Author Topic: Oddments and such  (Read 10645 times)

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
Re: Oddments and such
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
[written in a thin spidery hand are the following records]

Miss Bree  Total- 4,060           35 +  175  + 245  +  105  + 140  + 595  + 280 + 455  + 175 + 210 + 595 + 1,050             116 boxes                              92,800 paid

Miss Ly   Total-  3,595          105  + 490   + 315 + 238  + 556 + 666 + 1,015 + 210                                                    102.7 boxes                            82,655 paid

Mister Thomas   Total-  1,325          105   + 175 + 170 + 175 +210  + 140 + 140 +175 + 35                                                  37.8 boxes                              30,475 paid

Amamir Tenglemend   Total- 875                               875                                                                                         25 boxes                                 20,000 paid

Miss Lin von Heim  Total- 202                     38 + 25 +35 +26 + 78                                                                               5.7 boxes                                4,646 paid

Miss Aleah          Total- 82                                       82                                                                                           2.3 boxes                                1,866 paid

Miss Lex aka Alexandra Total-  52                                 52                                                                                           1.4 boxes                                1,196 paid

Sywyn        Total- 35                                                 35                                                                                            1 box                                     800 paid

Miss Bree, First Place- White Scarab
Miss Ly, Second Place- Hector's Wary Treads
Mister Thomas, Third Place- Lotus Greaves

Was interesting all told, a few curiosities such as a male, Amamir Tenglemend, no one seems to have ever heard of showing up with a most cocky attitude sure he'd win and twenty five boxes brought in all at once, never to be seen again.  Then another fellow, Sywyn, not so much participating as he seemed to be trying to glean who might be leading or competing but each participant only had a right to know their own total.

I don't know if the best won, and who is to say who is best anyway, but I expect it was those who wanted it the most, and did everything possible to ensure the winning, and I suppose when it comes down to it? All contests are just such a measure of any individual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[written in a thin, spidery hand on the next page]

Little sneaky male in black, red gloves, the one kept stalking Senies, asking him all sorts of obvious questions about the drain and so on seems to have some new targets to follow around camp, Mister Thomas and the one everyone is calling "Mother".  Reds might have the means to set some one up but they don't train very well.  He's a Vardo, no he isn't, he and Masame were both thrown out, but now he's with the Port, the Port captain will reveal herself when the time is right, but her name is all over the papers they plaster in the port, captain Rousseau. Of course who Rosseau is, beyond apparently a female if that can even be taken as said,is likely as big a mystery as what Vardo does besides sit behind closed doors clutching at their keys whispering all their words.  What if I wasn't working for the port he says, what then? Why did you lie about the Ezrite armor, why did you say Masame and I were going to sell you some? You attacked Natelas of the Vardo. She claims he was spying on her, obvious about it and asking too many questions at the Lady's Unrest, that he was thrown out of Reds because she told them he was spying and it displeased her.  I don't see you paying me or telling me anything useful he says to her before leaving.

Only the names and details change really it's the same conversations folks been having for years. I do recall she wanted Lord of Morning's armor once, amusingly that was right after I saw some for sale with Djordji, purchased it and returned it back to their own in a fit of altruism.  I've always had an interesting sense of timing without intention. I've always tried to do the correct action only to find it was benefitting everyone but myself.  Perhaps I should have kept it, folks think what they do regardless of my efforts, and what they think, is always the worst.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Written on another page]

The worst indeed, now I'm called a puppet master who orchestrated the Wayfarers and the Garda being at odds?  It's ludicrous and yet  what is most disappointing is how quick some one like Clydessa is to believe such lies without any proof, without speaking to me.  I eventually found out from mister Ricard who made me promise beforehand not to harm Clyde.  But why would I harm Clyde?  How would such an action make any situation better? No, that might be how everyone else solves their problems, removes their perceived obstacles, copes with slander against them, but not I.  If anyone knows anything about me at all, they know I wait and endure my troubles so that I might outlast them, so that those who seek to slander or harm me consume themselves with their own petty hostilities and greed, much as Vasco did.

Clydessa believes I worship Cyric as well, I who have always sought to avoid the attention of any deities at best, and consider them absent from these misty bordered lands at the worst.  I've advised the religious such as Grevis to have faith in themselves, in others they might trust, not the political invention of Ezra or the missing gods of their homeland.  Yet still this misconception I bend my knee to some deity is so easily believed? and such a deity as that?

