Author Topic: Herbalism Suggestions  (Read 27025 times)

DarkWyvern

Re: Herbalism Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 01:43:54 AM »
Tanning Acid for leather workers is one gold per bottle, so I don't see why an empty bottle would cost more. A gold per bottle empty bottle seems fair, since even with the old craft system empty vials for potion making were 1 a peice.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 02:08:52 AM »
Here's a suggestion I have:  For more powerful potions (Like haste, negative energy, etc.), could we have separate bottles to be sold for like 25-50gp?  Just to make them challenging enough that people probably wouldn't want to risk making them unless they were -very- proficient in the skill.

The reason I say this is becuase my character currently has like a 75% chance of failure on some of those uber ones, but he more or less doesn't worry about failure becuase, well, he loses out on a whopping 5 gold each attempt.

We should keep the standard 5gp bottles for most recipes, though.  Making it too pricey would scare away everyone who isn't over level 10.  I just suggest making the higher-level potions higher in price.  I mean, think about the end result:  If I can 100% brew those neg energy potions, that's about 20 potions I can make for 100 gold that normally cost 750 gold EACH as scrolls from NPC shops...  100 gp from 20 vs. 750 PER bottle... Yeah, you get the idea. 

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 03:42:26 AM »
Well, I can see the reasoning in more pricy bottles for powerful potions, but it would be a bit of a hassle to implement that at current - and - probably make the recipes even more obscure.

However, the more powerful potions require more ingredients and several types, so it will certainly be more expensive in a way. Especially when the current exploit is resolves and people won't be able to haul too large amounts at once anyway ;)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
Since the herbs don't stack, they tend to suck up a lot of inventory anyway.  I still think it would be nice if they recieved the same mark up in resale from a store, as the other Crafting Components.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Fortunately there is an artificial cap... availability of resources.

It took 9-10 hours over 3 days of dungeon whoring only yielded about 7-8 of grave mold and ghost caps

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 05:09:12 AM »
I don't know if this is the right place to say this, but I'm VERY HAPPY that herbalism has been implemented. It would stop us whoring out to the vardo's for healing every day.

Plus, we could now slowly remove healing potions from shops and make it only -pc wise you can get them. Just like crafted weapons :D

AND SOME CRAFTED FIND ME IN GAME PLEASE, I WANT POTIONS!!!!
Has been described as a sometimey player

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 05:34:32 AM »
Since the herbs don't stack, they tend to suck up a lot of inventory anyway.  I still think it would be nice if they recieved the same mark up in resale from a store, as the other Crafting Components.

Yeah, I got it on my list to have them have some sort of price. Would prefer if people didn't get too much out of selling the items though.

I don't know if this is the right place to say this, but I'm VERY HAPPY that herbalism has been implemented. It would stop us whoring out to the vardo's for healing every day.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it :)

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 07:01:30 AM »

Plus, we could now slowly remove healing potions from shops and make it only -pc wise you can get them. Just like crafted weapons :D

Except that as the crafters die or retire then potions become unavailable... there was a time a while back you REALLY struggled to find a steel smith... you can live without steel armour and sword... potions on the other hand form the barrier between life and death at times.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 07:14:47 AM »
AND SOME CRAFTED FIND ME IN GAME PLEASE, I WANT POTIONS!!!!

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=11352.0
Seriously, I have several pounds of potions I would very much like to get rid of.
And if more people would sell me their herbs and fungus instead of hoarding them for who knows what reason, I coudl spend more time selling things instead of gathering.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 08:23:07 AM »
agreed same for me your greedy evil folks  :lol:

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »
I wasnt hoarding - I was gathering for someone

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »
One thing I really do like about herbalism is the fact that since one can potentially make some really amazing potions (buff potions, haste, neg energy protection, ex. retreat, etc.), it means that a non-caster has the potential to hold fair chances in battle when they don't have a buffer with them.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
I'm wondering if the current herbalism system would also allow the creation of "poisons", such as inflict minor/light/medium/serious wounds potions?

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
I wasnt hoarding - I was gathering for someone

They're not MY herbs.. I'm just holding them for a friend

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 01:15:19 PM »
I wonder if it could be possible in the future to create potions with dispell magic to be used like grenades against witches.  That would create some interesting challenge for witches that like to run around fully buffed destroying people.

