Author Topic: Herbalism Suggestions  (Read 27189 times)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
Re: Herbalism Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
Yeah, it was pretty funny when we all randomely started collecting crap from crypts and fields and talking about it like we suddenly had taken classes on herbalism.

and that among so much is my biggest beef with alot of the herbalist that popped up suddenly  :)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
The bookstore started selling a book titled "101 herbs and fungi".

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2008, 04:21:35 PM »
The bookstore started selling a book titled "101 herbs and fungi".
The Basics of Herbalism Volume I: Herbs by Kalan Potrov
The Basics of Herbalism Volume II: Fungi by Kalan Potrov
The Basics of Herbalism Volume III: The Rule of Similarity by Kalan Potrov

:lol:  :shock:  :lol:  :shock:  :lol:  :shock:  :lol:

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2008, 04:27:13 PM »
 I saw the books! They were pretty nice.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
Can we get ingredients with the same effects to work in the same potion?

For instance, combining Wolftail and Bleak Cap make a potion of cowardice.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »
I saw a potion of ghostly visage recently. Is this an herbalism potion? If so, I think herbalism may have gone too far into the magical realm of effects.

Make you stronger, feel braver, heal faster, etc., sure. Many drugs/herbs in the real world will do that.

Make you turn into a ghost? Uh, I think that more properly belongs in the realm of something like enchanting.

Exactly how does a mixture of herbs make your quasi-incorporeal? I dunno, but I think maybe herbalism needs to be reined in a bit to be a bit more... mundane with its effects. Even invisibility potions is a bit much I think.

I'm starting to be getting more of a Forgetten Realms feel lately, than the more lower magic Ravenloft.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2008, 12:56:05 AM »
Those spells were always there and available, anyone with a bit of UMD or mage levels can use scrolls. Now it's just more widely sold.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2008, 12:59:33 AM »
Scrolls and UMD aren't universal though and my concern is that mixing herbs shouldn't create such powerful effects.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2008, 01:05:39 AM »
I saw a potion of ghostly visage recently. Is this an herbalism potion? If so, I think herbalism may have gone too far into the magical realm of effects.

Make you stronger, feel braver, heal faster, etc., sure. Many drugs/herbs in the real world will do that.

Make you turn into a ghost? Uh, I think that more properly belongs in the realm of something like enchanting.

Exactly how does a mixture of herbs make your quasi-incorporeal? I dunno, but I think maybe herbalism needs to be reined in a bit to be a bit more... mundane with its effects. Even invisibility potions is a bit much I think.

I'm starting to be getting more of a Forgetten Realms feel lately, than the more lower magic Ravenloft.

What I had envisioned, when the talks of Herbalism started, was that we were going to get Herbalism.  This would have been something cool, like various teas and tinctures, that did things like Add to saving throws, Minor stat adders (+1, +2), Drugs (sleep effect, paralysis effect, expeditious retreat effect), poultices that gave healing along the lines of a slow Regen (1-4 hitpoints per game hour), resistances to disease, resistance to poisons, hell, POISONS, parts for traps, treatment for disease that took time.  Toss in Various types of healing kits that functioned at different levels of efficiency, Tools that could be made to boost healing, and even, Trap Parts.

What we have, is full blown EASY alchemy, that one doesn't even need the brew potion feat for, and is a thousand times more effective then just the old feat.
Highly disappointed.  So far, all it's brought out is a ruptured economy, people running around with Hundreds of bottles of potions that do everything from protect one from death, to elements  (herbalism salve against fire +5 save vs Fire.  Current.  Full Blown protection from Elements, 5 gp here you go), to making one a ghost etc etc etc......All the way up to every dungeon being a nigh scorched earth wasteland that can't recover from the drove upon drove of herb gatherers smashing through them.

It's not Herbalism, it's Alchemy.  CHEAP EASY Alchemy at that.  I don't like it, and if it weren't for the fact I'm being rail road-ed into supporting it, I wouldn't support it.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2008, 04:32:27 AM »
  Herbalism should be tied in some way to skillsets (Healing+Lore) or the addition of a new feat/skill called Herbalism.  The ranks in said skill get added to the DC roll that you make on creation.  This would give a new skillset/feat choice for those who cater to the RP of being a Herbalist/brewer concept, as well.. forces those players that simply "want" the crafting ability to make the hard (or not so hard) decision on feat selection on the next level. 

