Author Topic: Herbalism Suggestions  (Read 27020 times)

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
Herbalism Suggestions
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:48:54 AM »
For suggestions for the new herbalist system:

There is an unused cauldron in the Midway Haven Upper House Ground Floor. Can it be made a herbalist cauldron?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Herbalism Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:52:59 AM »
Midway Haven will most likely be used for alchemy.

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:53:57 AM »
Ooo.. that sounds promising!  :D

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:35:37 AM »
Wouldn't the Wizards Tower be useful as well?

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:07:57 AM »
sewers:  Some mushrooms and lichen could easily grow in the abandoned tunnels. Make it more tempting to silly top siders to venture in forbidden territory , too it just makes sense.

Docks and Noble's district didnt seem to have any lichen or mushrooms to offer.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:01:13 PM by Nefensis »

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »
Haven't seen any herbs in and around Barovia. Perhaps I was just blind, otherwise some herbs over that place would be nice!

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 07:38:04 AM »
Soren called out that the initial area would be only local to Vallaki initially - I think in the update...

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:44:26 PM »
Nice idea from Nef.

Some shrooms located in the Abandonned Tunnels would make for some nice role playing.  Characters can then choose to either risk sneaking or stomping in to get the shrooms, or offer to buy the shrooms, or be a friend to the faction and have easy access, or of course be an outcast who has easy access.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »
*Kalan goes about replanting fungus all over the Drain*
 :lol:  :lol:  :shock:

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

DarkWyvern

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »
It might be nice to see the herbs more scattered around barovia and not just in all the low level dungeons. With this new epidemic, which I don't forsee passing anytime soon, it really hurts the low levels who are getting crappy spawns after a hit from the Herb Hunters of higher level.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:37:28 PM »
Ive been going everywhere invisible myself to not grab the spawn, that and haste is a slight advantage. Needs this much herbs around barovia village, that would be fantastic.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:56:23 PM »
One thing that confuses me is that if it's just a 'sample' of the herb you're taking, shouldn't it not despawn once you take it?  Maybe it could be designed to not vanish after you take a sample for at least 3-4 uses, but that it would prevent players from taking multiple samples from the same spot.  That way availablility would be better.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »
One thing that confuses me is that if it's just a 'sample' of the herb you're taking, shouldn't it not despawn once you take it?  Maybe it could be designed to not vanish after you take a sample for at least 3-4 uses, but that it would prevent players from taking multiple samples from the same spot.  That way availablility would be better.

i said the same thing in my suggestions

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:02:06 AM »
The herbs are currently only to be found around vallaki, because it has to be added to other area's yet, so I guess availability will increase over time (so, when they get added throughout the whole module).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:03:44 AM by JipK »

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
Suggestion for the zones around vallaki

-Drain/abandoned tunels could use bleak cap

-Old temple of Nerull could use some ghost cap

The idea is to keep them not all cooped up in the lowbie zones so they arent overfarmed by higher lvls.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 03:14:34 AM »
The herbs now spawn all over the entire world!

Suggestion: The Old Svalich Road Cavern and Bandit Crypt had nothing in them, seems like they should.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 03:56:05 AM »
We have a bandit cyrpt?

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 04:13:05 AM »
yes

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 06:23:51 AM »
 :evil: Barovia's herbalist needs to be set up as an herbalist. (Isabella is it?)

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 06:25:08 AM »
Isabela with one L!

BreakFree

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »

Or just implement a new section to the crafting. Something like... foraging. The better your level of it, the more herbs you can pick at once, and so on. Not too sure how the technical stuff would work as it would be a pain to fail picking honey lilies. -Shrug.-
Marcus Rose: Red Vardo Traders

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »

Or just implement a new section to the crafting. Something like... foraging. The better your level of it, the more herbs you can pick at once, and so on. Not too sure how the technical stuff would work as it would be a pain to fail picking honey lilies. -Shrug.-

It is possible to fail at picking a flower, perhaps you mangled it beyond any use or cut the wrong part or the plant was not in a useful stage of growth.. could make a pruning knife item as crafting tool

BreakFree

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »

It is possible to fail at picking a flower, perhaps you mangled it beyond any use or cut the wrong part or the plant was not in a useful stage of growth.. could make a pruning knife item as crafting tool

Could potentially make it more challenging, as well. Like the armoring/smithing/etc, as they all have multiple skills required to become a lesser-Torgan.
Marcus Rose: Red Vardo Traders

Mordred

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 11:58:49 PM »
empty spirits bottles and other RP items found in loot that have no present use in crafting could be tagged to work with herbalism components.  Then the "dusty old bottle" could even impose a +1 or +2 DC to the craft check made using it, because it is not in prestine condition.

then...dusty old bottles would be available to those PCs who can't exactly convince an NPC to sell them perfect bottles  8)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 12:04:41 AM »
Id like to see the bottles costing more than 2fangs, templates all around for crafting stuff are between 5-20g if not more. A tad unbalanced.