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
Except those potions would all be a CL 5 vs a minimum caster level 11 mage.. nearly worthless. They might get mage armor or a stat buff, if you're lucky.. though. Not too useful though.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »
Lesser Spell Breach
Greater Spell Breach
Mord. Disjunction (Probably too powerful for a potion though)

Enough said.  :twisted:

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 12:50:46 AM »
dont make herbalism too powerfull craft, if there starts to appear minimages tossing down potions of stoneskin, dispells, flame weapons etc.. things are quite effectively going towards hell

since everyone does it, and it doesnt take anything else but time to practice
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 02:05:30 AM »
People are doing herbalism for the nearly free potions, not cause herbalism has anything to do with the character. (Okay, yes, I know there are herbalist characters besides Kalan, but still... Seems like a whole herd of herbalists has sprung up.)

And things like flame weapon... maybe, I guess. Stoneskin? Definately not. Maybe Barkskin. In the top tiers.

Also... Is this herbalism things supposed to be "natural"? Cause... some of it doesn't really seem to be much different from "witchery." Seriously... Someone walking around all sparkly after drinking a potion of endure elements then trying to say "Oh, it's natural. It's herbalism!" isn't going to appease a anti-witch mob... And about native herbalists using herbalism like invisibility...

"We are the Kalan. Lower your weapons and surrender your herbist components. We will add your herbal and fungal distinctiveness to our own. Your recipes will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 02:11:49 AM »
More or less... I'm thinking now of making a crafter PC. A guy that does nothing but craft... ALL crafts.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2008, 04:42:38 AM »
dont make herbalism too powerfull craft, if there starts to appear minimages tossing down potions of stoneskin, dispells, flame weapons etc.. things are quite effectively going towards hell

since everyone does it, and it doesnt take anything else but time to practice

Of course, if it comes to a point that herbalism gets too powerful, it's quite simple to us to reduce the amount of ingredients spawned. I don't think the current amount has potential to cause issues. People might find just enough ingredients to have potions to help them through the more dangerous situations and besting the powerful foes at the center of a dungeon, but it's still much more effective (and less time consuming) to have a spellcaster along to do the buffs instead.

I don't believe the current popularity even has anything to do with the potential powers of herbalism, but much more because people simply have found something new to explore, and a different purpose to adventuring, which, I think, we have been lacking.

Also... Is this herbalism things supposed to be "natural"? Cause... some of it doesn't really seem to be much different from "witchery." Seriously... Someone walking around all sparkly after drinking a potion of endure elements then trying to say "Oh, it's natural. It's herbalism!" isn't going to appease a anti-witch mob... And about native herbalists using herbalism like invisibility...

If anything is going to be perceived as witchery, it's going to be someone standing over a giant cauldron and drop down mysterious ingredients for miraculous effects. Natural? Perhaps, but still magical, and definitely witchery.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2008, 05:01:56 AM »

Also... Is this herbalism things supposed to be "natural"? Cause... some of it doesn't really seem to be much different from "witchery." Seriously... Someone walking around all sparkly after drinking a potion of endure elements then trying to say "Oh, it's natural. It's herbalism!" isn't going to appease a anti-witch mob...

I dunno, but Sedrick 'threw' a potion of endure elements on Jinx and she wasn't pleased. Reverse snowfall seems a sure tip off something isn't 'natural' to her mind.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
I still think that herbalism should go off of int and wis not wis and con just because we got some other craft coming in thats going to use wis and int i dont see why herbalism cant as well. Also there is a balancing factor of giving non casters a chance to do these things vs the casters. I think i'm also justified in saying this too as i've played castesr and non ones for crafting too and there's a large difference. Up to just recently florence spent proably the most time running around getting herbs and crafting them. Yet she's still lvl 1 vs others not just saying kalan or vasten here btw that are clerics/druids/etc are doing this less and way higher all because they can buff themselves and already got a nice high wis and con

Cast in point i saw a lvl 4 cleric do this for a little while with flo's help this person is now lvl 2 proably 3 now in the craft.

Wis = sense of perception of things and common sense etc

Int = knowledge and use of something that your doing

Con = bodily health and foritude towards life etc. How does it factor with herbs less your eating them in the crafting?

PinkTarantula

• Undead Master
  • Epic Skill Focus : Haiku
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2008, 09:22:53 AM »
Ability to withstand the noxious fumes that belch from the pot during the process of brewing, perhaps?
Blacken and sin, accept and be swept

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »
Sedrik is level 8 and has to make the buff potions to help brew with.

Perhaps the con is your ability to stir for long periods of time, or the ability to resist a hot spoon you forgot to take out of the cauldron!