Yes this may seem a bit unfair to the high level characters that have been around for ages.. but those same said characters typically will have gear, items and abilities (powers) that most the rest of the community fail to have.. or never will have.  So in effect it does level out the field a bit.

As for the EASY alchemy, I do agree with REX in this.  I really didn't have a clue to the upcoming addition until it was implimented.  Having a ranger/hunter, who does have a wide range of lore on wilderness (up and including herbs)  I never played it up, since there was little representation in game for it's use, aside from simply adding the researched literature into text emotes for RP purposes.  Now it's inplace, I welcome it, but at the same time I was expecting something simple and not an alternative source to Brew Potion feat.

I'm not dissappointed though.. Do not take this the wrong way, but I do feel it has only added more to those who are already powerful in game.  The uber caster now just has another weapon in their arsenal of tricks.  Not saying that a caster isn't already pre-disposed to the brew potion feat option, but why take it now when they can just use the CXP system for free.   :?

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2008, 06:07:27 AM »
If anything it made fighters more powerful, not mages.  Fighters can now resist elements and buff stats without breaking a sweat or having a "pocket mage".

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2008, 09:27:11 AM »
If anything it made fighters more powerful, not mages.  Fighters can now resist elements and buff stats without breaking a sweat or having a "pocket mage".

Yes it has.  But given that it enhances each and every class equally, the significance is moot.  Given that the casters (not just mages) no longer need to memorize any of those buffs either.  ;)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »

Yes it has.  But given that it enhances each and every class equally, the significance is moot.  Given that the casters (not just mages) no longer need to memorize any of those buffs either.  ;)

Key point and a good one.  Do not forget this also means that on the rare occasion, that they bring a non caster on a crawl with them, they don't have to buff the non caster, or themselves, and in effect, neutralize the buff duration nerf because now they have 500 gallons of bulls strength in a bag.  They can LITERALLY, run around stat buffed all the time.  For 5 gp.

Does it make Fighters more powerful .......No.......Though there probably is one, I haven't seen a Greater Magic Weapon Potion yet.  The key thing to Casters is Spells.  The Key things to Fighters is Gear and Skill.  In effect, this Easy Alchemy is a road to turning a fighter into a pocket minor caster, instead of someone that should be "THE GUY, with THE SWORD."  Now, it's a Chugging Contest.

I don't like it, I don't like Buffs being able to be used for ANY craft (And that is Not Stupid no matter what the Detractors Say), and would prefer a system that's more in line with real herbalism, with poultices, tinctures teas and what not that does stuff like minor regen, disease prevention, save adders, poisons and antidotes and the like, then the 600 Pack of Uber Buff now in a vented Can for easy chugging that we have now.  Move Alchemy, into a magic related field like Enchantment, require the brew potion feat, scrap this herbalism, and do up some recipes that fit HERBS, as opposed to MAGIC.

~Rex

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »
Suggestions:

Potions of Camouflage
Potions of Amplify
Potions of See Invis
Potions of Ultravision

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »
Suggestions:

Potions of Camouflage
Potions of Amplify
Potions of See Invis
Potions of Ultravision

That's a caster in a bottle.  So now you'll have a fighter  who also masquarades as a caster when he/she chugs down a potion. 

Does the caster get UMD in a bottle so they can use any weapon?  Does the caster get "Protection from Spell Failure" when they don heavy armor?  Where's the potion for "Use Martial/Exotic weapon"? 

Frankly, the logic behind this "herbalism" is escaping me. 

It's a lot of fun looking for these various herbalism components, but it doesn't make up for the system. 

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »
Potions of See invis to counter to Potions of See invis

The others I just figure might be fun

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
Potions of See invis to counter to Potions of See invis

The others I just figure might be fun

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Can't you just see the RP:

"I can see you.  Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah."   :P

"I can see you too.  Mwahahahaha".   :P

[chugs a potion]  "Now you can't see me".   :P

[chugs a potion]  "Yes, I can."   :P

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »

Key point and a good one.  Do not forget this also means that on the rare occasion, that they bring a non caster on a crawl with them, they don't have to buff the non caster, or themselves, and in effect, neutralize the buff duration nerf because now they have 500 gallons of bulls strength in a bag.  They can LITERALLY, run around stat buffed all the time.  For 5 gp.

