Author Topic: Warning: RANT about the Server, Quests, DM's  (Read 7737 times)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
Warning: RANT about the Server, Quests, DM's
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:04:40 AM »
After being on this server for four months now everyday for hours(my first and only server actually)
and being a pen and paper dungeon master for a full sixteen years,
reading and participating in the forums,
I have come to the conclusion of what is wrong with it.

- I would appreciate it if it wasn't moved to the private council/dev forums. I want to see if people agree with me. -

It all started when yesterday I managed to convince NINE (9) people, out of an available 16 at that precise moment in the server to go for a trip at the Ghakis. There wasn't a dm available. To gather them I actually lied a dm would be (I am sorry for that and everybody is free to flame me via pm). We still had our fun, killed them cultists and looted their chests for a whooping 480 gold (which I think is amazing if the dragon totals 500 :pPPpPPp). But you know what? Half the people left with a bitter taste in their mouth. ALL the people won't probably go in a similar expedition again. Heck, even I wouldn't and I initiated the whole dam thing. Most of us would rather take a friend or two and go farming in barovia. See where this leads? To developers nerfing the gold to discourage farmers, to spawn always being low cause people don't have much do to etc. I have NOTHING against staying at an inn and rping all night and day. But there is also IRC for that you know. I am here because I want to be a hero! Dead hero even. Not trying to *pull* lasses at the rest. And elven ones at that too lol *by the way, I enjoy the hin version of jerry springer as much as the next guy, thank you lot - sammie dribo rell*

Our brilliant world (no irony whatsoever, I believe it totally) is designed with DM SUPERVISION in mind.
For a good dungeon run, decent loot, ultra spawn and wonderful monsters, you NEED a DM with TIME AVAILABLE.
It can't be done without one. People will respond 'well go ahead, be a dm and make this world a better place' I DON'T WANT TO

Even better, we need dm's to run QUESTS. The typical adventure for a pen and paper session is "While you are sitting at the inn, you see this man come in and say: Hey, I am travelling there, need bodyguards". Or "There is a sign at the inn that says, 'They kidnapped the major's daughter, let's go save her'". I have seen quests run here, I have been lucky enough to be part of two and a half. All of them starting with Lizuca calling for aid. I don't know about you guys, but IT WAS THE BESTEST THING IN THE GAME WORLD.

Quests, please. No events, no plots. They are not that important. Quests. I would rather go again and again for a 'recover the relic the vampires stole a month ago and the previous party failed' than sit around trying to figure something interesting to say in the inn or go in a dungeon and have people go "[points] FARMER BOOO" If we have more quests, nobody will complain about crap treasure because everyone will be getting brilliant loot and usefull items that the dm's will hand out after seeing classes and feats and needs of their players. Nobody will complain about low spawn because those lycan lords will be rending flesh in a dungeon near you. We won't even be bothering about why all the antagonisers ALWAYS DO THEIR STUFF IN FRONT OF THE BLOOMY TEMPLE and if area transitions are legal.

Just like good old pen and paper.

Now, DMs are people. THey are not our servants and are doing this from the good (or terrible evil if you ask me you sadists) of their heart.
Most people wanna play and not DM. I understand and feel them, seeing as how I ended in the mists trying to escape my p&p group because I don't want to DM. If in the end, if my arguments about a DM-run world stand and we find that there is no good and proper and easy way to get a good DM to player ratio (which in my mind is 1:3 for pen and paper and, I don't know, 1:6 for a computer game?), we REALLY need to change how the SETTING is going to operate.

Static quests have been suggested. Minks and rats are there, but we could use something more developed.

Thanks for reading
Has been described as a sometimey player

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Warning: RANT about the Server, Quests, DM's
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:26:57 AM »
Just to make it perfectly clear. The developers didn't "nerf the loot" to prevent farming - the current situation is much caused by an error that has been fixed, but now require rebalancing of our setup. However, due to the massive and overwhelming ranting about this issue, it hasn't been possible to sensibly deal with the issue or give it priority, much less feel motivated to.