It's disappointing, to know that no matter what I do, what I say, how I act, this is how I'm considered....yet I wonder how is it anyone would consider me a murderer when all I do is try to avoid killing.  Religious when I consider the gods dead in these lands or political inventions and to be avoided if they should exist.  Clearly miss Clydessa was more willing to accept such obvious lies without any proof, to think the worst of me by the mere words of another and mister Ricard is no different if he feels a need to extract some promise I won't harm an easily manipulated fool for being ignorant and preferring to believe the worst than do a single thing to find out the truth.  He didn't need such a promise, I've no interest in harming anyone, if I act at all it's to prevent wasted blood and destruction not to cause it.

I miss Amaril so much that I hate myself for the weakness of it.  Even Avarice had the decency to let me know she would be gone.  At least she told me she wouldn't be around and was leaving so I knew better than to rely on her for anything.  I'm grateful for that and appreciate it. I was perhaps a fool to think some one I loved and married would do me at least that same courtesy, rather than keep pushing me towards Senies and prefer to spend all his time watching the mushrooms grow.  No one seems to know Amaril and I married, they all have that same expression of incredulous surprise, as if I'm making it all up when I tell them.  I suppose I was an embarrassment to him?  I doubt I'll know the truth of it other than his absence and lack of communication for these past months speaks volumes about his sentiment.  If only he would have cared enough to say goodbye, then I'd know that there was at least respect, if no love and now I do know, by his silence, there was neither love nor respect. I willingly gave him the very best of everything I had to offer, and like everyone else, once he got what he wanted, he disappeared.

To hate what I love would just be another show of weakness, and that I refuse to do.  It was bad enough to love him, so I hardly intend to replace one weakness with another.  I have no one to blame but myself for these weak feelings of affection because I don't want to be alone and if I thought he was perfect, well, I'm often wrong.  I should thank him for finally ending any naive belief that there is such a thing as lasting love or respect.

Thank you mister Amaril, where ever you are.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:07:42 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
a list
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »

[Written in a thin spidery hand is the following list]

7 Silver Gilded Long Swords
7 Tower Shields
3 Steel Crossbows
3 Long Bows- at least 1 of them a white stag
3 Silver Gilded Halberds
1 Silver Gilded Dagger
1 Steel Heavy Flail- cancelled
Steel arrows, steel bolts, silver arrows, silver bolts- one bag of each
Sturdy Bags- at minimum enough to hold the ordered items

Delivered the Following:

5 Crossbows of Murder
Hector's Cutter Long Sword
Thruster Short Sword
Venom Dagger
3 Sturdy Bags
1 White Stag Ash Composite Longbow
2 Shadow Wood Ash Composite Longbows

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:54:27 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
[Written in a thin, spidery hand]

"Do as want" sounds so simple but it isn't.  One doesn't love another then seek to change everything about them, one accepts and loves what is, not what might be. I won't deny I tried to some degree, wrong as it was and as much as it did hurt him, I'd do it again. I hated those damn wings and promised never again, gave my word I wouldn't hurt him.  To stand against him in his dangerous choice of ally is to only further destruction, to stand beside him is to do the same. To seek to remove this source of alliance, this problematic obstacle, will only create a void to be filled again by another who fits in its place.  I've seen that happen enough, so many times that the feeling of historical repetition is a familiar and disagreeable sensation.

Even so, I fail to understand how those who foresee the inevitable might be so carefree, there must be more to what is seen than a single end?  Perhaps there is something beyond that and this is where the acceptance lies?  A clarity gained by embracing an inevitable course as the proper path, the only choice?  Is there some ironic freedom to be gained by accepting fate?  Do I fear that freedom, or the fate?

I want Amaril, I miss him, and it changes nothing. It won't bring him back and while I look to the lost past I deny the present.  I cannot deny, Senies is the only one who hasn't left and I want to believe he won't. Even while he whores his way across the land, there's a sense of loyalty unique to him.  A guileless honesty rarely found outside of animals.  It should suffice, it has to do.  It is all that remains and yet is more than an entire world of self told delusional lies about love, about honor, about respect. The lies are handsome and grand, the truth starkly grotesque but the truth is and ever shall be, the actual reality and there is no life in lies.

Not knowing what to do, I so often do nothing.  Loathing choices I still realize inaction is a choice, but one without conviction or sense of purpose.  I know well how everything dies, and I never forgot True Mr Not's advice that as we all must die, what remains is the choice to die for something which matters to us.  Everyone does as they want, duty and honor are still choices made at some point, choices made with the illusion of no other option.  And if I don't want to stand aside while I watch others destroy themselves, so bent on war and wasting precious blood as if that were their only course of action, what then?  I see no difference between them, two extreme sides of the same coin.  On one side is Senies, having made his alliance with the one they call Mother.  I suppose the irony is lost upon him how he sought to destroy Morticia only to stand beside another breathless and protect her, but Morticia didn't take advantage of his very direct and simplistic motivations as this one has.