Does it make Fighters more powerful .......No.......Though there probably is one, I haven't seen a Greater Magic Weapon Potion yet.  The key thing to Casters is Spells.  The Key things to Fighters is Gear and Skill.  In effect, this Easy Alchemy is a road to turning a fighter into a pocket minor caster, instead of someone that should be "THE GUY, with THE SWORD."  Now, it's a Chugging Contest.

I don't like it, I don't like Buffs being able to be used for ANY craft (And that is Not Stupid no matter what the Detractors Say), and would prefer a system that's more in line with real herbalism, with poultices, tinctures teas and what not that does stuff like minor regen, disease prevention, save adders, poisons and antidotes and the like, then the 600 Pack of Uber Buff now in a vented Can for easy chugging that we have now.  Move Alchemy, into a magic related field like Enchantment, require the brew potion feat, scrap this herbalism, and do up some recipes that fit HERBS, as opposed to MAGIC.

~Rex

I have to agree with Rex here.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »
This is starting to get a bit too far away from the reality of things... Moving around constantly buffed for 5 gp?

The limitation of the availability puts a bar on the amount of potions that can be produced. Should the availability become a problem, we'll simply regulate that. In effect, if anything, the availability of potions is much lower now than before, given that we've removed the stores where people were hoarding hundreds of potions.

Additionally I'm honestly unmoved by any suggestions that it should be 'realistic' - if we did that, herbalism would be so inferior to magic that no one would ever bother doing it - and we'd have a massive ghost system in the module, demanding resources. Should we make magic realistic too then? Should it be just card tricks? What defines what can contain exceptional magic qualities and what should just be realism?

I do appreciate the discussions and feedback, but if it's just a personal crusade in extend of a continuous and ever ongoing pessimism, I'm personally not going to weight the words very heavily.

Potions have always been a part of DnD. It never rendered the advantage of having casters obsolete - it's just a handy thing to have at hand that might save you in a dire situation.

And finally, we've deliberately chosen to separate the crafts completely from the normal level progression, both because it makes little sense to have people progress by putting down foes, but also because we want to introduce more diversity in the fields of progression, providing more than just one single dimension.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
This is starting to get a bit too far away from the reality of things... Moving around constantly buffed for 5 gp?

The limitation of the availability puts a bar on the amount of potions that can be produced. Should the availability become a problem, we'll simply regulate that. In effect, if anything, the availability of potions is much lower now than before, given that we've removed the stores where people were hoarding hundreds of potions.

Additionally I'm honestly unmoved by any suggestions that it should be 'realistic' - if we did that, herbalism would be so inferior to magic that no one would ever bother doing it - and we'd have a massive ghost system in the module, demanding resources. Should we make magic realistic too then? Should it be just card tricks? What defines what can contain exceptional magic qualities and what should just be realism?

I do appreciate the discussions and feedback, but if it's just a personal crusade in extend of a continuous and ever ongoing pessimism, I'm personally not going to weight the words very heavily.

Potions have always been a part of DnD. It never rendered the advantage of having casters obsolete - it's just a handy thing to have at hand that might save you in a dire situation.

And finally, we've deliberately chosen to separate the crafts completely from the normal level progression, both because it makes little sense to have people progress by putting down foes, but also because we want to introduce more diversity in the fields of progression, providing more than just one single dimension.

Obviously this is directed at me so I'll answer it.

1. Bottle costs 5gp.  Herbs are Free.  Buffed up, it's no Issue to churn out a pile of Potions for 5 gp each.  Dungeons are a wasteland of nothing now because buffed up Casters move out en'mass to clear cut the lands for every herb they can get.  The non casters get the scraps.  The Herbs Respawn faster then anything in the game.  You can quite easily if you know the recipe, run around stat buffed for the entire duration of your game play, for the chicken feed Expense that equates to a one sewer area Rat Run.  Which you have accumulated while stripping the sewers of all Herb spawns.

2. You removed potions from game forcing people that Didn't stock up on hundred of potions to turn to those people above, furthering their impact on the environment as a whole.  The availability is not Lower if you can maintain a steady presence in game, you can find people willing to sell you HUNDREDS of potions at once.