As for the rest - well - I can agree that we lack more on-going purpose, but everyone has their own idea of what that implies and a lot of ideas contradict eachother and move in exactly opposite directions. We are constantly working on solutions that will satisfy most and still remain true to our core principles, but everything takes time, and ranting about it makes it take much longer.

tzaeru

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
I agree 'n' disagree.  :P

More DM activity would be well appreciated.
But quests are.. Boring! - I mean, I've played this silly game since the expansions were out. 2003 or so. 5 years of NWN and almost every sort of a quest there is, has been done. Thrice. At least.

DM creating monsters and loot to a dungeon run? I'm sure some people appreciate the challenge, the reward, the dynamic venture - but in da persona, I've had the best time when walking the night, road between Barovia and Vallaki, seldom DM emoting gloomy, yellow pair of eyes in the dark. Wind blowing the grass horizontal. The characters considering over what they just saw (was the monster DM controlled or not) and seeking comfort from each others faked bravery.

And of course helping the characters create their own stories.

EDIT: The point just is.. That I don't wanna fight monsters or gain any cool items. That's all seen and experienced stuff - I just want to feel scared.. Feel the Ravenloft every now and then by help of DMs describing and possessing the surrounding environment. Doesn't need items, quests or special monsters.  ;)

EDIT 2: Save the lack of activity.. Rather good work. Just so that DMs don't feel unappreciated. ^^
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:49:12 PM by tzaeru »

Knight's Sword

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:43 AM »
I love DM involvement as much as the next person, I wish I had more, but what can you do.

DMs get buzy, buzy -for- us, true it gets irritating when you miss out but you gotta keep your chin up.

As for the gold. I don't mind really, I like the low gold spawn >.> Makes it seem like its worth more
Grayson Astavich - Warrior of the Innocent.

'Real men needn't speak, their stories are told by the scars on their bodies'

PinkTarantula

• Undead Master
  • Epic Skill Focus : Haiku
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »
I want to see if people agree with me.
Sure, I'll say my fill, and try and keep it as objective as possible.

For a good dungeon run, decent loot, ultra spawn and wonderful monsters, you NEED a DM with TIME AVAILABLE.
From what I understood, this has never been this case, not was it ever intended to be the case.  Even now, with the current loot situation -- as Soren referred to it as -- you can find loot.  Maybe it's not amazing, but it beats the stuff you'll find at Murnu's.  Once in a lifetime, you'll even get lucky and hit the good stuff.  The bottom line is, if they're already working on it, it's just something we have to deal with.  Tweaking takes time, just bear with it.  On the other hand, I must confess to having had no idea that it was being worked on, until I read Soren's reply.

Even better, we need dm's to run QUESTS. [... ] Quests, please. No events, no plots. They are not that important.
I can't really say I agree with you on this one either, sadly.  Everyone comes from different role-playing backgrounds, and everyone comes here with different goals, hopes and expectations.  Some people prefer the classic, linear quests where you hunt down the bad guy, deliver your just vengence and rescue the damsel in distress.  Others prefer larger plonts and series of tied together events, scheming and intrigue making.  As for myself, I come from a long line of servers with next to no DM coverage.  I've never really needed a DM to make things interesting for my characters, to get them involved in this or that, or just to find them a purpose, something to keep them going.  It's not that I'm dont enjoy myself when I do get pulled into a DM event, it's just that I'm so used to doing it on my own, with just my fellow players, that I don't really miss the DM interaction when I don't have it.

Perhaps static, NPC quests is an idea.  I can see the use for them.  Though personally, I can't stand them.  They make me feel like I'm playing World of Warcraft, all over again.
Blacken and sin, accept and be swept

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »
I've never thought of this as any problem. We've generally a gaggle of DMs who are all (at least all I've dealt with) very superb and they do things of all sorts.

Screaming to high heck for more and for them to do something is a very wrong-minded way to go. DMing is an artform and more importantly, it's ~volunteer~ work. These people are not advancing their own characters because they decided to instead do things as a service they do not gain anything from. Thank them, don't yell at them.