On the other side is a self righteous group who uses the same methods and means they decry in others as abhorrent, as so called evil.  A gathering of hypocrites.

Mists take us all, and they have.  We all of us deserve death, which is to say all of us deserve the inevitable conclusion to the drawing of breath, an end to circular repetition and then, oblivion.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:30:52 PM by Vespertilio »

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
Notes on the Vistani
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 02:56:33 PM »
---------------Notes on the Vistani-----------

--The Vistani--

Protected in Barovia, persecuted in Invidia, the Vistani are not so simply what one can call gipsy, they are not even all the same groups, even if they may be confused for such by the uneducated.

To be Vistana is a birthright, one cannot become a Vistana but one can stop being a Vistana.  A single drop of non Vistani blood means an individual won't ever be accepted completely by the Vistani and half Vistani are called Giomorgo.  Non Vistani are referred to as Giorgio.

Vistani wander and must do so lest they lose those curious abilities which set them apart from mere gipsies and Giorgio.  Vistani who, for what ever reason, cease to wander and remain in one place for too long, are called Mortu and are no longer considered Vistani.

Darklings, such as those encountered in the Forest Fane near the Village of Barovia, are Vistani who have been sent away from their tribe, sometimes as a result of a Vishnadd, a trial for disputes.

All Vistani have some commonalities and abilities shared among them regardless of Tasque or tribe.  They speak the same language, called Patterna, perform certain rituals such as the Prastonata, have the ability to walk the mistways, to see into the future, otherwise known as 'The Sight', to lay curses upon those who have wronged them and possess a capacity to find who they need whenever they have need of them.  Vistani tribes are led by a Raunie, a female possessing The Sight who arbitrates disputes and passes judgement, and a Captain, a male leader reponsible for the more day to day aspects of tending to camp such as procuring supplies, scouting camp locations, overseeing the setting up and breaking down of the camp.

------Vistani Tasques----
There are three Tasques or nations of Vistani; the Kaldresh, the Manusa and the Boemian.  These Tasques are further divided into tribes.

-The Kaldresh-

Those members of the Kaldresh Tasque are known for being providors of goods and services, builders and craftsmen beyond the skill of Giorgio master smiths.  They often trade with Giorgio and have been known to follow the armies of outsiders or Giorgio merchants or mercenery caravans ready to sell or build what people need.  The Kaldresh are often found where wars are fought and their tribes are large, sometimes having as many as forty members. Their garb is less colourful than other Vistani Tasques and tribes as well as more practical.  Some of their women even wear trousers.  The Kaldresh are the most melancholy of all the Tasques and the most likely to be encountered due to their trade with and following of Giogoto caravans.

The kaldresh are further divided into the tribes known as Kamii, Equaar and Vatraska.  The Kamii are primarily blacksmiths who make tools, weapons, just about anything, and some say the items made by them are far more easily used as a catalyst for magic.
The Equaar tame wild animals and train warhorses, sheperd dogs and tracking hounds.  The Vatraska are healers and might be found following Giorgio army caravans offering their services.  The Vatraska heal primarily via the use of balms which are created from poisons and soups such as chicken.

The Kaldresh Origin Myth is known as The Tale of Vistan.

-The Manusa-

The Manusa are the rarest of Vistani Tasques to be encountered around the core but are most common in Barovia where Vistani enjoy the protection of that realm's Count Strahd XI.  The Raunie of those Vistani who are known to camp near Tser Falls Pool in Barovia, Madame Eva, is of the Manusa Tasque amd Zarovan tribe.  They are known for their abilities in magical arts. The Manusa are further divided into two tribes, the Canjar and the Zarovan.

-The Boemian-

Members of the Boemian Tasque are known for their skill in entertainments for their dancing and musical abilities. They are further divided into the tribes of Naiat and Corvara, and for outsiders it is very hard to tell these two tribes apart. Both males and females have pierced noses and ears, wear bright coloured outfits and jewelry made from glittering stones.  The women tend to go barefoot.  The Boemians are more passionate, merry and embrace with joy their lot of being eternal nomads.  Occasionally they organize carnivals. Boemian vardos are highly decorated and colourful, as are the outfits and jewels of the Boemians themselves.