3.  Unmoved by suggestions that it should be realistic then you missed the point completely.  A Real Herb system is immensely Useful, and I had mentioned moving the Magical Potions, to the domain of the casters, in the form of Alchemy, which is How Potions are in DnD.  Hence it becomes the domain of those that should be able to do that (with the inclusion of the feat) and those that are not magical in nature, can have a system of non magical alternative that Fits the Setting, and would require very little in the term of ingredients resources or materials, using many things that are already In game therefore wouldn't have to be added.  Herbalism SHOULD be inferior to magic.  It's mundane.

4.  As far as me being pessimistic about it an an ongoing campaign in such, well, sorry I'm not all peace and light.  But being a Dane by heritage that makes me exceptionally stubborn, and if I see something I don't like and I can back it with point and fact, it's going to be heard.  Besides, I am not the only one, so the inference of an "ongoing campaign" is not only incorrect, it's actually mean.  I'm obviously not the only one that feels this way nor am I the one that brought up the point first.  Yet, one can infer that your entire post was directed at me, and if not, it's certainly directed at players that have views I would defend, since both sides should be heard equally.  Otherwise, all you do is end up back tracking to fix something that could have been prevented by hearing out the opposing side in the first place.

5.  Yes potions have always been a part of DnD, However, you removed any and all decent gear for a non caster or sneak from the game, in the name of Low Magic, and yet now Unleash something that saturates the realm completely, in Magic?  In Effect, giving people a zillion more options to be magical at the drop of a hat if you can guzzle a potion?  Up top earlier you mentioned we removed the potions from the stores to solve one problem, YET, down here you renege that response with We need LOTS more potions because that's a part of DnD.  Handy because it could save you?  Balanced party does that and now we have even less of a reason to have one of those, because the Casters don't need spell slots to buff themselves up to fighter levels.  Sneaks and Casters can now Equal Fighters in terms of AB and exceed them in terms of defense, at the expense of chicken feed.  In addition to that an environment has been created to where the semi Casters (Paladins/Rangers), swarm into the lower level dungeons by the horde, or camp them, in order to collect the easy money to go back to the crafter casters, and buy a few hundred potions, to go maul the higher level dungeons.

6.  Separating the Crafting Skills from the actual Leveling, is a great move.  Never said anything against that.  What I didn't like, was the Higher Levels that suddenly decided to jump the trade head on, have the insanely unfair advantage of buff after buff, completely skewing the entire system.  Now, in the name of a computer game, we have a rather fast Crafting process, which is fine everyone should have time to play.  But, in compromise to the real time required by the books, would be to set it up so Buffs Don't Work with the Crafting system.  Right now, due to the OOC nature of Recipe exchanges and what not, the Non caster with a good friend on the side that knows the recipes, can quaff a few potions and start churning them out by the truckload as well.  The 20 Con, Dwarf Barbarian with a high wisdom, and a pile of other dump stats is right around the corner as an Herb Crafter.  Further destroying even the meager hope, of a low magic setting.

Had high hopes for seeing something that was representative of the setting, especially with the reams of material for herbs and plants and even drugs and posiond all over the Ravenloft Material.  Don't get me wrong though I actually do appreciate the work that goes into this place.  I still stand by the fact though that this is contrary to the nature of the setting, and well like others said, More Forgotten Realms, Less Ravenloft.  Don't like it, nor to I liked being FORCED to RP it and the Support of It.

~Rex

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »
Doubt anyone's twisting your arm in supporting anything.

As for the rest, i think you're missing all the work the crafters have to do to get to the points of getting free potions, which none is at right now. Ask Deneve, ask Auska, ask Kalan, nothing is free, nothing is easy. Getting there certainly wasnt.

tzaeru

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
As for the rest, i think you're missing all the work the crafters have to do to get to the points of getting free potions, which none is at right now. Ask Deneve, ask Auska, ask Kalan, nothing is free, nothing is easy. Getting there certainly wasnt.

Does that also mean that it took less than a month to get to top of it?  :shock:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2008, 03:51:40 PM »
[cracks knuckles] Well, here we go...

