 10-15gp? It doesn't make sense for a glass bottle to be worth twice its weight in gold.

Speaking as a lowbie, 21gp is just waaaaaay too much. Well, unless you were looking to stop lowbies from crafting with herbalism and catering to the established mid-high levels, then it's fine.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2008, 01:42:55 AM »
Potions have a great return in money compared to the ungodly amount of copper dagger you have to get through to make something sale-worthy, even if the only potion you can make is expeditious retreat, you can sell one for fifty gold and make a profit.  Rarely the nay sayer here but i think the price for bottle is fine, since i proposed the price to go up in the first place.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2008, 01:51:06 AM »
Potions have a great return in money compared to the ungodly amount of copper dagger you have to get through to make something sale-worthy, even if the only potion you can make is expeditious retreat, you can sell one for fifty gold and make a profit.  Rarely the nay sayer here but i think the price for bottle is fine, since i proposed the price to go up in the first place.

That is true I suppose, but that assumes you manage to sell to someone or aren't making it for your own use.

"One glass bottle? That will be twenty one dollars, sir."
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2008, 01:58:53 AM »
We're trying to recreate an economy, like Iconoclast pointed out, new roleplay is created. I understand Adriana has no desire to make any profits but she needs money to make her own potions. You need a third option here and very often it's to go farm some rats or pluck at some dungeons, or make some friends willing to invest in helping you out.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2008, 07:50:25 AM »
but you are aware of the fact that a potion bottle is now more expensive than a potion of cure light wounds?
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

failed.bard

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2008, 08:11:36 AM »
but you are aware of the fact that a potion bottle is now more expensive than a potion of cure light wounds?

You can still buy cure light wounds potions, so there is no need to make them.  This will lead to more of the stronger potions being available.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:02 AM »
Consider the high bottle cost to also factor in (in abstract) all the crap like eye of newt and stuff thats not in the reciepe directly... its all the powers and silver stirring rods etc.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »

Any character no matter what lvl he is or no matter how much money he has can go out and get some blackwort and make a potion worth 500g that is in very high demand. I don't personally see a problem right now with the price of the bottles. Every craft is an investment and potion making is the only one that gives you money back right away, it just need a little effort in getting it

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2008, 09:34:09 AM »
Hm. i doubt that the increase of bottles was that good a thing. The effect on low levels seems quite significant to me.
It may well be that much money can be made with potions - but if a 500 gp potion can be made by anybody, then the DC needs an uplift - and not the bottle price.

I would have prefered the addition of secondary, costly ingredients that can only be purchased for the more valuable potions.

But if there are still low level herbalists that have no problem with the price increase - well, no problem then.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2008, 09:45:20 AM »
If any crafter, low or high level has a problem leveling his craft, there are people out there ready to help, they don't HAVE to do it all alone. They have friends, there are investors, the new system forces us to roleplay and it's not a bad thing mind you.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »
I'm not sure one way or the other regarding what the best price for an empty bottle should be, yet. 

What I can say is that Nell learning herbalism reminds me of the process of learning most trades or professions.  When she returned from Mordent and began to study herbalism, her bank account quickly drained to cover the start up costs.  It takes an investment of time and coin before the skills are mastered to a point where those skills will start earning back.  The need for coin though to fund herbalism in the start was part of the fun for me.