You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Warning: RANT about the Server, Quests, DM's  (Read 7743 times)

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
Re: Warning: RANT about the Server, Quests, DM's
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 09:41:21 AM »
Perception is the key here.  If you spend your time on the server looking for flaws, you will find them.  It's still a beta, and the devs freely admit it's a work in progress, only it's one we get to enjoy as they work on it.
I hope I won't face charges of forum necromancy for this, but I just thought I'd mirror this statement.  Perception is indeed the key to one's enjoyment of the game, the server and the game world.

And the other side of the coin is that positive expectations tend to yield positive results.  Sometimes, you just feel like gathering a few friends and, say, raiding the beetle hive.  Need a reason to raid the beetle hive?  RP it out.  Jam, improvise, toss in the odd hearsay or half-truth or lie if it serves your character's agenda.  "The beetles are getting restless again."  "Da, the hive must be overcrowded from their ceaseless breeding.  It makes them more aggressive."  "I saw a pack of beetles take down a deer three days ago.  How long before they start prowling the roads for horses and travellers...?"

The RP can continue throughout the raid, of course, perhaps even linking the party to their next course of action if the players are open to subtle in-character suggestions.  "What is this?  The hive mothers have gathered refuse from the cemetery?  Perhaps we can ask the Morninglord's faithful for answers, though they may ask a service from us first...."

It sounds like the OP just teamed with some people who weren't very receptive to the idea of making their own adventures, but some people--like Lockleed, Koopa and myself--are.  Heck, when I was running my pan-World of Darkness campaign for about four or five years back in the late 90's and early 2000's, half of the missions and adventures which the two parties went on came up because some player and his or her character dredged up some sneaking suspicion, and I picked it up and ran with it.  "There is only one faction on Earth where these Pentex rejects could have acquired a mutagen this advanced: the Progenitors.  We're going back to Alpha Compound, boys and girls."  *Wids watches the players deliberate among themselves, wonders how the hell they thought of that when mutagens and Pentex's mutated goons weren't even remotely central to the plot, thinks for a moment, grabs the copy of Convention Book: Progenitors and starts writing down notes....*  ;)

That might be more akin to Helaman's suggestion of handing requests to the DM's, though.  I wonder if there's any way for the NWN engine to support an Anarchy-Online-like do-it-yourself adventure matrix.  Type of mission: Retrieval, Mission Level: 4-6, Number of monsters: Medium, Number of traps: High, and so forth.  :?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:48:03 AM by Wids »

Lyrithean

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
GAH.. I saw this earlier this morning and was like WTF Moustakas.. then I saw that someone had ressurected a 3 month old thread... so burn burn!!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
GAH.. I saw this earlier this morning and was like WTF Moustakas.. then I saw that someone had ressurected a 3 month old thread... so burn burn!!

Sometimes new people find old threads.......

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »
Yep yep yep!   8)

*dons the asbestos*

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 07:00:32 AM »
To say my precise opinion, macabre and shadowspawn picked up my post, put me in so many quests I can't be bothered to name, that I no longer feel what I said counts. Getting skill focus open lock also helped :D

I won't say thanks again guys cause if you say it too many times it's boring
Has been described as a sometimey player