Of the Corvara it has been said, be wary of them, they can do harm even when they mean to do good.

-------Vistani Abilities Shared by all Tasques------

1. Viastani can lay curses.

2. Vistani can see into the future via various means of divination such as; The Tarokka Cards, Chiromancy, Astrology, Sortilege, Haruspication, Geomancy, Pyromancy and the casting of dice or gazing into a flawless crystal ball.

3. Mist Travel

4. A capacity to find who they need when they need them. Akin to some sort of uniquel tracking ability.

--Vistani Camps---

Vistani camps are rarely attacked and Giorgio are tolerated in a camp so long as they do not cause problems for the Vistani. Perhaps because they see themselves as so removed from all other groups, this tolerance is given equally to all outsiders.  There is no perceived difference in regard towards; a human, dwarf, or any other race, or even to those of mixed blood such as the Demonlets, or those considered Caliban, by any Vistana I have observed.  All outsiders seem to be regarded with the same seeming distant curiosity and wry mirth. A Vistani camp may include various Tasques and tribes such as the large encampent in the mists but generally they are much smaller.

Vistani will even allow Giorgio to observe some of their rituals such as the Pastronata and Doroq but others like the Lunaset are exclusive to Vistani and closely guarded.

-Vistani Weddings-

Vistani weddings are arranged.  The ceremony taking place during the full moon. The husband joins his wife's family and all his possessions pass into her family as well.

--The Dukkar--

Dukkar means roughly translated 'the one who is hunted by death' and it seems that only by becoming horribly evil can the Dukkar escape death.  Said to be a male Vistani born with 'The Sight', there are many Doroqs, or stories, about the Dukkar.  Generally he is born to a Darkling tribe or among the Vistani but to a mother too loving to put him to death.  According to the stories a Dukkar has all the power of a Vistani, possessing of The Sight but also has some fiendish powers such as the summoning of beast or aberrations, or that he eats children.

-Known Dukkar-

Hysoksa is claimed by the Vistani to have caused the Great Upheaval in 740.  It is said Hysoksa was escaping death but death found and took him, but before death took him Hysoksa had time enough to cause a most terrible thing.

Malocchio Aderre- The Ruler of Invidia, responsible for the persecution of Vistani in that land and possessing a great and burning hatred for the Vistani.

See also the tome The Threat of the Dukkar (author unknown) for additional information and lore.

Glossary of Vistani Related Words:

Boemian- One of the three main Tasques of the Vistani, skilled entertainers, dancers and musicians. This nation is further divided into the tribes of Naiat and Corvara.

Captain- The captain of a Vistani tribe is to my knowledge always male. They deal with the practical matters of the camp; supplies, scouting, setting and breaking camp, supervising trade matters.

Darklings- These are outcast Vistani. Those Vistani who were sent away from the tribe, possibly as a result of a Vishnadd decision.

Doroq- The ritualized sharing of tales between Vistani. The tales have various themes common to most tales; love, jealousy, heroes, tragedy, time, origin myths of the Vistani and so on.  They are commonly a part of a ritual of socialization after the camp has been secured, following the evening meal.  Giorgio are welcome to listen to these tales but it is said will likely have a harder time understanding their true meaning to the Vistani.

Dukkar- When translated this word means roughly "The one who is hunted by death".  There are many stories about (Doroqs) about the Dukkar.  According to some of the tales a Drukkar has all the power of a Vistani but also some fiendish powers as well. Male Vistani possessing 'The Sight' are put to death at an early age and various tales explain how the Dukkar escaped this fate as a male with 'The Sight'.

Endari-vitir - "All paths converge". The parting words when a large tribe splits into two smaller ones.  The Raunie of the original tribe decides the new tribe's raunie and captain.

Giogoto-  The term means "enlightened but not of the blood".

Giomorgo- a Half-Vistani.  Even a single drop of non Vistani blood means such an individual won't ever be accepted as Vistani.

Giorgio- Non Vistani.

Kaldresh- One of the three main Tasques of the Vistani, known for being providers of goods.  This nation is further divided into the tribes of Kamii who are known for their skill in weaponcraft, Equaar who are renown animal tamers and Vatroska who are skilled healers. They are somewhat more melancholy and the least 'Vistani' of all the Tasques for their close interactions with Giogoto.

Lunadi- means it 'is done by the next new moon'.