1. Bottle costs 5gp.  Herbs are Free.  Buffed up, it's no Issue to churn out a pile of Potions for 5 gp each.  Dungeons are a wasteland of nothing now because buffed up Casters move out en'mass to clear cut the lands for every herb they can get.  The non casters get the scraps.  The Herbs Respawn faster then anything in the game.  You can quite easily if you know the recipe, run around stat buffed for the entire duration of your game play, for the chicken feed Expense that equates to a one sewer area Rat Run.  Which you have accumulated while stripping the sewers of all Herb spawns.[

Sure, people can get herbs for free, if they choose to spend the time gathering it, but they can get gold for free too if they spend time killing minks as well. Time isn't just free - you prioritize. If you are mid level, you can obtain much greater things for only a fraction of the time going into a fairly average dungeon that pose little risk. The only people this would provide a possible advantage of pursuing dedicatedly would be the very lowest level - and that's the ambition of the design. The lower levels will be able to meaningfully occupy themselves gathering herbs to then trade the ingredients to higher levels, producing a natural incitement for interaction and the associated roleplay.

What I'm more curious about though, is the persistence in completely ignoring the point that if this was the case, and the herbalism ingredients are too abundant, it would be exceptionally easy to regulate. Perhaps I'm not being clear enough about that point, but if it isn't that, I can only perceive it as crusading rather than argumentation.

2. You removed potions from game forcing people that Didn't stock up on hundred of potions to turn to those people above, furthering their impact on the environment as a whole.  The availability is not Lower if you can maintain a steady presence in game, you can find people willing to sell you HUNDREDS of potions at once.

It'll never be more effective for gathering herbalism ingredients to frequent the dungeon areas as to moving around the landscape. You move through the open areas unhindered while you have to struggle your way through creature lairs. As such, the most effective way is to trade, as while all will pass ingredients as they move about - high and low - there's a diverse demand for it.

3.  Unmoved by suggestions that it should be realistic then you missed the point completely.  A Real Herb system is immensely Useful, and I had mentioned moving the Magical Potions, to the domain of the casters, in the form of Alchemy, which is How Potions are in DnD.  Hence it becomes the domain of those that should be able to do that (with the inclusion of the feat) and those that are not magical in nature, can have a system of non magical alternative that Fits the Setting, and would require very little in the term of ingredients resources or materials, using many things that are already In game therefore wouldn't have to be added.  Herbalism SHOULD be inferior to magic.  It's mundane.

With fear of sounding cocky, didn't you just miss my point completely? What is mundane and what's not when transcending to a fantasy world (which Ravenloft, despite having magic being more rare, still undeniably is) is entirely subjective and up for each rendition of the world to define. That a magician can access supernatural magic but a herbalist cannot is exactly as subjective an evaluation as the opposite.

4.  As far as me being pessimistic about it an an ongoing campaign in such, well, sorry I'm not all peace and light.  But being a Dane by heritage that makes me exceptionally stubborn, and if I see something I don't like and I can back it with point and fact, it's going to be heard.  Besides, I am not the only one, so the inference of an "ongoing campaign" is not only incorrect, it's actually mean.  I'm obviously not the only one that feels this way nor am I the one that brought up the point first.  Yet, one can infer that your entire post was directed at me, and if not, it's certainly directed at players that have views I would defend, since both sides should be heard equally.  Otherwise, all you do is end up back tracking to fix something that could have been prevented by hearing out the opposing side in the first place.

Being a stubborn Dane myself, I'll firmly claim that this is not directed at anyone in person but at the turn the discussion has taken. My argument is exactly that it has moved far beyond what's fact. Call it mean if you want, I'd feel it perfectly sound to perceive the excessive pushing things in a negative direction beyond rational and balanced evaluation to be equally, if not more mean. If there's an issue of over-abundance, then approach that, but it's not benefiting either of us to assume a single-minded and exaggerating approach. How can you then expect those you approach to be anything but resilient toward listening to your concerns?