And besides, your premise is fairly wrong-minded that this is the way to solve anything. DMs are a fairly random human-element unless you want to pay them. Increased DM activity (which is fairly active as it is in my opinion) might liven up a stretch of time in peak hours, but what about the rest of the time? You surely aren't going to ever be able to staff DMs online at all hours and there is quite a bit who play on non-peak hours. If you employ some sort of heavy DM philosophy, you're still going to end up where long stretches of your uptime where the server is still "broken" by your standard because they are unDM'd.
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

deDani

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »
I came along to Ghakis with Grim. I already knew no DM was coming. But I must say I had fun with most of you, it wasn't an epic venture but who cares. It was just a short expedition to Ghakis, and we didn't even got to the top, alot more to see there. Most characters that went along were really that, a character, and I enjoyed that.
Why was there a DM needed? You made Kal come up with a plan to attack under the cover of darkness, no scripts in place to give us any advantage attackinf during nighttime. I had Grim rushing towards a campfire and urging the firestarter to put out the campfire in case the other cultists saw the fire, no scripts in place to let npcs run towards us from another area when we light a fire. The warrior from icewind dale watched our rear as we retreated to the abonded mine to forge a new plan, and he kept watch outside in the blistering cold, again no script in place to let the cultists track us down and attack as we rest up. We didn't walked on the bridges with too many people, no scripts to make the ropes snap. Those were all our contributions to the 'story' and we didn't have a DM.

Player can too add to the atmoshpere. Also there's more to encounters between players then superficial roleplay. Grim for one now has an interest in "Kal" which I made clear in subtle emotes because of his muttering about 'the Shadow'. All in all I had fun, met atleast 2 people with whom I'd like to interact further and I'm sorry if you, and maybe all the others left disappointed.

As for quests; The only good quests are those that turn into plots, the worst are static quests in computer games.
Characters:
Derewulf Manchkass
Grim - A true Liar always tells the truth

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:23 AM »
After being on this server for four months now everyday for hours(my first and only server actually)
and being a pen and paper dungeon master for a full sixteen years,
reading and participating in the forums,
I have come to the conclusion of what is wrong with it.

There is the flaw in your argument right there, you mean what is wrong for you. I really see nothing good coming of this thread except making people that work for free feel bad and unappreciated. We all have things we'd like  to change to make the server perfect for ourselves but that's pretty darn selfish. Look at the player numbers, pretty high, maybe they are doing something right ? Yes dms can make things more interesting, but so can players. I've played here almost a year now an until recently have functioned without any dm involvement. I was not in a dm event until I made my ezrite. What did I do ? I followed my characters goals and objectives and worked with what I had. I somehow managed to keep myself constantly busy, met most of the player base and had so many things to work on it made my head spin. There are a handful of players here that are proactive and function as mini dm's. They come up with stories , plots and schemes that pull in other players and effect a large number of people on the server. And I am not talking about the mass murder types, or the people who haunt the outskirts looking for easy kills. Instead of complaining about how the server is failing you, I challenge you to be proactive an see what you can do to make it more interesting for your fellow players with the tools you have. You will find you get dm involvement indirectly as players ask for information, to talk or interact with certain npcs or to get items and more. Ask not what your server can do for you, but rather what you can do for your server.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
I'm getting ready for work, so I'll read the thread more closley later in the day.  However, I would like to share a concern with players.  This isn't just in response to this thread, but to attitudes in the forum in general.  I understand that ooc frustration can be tiresome, when things are not the way you feel they ought to be.  But rants tend to only shot yourself in the foot, so to speak.  Try to share feedback framed in positive language, or in the least neutral language.  Leave out sarcasam, leave out a tone that your perception is the end-all-be-all as well.  Simply put, when providing feedback towards players, dungeon masters, or developers, always keep in mind, especially with the development and dm team, that they are volunteers and provide a necessary free service to the module and game experience for players. 

So feedback, sharing your thoughts and so forth, is always, and I mean always encouraged and welcomed.  However, do yourself and the community a service, and frame your thoughts clearly, precisely, without the emotional junk that only distracts readers on both a mental and emotional level.  It can even be draining, especially it seems on a Developer, to the point where they may just stop paying attention to those threads that continue to wallow in such emotions.

It is always in your best interest, and in the best interest of the Dev and Dm Team, to be mindful of their perspective.