Manusa- One of the three main Tasques of the Vistani, the Manusa are the rarest of Vistana nations around the core, but are most commonly found in Barovia. Manusa are known for their arcane talents. This nation is further divided into the tribes of Canjar and Zarovan.  Canjars are known for their jewels which are more than just a form of craftsmanship and such jewels are not sold.

Mortu-  Are Vistani who have stopped wandering  for any reason to stay in the same place for too long, and as such are no longer considered Vistani.  They are almost giorgio in regards as to how Vistani see the Mortu.

Patterna- The Vistani language.

Prastonata- A Vistani ritual of free dance.  The musicians follow the movements of the dancers and the Prastonata ends when the dancers are exhausted.  Only a portion of a larger and more complex ritual, the Prastonana preceeds the Doroq.

Raunie- The most important figure in any Vistani camp. Female leader of a Vistani tribe who posesses The Sight.  The Raunie is also the matriarch who makes decisions and judgements in discussions for the tribe.

Sight, 'The'- A Vistani's ability to see into the future.  The Sight is almost exclusive to female Vistani, however, once every few generations a male Vistani is born with The Sight.  Such males are known as Dukkar and are considered a bad omen by the Vistani.

Tarokka- A deck of cards used by many Vistani to fortell the future.  These cards resemble playing cards, having various suits but different than the more mundane sort common to gambling.  The suits are Glyphs, Coins, Swords and Stars and number from one or the ace, to ten.  There are additional cards, more significant when appearing in a reading known as the Major Arcana.  These cards represent entities or things, having names such as The Artifact, The Marionnette, The Beast, The Dojon, The Raven, The Hangman and others.

Tasques-  The Vistani Nations, which are further divided into tribes. There are three main Tasques; Boemian, Manusa and the Kadresh. Tasques are characterized by a specific 'craft' or set of skills or talents;  Boemian are known as entertainers, Manusa for their arcane arts and Kadresh as providors of goods.

Vardo-  The grand, wooden and covered wagons common to any Vistani camp.  To the Vistani a vardo is a symbol of their status, the Boemian Tasque having the most colorful and elaborately decorated vardos.

Vishandd- Trial for disputes.

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »

He's gone, Clyde says she saw the Garda take his body so that's that. She couldn't say much else was anything she actually saw herself, and a "weird druid" who supposedly told her the rest doesn't sound like a reputable source as to what happened before Senies was killed. They won't be releasing him, they'll just keep him with the irredeemable dead.  I wonder how many who spoke with me at the mist camp before she did knew he was gone but said nothing to me. I do expect some did, like Inari, but she didn't speak, she walked away to stand by the caravan, acted differently and said nothing.  Just waited for the caravan and then, right before she stepped onto it waved what I can only presume was truly goodbye.  This is how people repay for generosity shown.  They walk away, say nothing and then whisper who knows what amongst themnselves while I sit ignorant under a tree with cherries.

This from some one whose suggestion to repay my gifting her a ring of eyes was to suggest using Senies, by killing the blue haired, horned demonlet and frame the "Mother" for the act so that he would turn against her.  How does that even do Senies or myself anything but ill? My head hurts simply contemplating how such folk can consider themselves decent. How could anyone suggest such a venture as trying to repay me for a gift?  I didn't even ask Inari for anything in return for the ring because it was a gift. If she was going to do anything however she could have told me what happened to him, the one thing that might have mattered to me, to know what happened to him and that he was gone.  No, she only sought to use him, and myself, for what I presume she felt was some clever proposition, because she knows I don't like the "Mother".  Perhaps I don't like this "Mother" and why would I? She's just another one among them all who seeks to use Senies as some force of destruction when I'm trying so desperatley to prevent it, to try and keep him out of dire circumstances and troubles.  I failed, how could I do anything but fail when most everyone calls him a monster and damns him for his very existence.

Clyde wants to help him, she spoke of flesh to stone and going to the Citadel....no one can help him now, all anyone can do is die for him.  I asked her if she wanted to die for him, she said no, and no is what any sane individual would reply.  I told her to realize he's gone and there is nothing anyone can do for him.

Mister Witch didn't tell me what happened to Senies either. He handed me sealed letters and asked that I wait a week, and said if I don't see him after a week's passing, consider him dead and open the letters. I haven't opened them, I doubt I ever will. If he tries to do anything, he won't be coming back.  I'm very skilled in not breaking seals, I have letters sealed still dating back years now.  There is little reason to read letters when the writers are dead and gone.