5.  Yes potions have always been a part of DnD, However, you removed any and all decent gear for a non caster or sneak from the game, in the name of Low Magic, and yet now Unleash something that saturates the realm completely, in Magic?  In Effect, giving people a zillion more options to be magical at the drop of a hat if you can guzzle a potion?  Up top earlier you mentioned we removed the potions from the stores to solve one problem, YET, down here you renege that response with We need LOTS more potions because that's a part of DnD.  Handy because it could save you?  Balanced party does that and now we have even less of a reason to have one of those, because the Casters don't need spell slots to buff themselves up to fighter levels.  Sneaks and Casters can now Equal Fighters in terms of AB and exceed them in terms of defense, at the expense of chicken feed.  In addition to that an environment has been created to where the semi Casters (Paladins/Rangers), swarm into the lower level dungeons by the horde, or camp them, in order to collect the easy money to go back to the crafter casters, and buy a few hundred potions, to go maul the higher level dungeons.

Again, should the reality of what's going on in game be like this representation you pose, we can very easily regulate the supply.

6.  Separating the Crafting Skills from the actual Leveling, is a great move.  Never said anything against that.  What I didn't like, was the Higher Levels that suddenly decided to jump the trade head on, have the insanely unfair advantage of buff after buff, completely skewing the entire system.  Now, in the name of a computer game, we have a rather fast Crafting process, which is fine everyone should have time to play.  But, in compromise to the real time required by the books, would be to set it up so Buffs Don't Work with the Crafting system.  Right now, due to the OOC nature of Recipe exchanges and what not, the Non caster with a good friend on the side that knows the recipes, can quaff a few potions and start churning them out by the truckload as well.  The 20 Con, Dwarf Barbarian with a high wisdom, and a pile of other dump stats is right around the corner as an Herb Crafter.  Further destroying even the meager hope, of a low magic setting.

This argument, I do agree with at large. I've just been implementing the ignoring of stat buffs into the current module, and do have plans of at some point giving advantages to certain backgrounds, races, classes etc., to make it all more meaningful and even balanced.

Had high hopes for seeing something that was representative of the setting, especially with the reams of material for herbs and plants and even drugs and posiond all over the Ravenloft Material.  Don't get me wrong though I actually do appreciate the work that goes into this place.  I still stand by the fact though that this is contrary to the nature of the setting, and well like others said, More Forgotten Realms, Less Ravenloft.  Don't like it, nor to I liked being FORCED to RP it and the Support of It.

Being an experienced roleplayer as yourself, I'm sure you also know that roleplaying is too very much a matter of compromising and building stories from what you're able to establishing in common. To that extend, yes, you are put under some conformities for the sake of consistency. We've never claimed to go exactly by the book - a lot of the things we have here would ever have existed if it was so - but on the other hand, we've been largely inspired by the materials posed in the official books. The effects aren't completely outside range of what effects the core books have - many of the Ravenloft canon ingredients produce effects that cannot be explained in any other way than containing some form of magic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 03:56:28 PM by Zarathustra217 »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »
/More:

I cannot help to think the herbalism popularity is still a bit resting on the newness factor of things. To obtain the more powerful potions, you need a broader selection of potions. If you are able to acquire that in abundance, you are most likely at a level of power where the effects of these potions are minor compared to the effects a caster of your level can provide you with - and that's without any costs or real hassle. The true spellcaster will also be able to provide the effects at a much higher caster level.

But again, I'm in no way ruling out that we'll regulate the availability. Right now, I'm just more leaning toward regulating one thing at a time and then evaluate the consequence. The disregarding of ability buffs is next in queue.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
I really do think there is a problem though. In the year that I've played here, I've been mostly a non-magic user. The items available to me that leant magical aid were few and far between. The easiest "buff" was purchasing barkskin potions from the beekeeper. Everyone once in a LONG while, I'd find a speed potion or invisibility potion, or an herb that did something similar. Things like the Dragon's eyes were something I purchased everytime I found one at Murnu's (which wasn't often). Otherwise, it was just the occasional Bless or Aid potion. One of Torgan's most prized possessions was an amulet that simply had multiple uses of Shield. Now, I won't be surprised if Shield (like Ghostly Visage) is available in brewed form.

The last herbalist I confronted had TWENTY-ONE invisibility potions and something like TEN haste potions! Had every single stat buff, in multiple quantities. This increases the amount of magic on the server, when I think we already have too much as it is.

While this fellow has been cranking out potions like crazy, but that's a huge supply of something that used to be a rare commodity.

And I agree with Rex, Herbalism should take a back seat to magic, and I'd think folks would still be potionmakers.