If you are constructively and respectfully giving feedback though, and you don't feel you the Dev Team or Dm Team is getting back to you with their own feedback, then use proper channels, and reach out to one of your representatives, who have been voted by players to represent you.  They will then make it a point to work on your behalf.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
It's easier for DM's to issue quests and plots through factions, targeting a bunch of players, rather than try to reach every character on their own. You might not be seeing DM's or these quests if you are not in a faction, but that doesn't mean they aren't happening. Aside from that, DM's are not needed for the majority of time spent in game. Here's a question for you, OP. Have you ever PM'd a DM, or tried arranging a quest, or have you just been hoping that a DM would be on and issue you a quest? They are very friendly folks and there are those that may be interested in your ideas and arranging a nice saturday afternoon.

I agree about the loot tables. scrags, demonologists, and ice palace have to date never produced a single item I'd call high quality. You don't go to any of those places for the loot.

failed.bard

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »
I'm going to put someting into this topic before I head to bed.  If the structures off, or it's generally incoherent, it's due to tiredness.

Personally, I think I've only be involved in one larger DM plot (the storybook murders, parts 2 and 3, wonderfully done), and a half dozen smaller ones.  I've had Corvus, EO and Dark Fey all do some wonderful work possessing NPCs or monsters.  Since I'm on at an oddball time due to my shift, not really North american or Euro time, really, Dribo has developed almost entirely through interaction with other PCs.  If it wasn't for Corvus and his zombie cat emotionally scarring her for life, it would have been all due to PC interaction.
  Even the class progression she went through was due to other PCs.  She took sorcorer levels initially (and true strike) entirely for the reason of showing up Helaman's John Umpton.  She still occasionally harasses him about the time she got him to pay her a hundred fangs to stab him.
  Interaction with other characters, even just her skewed interpretations of what other people said, lead to changes in the way she perceived the world, and in turn how she reacted to it.

Perception is the key here.  If you spend your time on the server looking for flaws, you will find them.  It's still a beta, and the devs freely admit it's a work in progress, only it's one we get to enjoy as they work on it.

There was more that I had wanted to say, but I'm too tired it put it in words right now.  I think the point I was trying to make is that, DM interaction is a bonus, not a requisite, and characters can do things just fine without someone watching them constantly.

- carrion -

• PotM Elder Thing
  • Dark Power
  • Waiting ... dreaming ...
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »
Uh-huh ... well, I've played on this server since it's humble beginnings and personaly
I can't agree with anything  of what was stated in the first post, sorry.
Yeah, I experienced times of great and even enormous DM support / interaction,
then again months passed without any relevant plotline at all.
Therefore I really have to agree with both Taty and failed.bard ...

Perception is the key here. 

This is actualy the key to both your own enjoyment as well to that of those players
surrounding you, interacting with both the setting / server as well as with your PC.

And just in case you've seen everything  on the server after four months - well,
I hardly can believe that.

The key to success (whatever that means for the individual) and a happy 'existence'
in the setting PotM stands for is a different one for every one of us. But at least for me
it isn't defined by dungeon crawls, loot (or the lack thereof) or some sort of forced DM
encounter / supervision. It is a goal reached by telling a story, the one of the character
I'm most enjoying at that very moment, and that story can involve none or all of the above,
but it never has to.

Addendum:

From a moderators standpoint I'd like to urge people to avoid this very kind of insulting
posts, I don't know if it was intended to sound the way it does, but it sure doesn't come
across as either very nice nor very constructive. Labeling it as a rant doesn't help either,
except to stir up other people.
Thank you kindly.

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
Speaking on behalf of myself as a DM on the team. I try to have at least one mini event per week for my faction, this is not including the other adhoc 'love' I give them through multiple on the fly events. I by no means only focus on my faction members but I do tend to gravitate to them before other characters. I'm unsure of which timezone you play in but I do know that I see a lot of DM interaction from all of the DM's in many ways. Some are large events and some are as small as Inferno playing a badger thrown into a room with Finn at a players request.

This rant reminds me of a post from a few weeks or so ago about the server dieing. I as a DM and a player do not see this occurring at all. The difference is all of my characters belong to factions and have goals that do not necessitate DM involvement. I do not require as a player DM attention but by being in a faction it occurs sometimes when least expected. DM's can make an environment for players but the opposite is also true that players can make the environment for the DM's whom are their to support the players.