Some folks have said to me of Senies, he just needed some one to care about him, to love him that didn't want to use him, be his 'mate' and he'd be alright, but it wasn't enough.  I've always had an astonishing capacity to give everything I could and it still falls short.  He's all I had left, and now he's gone.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:31:27 PM by Vespertilio »

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »

I don't know how.......but mister Witch brought Senies out of that vaulted place, and Lin von Heim, the former Wayfarer.  He told me he didn't want to kill anyone, but he could hear the garda giving orders telling his men to station themselves at every door and kill any intruder on sight.  Mister Witch says he didn't have a choice......that isn't entirely true, he might have laid down and died, it's what I probably would have done, but he obviously isn't me.  

Still, I'll get my chance to die I'm sure, it's only a matter of time now. I told Senies long before I wouldn't kill for him and I know that means they will most assuredly kill me.  Kill or die.

I've tried so hard to prevent this, to prevent needless warring as a full time pursuit and effort.  Perhaps it is just a matter of fate now. I could see it with the Wayfaring Kinship and how they wanted to push Senies towards the citadel, kept telling him to go there knowing he would be attacked on sight if he did. How Vasco in concert with the Red Smiles spread lies and slandered him when Senies was Red in the port and how Silivasi was helped by certain literate individuals in the port to drive Senies out of Reds.  How that "Mother" and the blue haired, horned demonlet licked their lips and swayed their hips towards him because they saw in him a hulking mass with a sword in its hand they might mislead for their own purposes.

I can see it in the way most look at him, whether they sneer or smile beguilingly at him, be it wanting to end or use him. They enact self fullfilling prophecies about what they presume he is, lead him towards destructive intent then call him nothing but a womb freak, and even that is incorrect. He wasn't born with the horns, they were thrust upon him. He didn't spring fully formed from the very earth as some malevolent entity, some monster, but they created one in him as sure as a man who beats a dog every day is eventually bitten.  Then, the man puts down that dog as rabid and is proclaimed some one worthy of respect.

Beaten and tempered into an edge borne by one with uncaring eyes.

[A short letter has been tucked between the pages of the journal]

*the note is addressed to Veltis*

Veltis,

Report to the citadel, failure to do so will result in a bounty.  I am sure you aware of what this is about.

-Lieutenant Dumitrascu-
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:31:55 PM by Vespertilio »

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
"do you want me to go into the citadel with you?"
"They'd let you?"
"I could ask, no harm in asking."
"Not as such no.  Then yes."

"I love shashlyk."
"what's that?"
"Meat on skewer, with onions."
"Sounds very tasty."
"It is. Pretty lucky to have meat in Vorostokov, normally it's just cabbage and potatoes. Well, here we are.  You'll be alright.  They probably just want to ask you a bunch of dumb questions."
"At the least, yes." 
"Come, we'll go together."

"You're very beautiful."
"egh"
"It's true."
"Not for long eh?"

-----------------------------------------

"You know why you're here Veltis."
"You regretted it didn't you sir?"
"Fifty men are dead, because of your pet beast."
"He isn't mine.....if he was fifty men wouldn't be dead."

"Everyone knows of your association with it. The Wayfarer's told my men, they're after blood."
"I do bleed."
"I told them that I would deal with it, deal with you. They would have you hanging from our pole in the dungeon, peeling off your skin until you give them something."
"I didn't expect to leave here....no."
"Would you blame them, Veltis?"
"If I blamed them, I wouldn't be here and you'd be putting up another bounty."

"I can't let you go with nothing, the men want blood."
"I hardly expected to walk out of this place sir, Sofiya can attest to that."
"I will be able to spare your life."

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »

"Salut...you know why you are in here da?"
"I think so, da. You're hoping he'll come? I'm hoping he wont, for everyone's sake."
"I am nu hoping he comes...fifty bun soldiers are now dead from his last visit."
"Da. And this is why, I hope he has no idea where I am, and never does."
"Perhaps you know where he might be?"
"He might be many places, but he's avoided Barovia, so that isn't one of them."
"Why would he come for you?"
"I tried to be sure he wouldn't."