The complaint about loot is, as Soren has noted, already being worked on and I've noticed a marked improvement in the last week as well as increased stability of the server. I give a thumbs up to the Dev's for the work they do and I for one am glad they volunteer their time to do it as much as I appreciate the work the DM's do to add to the environmment of the server.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »
*Reply available via PM if interested.*

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 03:11:20 PM »
First of all I would like to thank everyone for their responses.
Unfortunately from they way  the majority responded, I have failed - miserably - to bring my point across.
My mistake.

This post isn't a bash to the stuff, who's work is deeply appreciated. It certainly wasn't meant as a follow up to that topic about the server dying. Labeling it as a rant was another mistake, as it has obviously given the wrong impression. I really like this server. As I have mentioned, it is the only one I ever played, the only on-line game I played. I shall be a lot more careful about what and how I post it the future.

I apologize for any hard feelings or discomfort my post caused and would request it locked/removed.
Has been described as a sometimey player

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »
Perhaps try making suggestions. The one about quests is noted. Most plots have quests intertwined with them.

IMHO Ravenloft is not all about getting a group of players to suddenly go to X slay Y and be granted Z item of uberness of PnP world. It's about tension, Gothic themed horror, and specifically roleplay.

Antagonizers are drawn to areas where there are people to antagonize hence they go to the Outskirts in front of the temple.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
Nicely reacted to K_moustakas.   :)

And I also want to tell you that some of the responses to your post wasn't just in response to this thread.  This thread started in a context or related to a trend in which it seems to some that the forum is degenerating into rants, insults, subtle jabs, that has just created a bad vibe. 

So no hard feelings what so ever.  If you have any specific issues or things you'd still like to talk about, by all means.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
Its been suggested many times that faction is where action is at and i beg to sorely differ. After being part of three factions for a long time, the most action ive seen is the one i created for myself with other players.

Yes there is a LOT of roleplay possibilities when faction interaction comes together and i remember fondly the guard faction in Jerovich era interacting with the Vardo and how dynamic the server was, a well oiled machine until DM nigh OOC intervention (the namely Dagris's surprise return) took control again and the guard faction suffered sorely from it, most guards stopped playing for weeks because of the disappointment and the lack of reward in their efforts in making the faction alive.

Same for the Vardo, as Cherry and Jimmy and Julia held reign, there was a lot of things going on, but suddenly we were leashed and got ordered to not do anything until told so from the boss. And we ended up doing nothing, -at all-.

Faction DMs are great to help out PCs to make come true their events and ideas and i've always respected the people that gave their time to the players. But when the players lose what little control they have over their actions then the interaction changes gear and stalls for months on meanwhile the DM that before gave his time generously becomes busy with IRL (which is in no way a bad thing, we all have lives to live). I for one would like to see factions more PC handled, because it works, because it makes the server alive, it's a proven fact. I see the guard faction being alive these days and it makes me happy, because they have an active DM it works of course but as soon as something comes up IRL, the faction will go dormant again, that is why more power should be given to PCs to make decision.

Now before anyone mentions that DMs are people and have lives too, read carefully my post. There is nothing wrong with how the system is designed IF there is DM support, which is never a sure thing BECAUSE the DMs are people and have lives. Hence the need for a more PC handling of faction, spread the power, spread the possibilities and the DM becomes a well welcome support to our efforts. Its not about being thankless and unappreciative, but i would like to see the effort given being used in the best way possible.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 04:10:12 PM »
I believe it's been stated already, not sure where, that the move was already in place to make factions as pc directed as possible, with dm intervention when necessary. 

The suggestion made by Shadymerchant to get involved in factions, is a good one, based on his experience.  Some factions are better than others if you're looking for more involvment in on going plots.  The point of this thread though wasn't to discuss factions, so much as some players wanted to offer some helpful suggestions to players wanting more involvment.   

If the topic of factions is something wanting discussion, by all means, but how about in a thread dedicated to faction discussion, instead of a thread in which players are trying to make helpful suggestions so that someone might get more out of their gaming experience.   :mrgreen:

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »
I find that as with most things in life, it comes down to tastes. I know for some, Online RPGs are the World of Warcraft quest fest and others it is like an interactive book. I love DM interaction, and it is the small things that do add to keeping a world feeling alive. It is also understood that there are times when none will be on. I am of the interactive book genre of gamer. I am her for the stories that ramdomly spiral from interaction with other PCs. If I get caught up in a DMed event, or plot, WOO HOO!! but if not, I know I will have fun things to do as I interact with others. If I had any issue with a part of Online RPGs it is the neccessity to mindlessly crunch monsters to:
A. Gain XP
B. Make Money

One of PotM features I love most, is the XP reward for Role playing. It allows for some advancement for playing your character. RP in my mind makes the world. DMs, and fancy scripts are great, but without good players, it is not enough alone to keep it a float. PotM has all the elements for a successful server, and I have enjoyed myslef greatly.