"He is a wombfreak...it does nu surprise me...he was nu some iadul saint before."
"He isn't...He's not from your misty bordered lands, he's not...that...but he isn't what he was now either, he's on a path so bloody it shows."
"He is a murderer of garda...that makes him nothing more than a bug needing to be squashed.  I think...you are here for questioning...I suggest you cooperate, Lieutenant Dumitrascu is nu as...lenient as he was."
"He has every reason not to be, da."
"Veltis..I nu like holding prisoners that did nu commit crimes other than knowing someone that did, but this is nu my call."
"Dumitrascu sent word he wanted me to come to the citadel, I knew why.  There's no reason to have a bounty put up, isn't as if Vallaki's finest are made of golden coins."
"I appreciate your cooperation, may it be rewarded in mercy from the Lieutenant."
"I didn't really come here expecting any. Even if I didn't kill any of those fifty men."
"What did you come here expecting?"
"To die."
"Iadul...I would hope nu."
"Then I'm bound to be pleasantly surprised?"
"Held for questioning, is nu usually a death sentence, as long as you cooperate.  If you had nothing to do with the assaults and murders, then why would you die for that crime?"
"As he said, his men want blood. I'm sure Senies' is preferred but I'm here now."
"I cannot think you would be killed for the sake of morale."
"I think this is all past wrong or right..."
"It should never be beyond wrong or right..."
"Fifty is a lot of men, regardless, were you me, would you keep your expectations high? does that seem....logical?"
"Nu...I suppose in your place I would nu be having much hope."
"And I don't, which is about the same as saying, I've nothing at all."
"But I believe in justice, and it is nu justice to punish some one nu responsible for the crime but I am nu so naive to not know unjust things happen all the time in the name of justice."
"I've lived long enough to not be naive about that either, da."
"Well, if I am asked, I will speak on the side of justice, and not mob rule."
"Multumesc."
"All I asked is share whatever you may know to help us bring down Senies and his necromancer."
"I did."
"And...you are still here?"
"Of course I am."
"Da. More of a rhetorical question.  Iadul Veltis..."

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 04:11:25 AM »

"You are understanding what the alternative could have been, Da? I warned you those creatures cannot be trusted. They are born of cursed wombs and lead cursed lives."
"He's surely cursed now, yes."

"I want you to remember who risked his neck to grant you mercy."
"I'm not likely to ever forget."

"When this is all said and done. When you are living in what ever forsaken land you choose to inhabit...you will not forget me."

"This will make you stronger, little fey. Da? Endure. Pain is temporary. A cursed soul is eternal.  Let's go."

-------------------------------

"I'll be blunt miss...I really don't know any other way to be.  They're talking about executing you."

"Senies and his witch killed more than fifty men. We can't just ignore that and the Count is furious."
"So I had heard sir."
"They want to see blood. To hurt Senies for what he did...if they think you're important to him? They'll kill you on principle."

"...And this place filled with screams and blood."
"I noticed there's still screaming and blood here, I think the stones are held in place with all the blood. And your men? Want more."
"Yes...I think so too. They weren't here. They didn't see."
"Nor was I, but Senies isn't here...and I am.  I am not naive about this situation."
"I know but they're short sighted...or...just petty..."
"As you said, they value the simple solutions."
"Yes."

----------------------

"I need to know if I should hate you or not."
"I think that's for you to decide sir. I think plenty of your men will gladly settle for hating what they think I am, you don't have to go any deeper to be justified?"
"I'm not the kind of man who thrives on hate.  If you're fueled by hate...it's dangerous."
"It is another weakness, as so many emotions end up being dangerous yes."
"But I was there, I remember the screams of our men dying...good men Doamna Jinx, just wanting to feed their families..they...they did nu sign up to be butchered by monsters and witches...I cannot stop thinking about it."
"Well if you think my screaming and blood brings them back? I expect it will be a fine dinner you're having."
"Nu...your blood won't bring back our men...I know that..but there's going to be many that don't feel the way I do."
"They know it too, your breathing men, but it doesn't matter to them, no sir."
"It's going to help them sleep, knowing that there is some one to blame...some one to hold accountable...I...I don't want a person's death to help me sleep Doamna Jinx."
------------------------------------------

"Are you scared, little fey?"
"Of course...very."
"You should be, it won't be pleasant."

"Have any of my men hurt you?"
"Nu domn, one even said you'd given orders I wasn't to be harmed. Perhaps that's why I'm still breathing? Some might not know when to stop."
"Sometimes people die in these cells. From accidents."
"I've no doubt, things do happen."

----------------------

"what is going on in that fey mind of yours eh?"
"Many thoughts sir, questions. If I wanted to know the answers, I might even ask one or two...but I really don't."
"Da, but it'll be over eventually. You will live."

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2012, 02:11:12 AM »

"I uh...maybe not a good idea should be here, but...thought it...maybe, to answer feelings, images, things happening, not good really, is it? You being here and well...mmm...Skies burning, not...really places to go, risky, but...life is a risk, un...life in this matter, guess she would know, we all know."

"If I don't count the garda...and I don't, you're the first has visited here...how'd you know?"
"Y...yes, that's...something I've felt before, it's...odd, isn't it."
"It is yes."
"Know things...well, I uh...see...and hear things and, well, uh others c-can't see, I can see. There are these...images, sensations, it's...m-maybe akin to Vistani, but I don't really know any Vistani."
"They have it but they don't own it? What do you see?"
"H-here because...blood wanted it, I try to listen to whispers...but, hard to...be selective."
"Selective...prudence or personal, taste? Or can't stop hearing whispers? Pick one out above the others?"
"All...of those reasons I think.  You're Jinx, and...you're alone."
"I am...yes. Seems so. you might not be here..."
"I am here."
"I didn't expect anyone to visit, whether you're here or not, thank you."

"You are...familiar to me, must be...from dreams, whispers, and such, it...makes me...warmer, right now.  Why...why are you in here?"
"Association with Senies, It's known I've been around him for some months...but recently something happened, now he's wanted, by Him."
"May I come in?"
"This isn't my cell, you're able, but also welcome yes."
"It would be rude of me to invade your space. I...Larger than a coffin at least."
"A box is a box is a box eh?"
"Some boxes are better than others ita?"
"They all share the same qualities, those of keeping, but yes, some are better than others."
"I don't...well, say it anyway, probably uh, well...might mean something, that...there's this sensation of 'I told you so' and uh it changes, empathy swirls and she's...sorry and...'not alone' uh yes, 'you're not alone', and that she's with you and...yes, forgive me, pointless, as I said."

"It's hard to make an example of a corpse, though I've seen men give it their best in the past."
"S-sorry miss Jinx, I'm not very good at...fighting."
"It's quite alright, neither am I.  Who wants to waste precious blood by spilling it fighting eh? Not I.  I don't forget much, even when it no longer applies, perhaps that's to my own detriment."
"I'm...sorry I can't help more than...food and...s-stupid conversation, not helpful, I know, I uh, well, could...do more but...consequences worse, maybe worse, likely, uh, nevermind.  If you...cooperate, maybe life...easier."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:11:48 AM by Vespertilio »

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 01:54:09 AM »

"How are you sleeping?"
"I don't...and very little rest to be had."
"You should try, doamna it will do you no good otherwise."
"I do, yes sir, try."
"You'll need your strength."
"Yes...took a lot of that just to walk here."
"Whatever they do to you. It's going to be something brutal."
"And how are you sleeping sir? Any better knowing I'm here and what's going to happen to me?"
"No...I take no pleasure in this. Your pain and blood isn't going to bring our men back but the city hungers for it. The lieutenant needs to give them something."
"I'd often said it rains blood in Barovia...that the cobbles of the streets were held together with it...grey city indeed, I know it's a red one."
"Makes you wonder doesn't it. A monster did this to us, and now the monsters out there want blood in exchange. It never ends. Monsters everywhere."
"he wasn't a monster...till he was made one...I didn't come here to be made one either but it seems there are...expectations, it helps justify the perceived justice?"
"It's not justice, it's vengeance. Since I joined the guard I've seen the two confused often."
"Have you decided whether to hate me or not yet?"
"I want to hate you, it would make this easier. But I'm not like them."
"It would make it easier yes, having a lot of time to think I realize it isn't that much different from where I'm sitting now. I'm not like that either though, don't want to be. I've wanted revenge, had something close enough to it to know, it doesn't change the past and...it isn't as satisfying as the rumors make it out to be."
"That's why the beast was here in the first place, revenge. Now we take our revenge. Where does it stop? My father told me once that an eye for an eye leaves the whole blind."
"I'm inclined to think your father is a very astute and correct man."
"But if you call the removal of an eye justice, then suddenly it's acceptable. I'm not sure I agree with that."
"I don't agree, I know I don't."
"I will do what I have to do. Maybe one day we will have justice, but that day isn't today I fear. Your associates have made us do this, I think that makes me hate them even more."
"Made you? There's always a choice, even if they are between poor and worse....I suppose I considered a bounty worse."
"When you serve a town and your superiors you don't always have a choice."
"Things are a lot simpler that way, I have some idea, I used to be militia, and killing wasn't even something one had to think about, duty was a reaction."
"I need to prepare some things, try to get some sleep."
"Da...domn"
"It won't be long now."

---------------------------------------------

"Fey, it's that time."
"And what ever it is, you'll be doing it?"
"Making a show so our people will be satisfied. You are understanding I am needing to do that da?"
"As you say sir."
"Let's get this going then."