Thank you to Creators, Builders, DMs and Players for making this a grand experience.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:14:06 PM by LawfulJoe »

mayvind

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »
I have experience with Faction run, been factions leader in other server for years, the Wheel of Time server that i used to play were given power to command theirs own faction by faction leader. DM to those faction are more like guildance and help spice things up or intervention if faction war get out of hand.

within the faction there is Rank. I play darkfriend and was dreadlord, highest ranking and have the right to promote faction members due to theirs IC performence. Each faction have leader who have access to factions gear which is unique and the more higher in the rank so is the faction item power. Players interraction and conflict made it one of the most interesting server i have played, but the dark and evil of ravenloft suit me more and also Talek and Darkfey's dming skill that made me play here back then, leaving my faction :P

But it would be nice to see something close to player run faction here, and also less by the book theme.  Player have more control of the changes in the server brach out from the REAL ravenloft.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »
Best way you can get involvement in the module is to create and share with players.  You don't have to be a DM to create and share, since every character has the potential to entertain others, whether it be antagonist or protagonist.  We've had many beloved good characters and evil ones, and everyone found aspects to them that attracted them through interactions and even listening to stories from others.

My best advice for players that aren't in a faction and don't want to join one:  Do your own gig.  Find a goal your characters wishes to achieve and pull others into it.  The Broken Bell and Blue Water Inn have both numerously been used for PC creations, from Cornelius and Tatyana, to LeBarthe and Co.  The old-school remember "The Knaves", who were composed of PCs.  Completely fair and awesome, and then even the Drow family Kor'Ali that forever impacted the outlook of their kind to Barovia.

Some people have told me that they think that Player-made factions/groups are going to get shot down by DMs, but I honestly say go for it.  Running your own thing (especially when you're ambitious about what to do with it) will always be as fun (or even more fun) as being in a Faction.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
Unfortunately from they way  the majority responded, I have failed - miserably - to bring my point across.
My mistake.

This post isn't a bash to the stuff, who's work is deeply appreciated. It certainly wasn't meant as a follow up to that topic about the server dying. Labeling it as a rant was another mistake, as it has obviously given the wrong impression. I really like this server. As I have mentioned, it is the only one I ever played, the only on-line game I played. I shall be a lot more careful about what and how I post it the future.

I apologize for any hard feelings or discomfort my post caused and would request it locked/removed.

I think I understand what you're saying.  To me, it seems you aren't looking for quests, but direction.  That's just my first reaction and I'll think about this a bit more later.

However, I do want to caution some of our "native English speakers here".  Please have a little consideration and understanding for those who's first language is not English.  Sometimes, something comes across as unflattering or just bitching, and the truth is, the player is trying to express themselves, as best they could, in a language that is not their own. 

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 10:04:33 PM »
I mainly play in what I call "The Dead Zone" - the period in Eurotime that sees a GM one night in three approximately. Okrais Rage is generally on in the same time slot as me...

D what I did - You adapt and overcome.

Me? I sent the DMs I noticed in the time slot and asked for some IG time and gave them a ROUGH outline of what I was looking for (GMs work best with a relatively blank canvas) and worked according to their time. Special thanks to DM Knas who has really helped with Yoshinaka - He's given a lot of time to help with PC development... but it wasnt on my schedule but on his - he's had a lot of real life stuff that is more important than IG stuff, work, personal stuff and computer issues. The key is patience and a heart felt thank you when you do get some time.

Along the way DM Ravenous was totally cool as well and DM Nightmare has gone the extra mile too. Shadowspawn continues to impress and I'm glad to see DM Doom making a comeback. Inferno has a wicked sense of humour and is also a good DM to work with. DM EO (for all the stick he gets) is recieptive to requests if approached, and DarkWyvern has gone above and beyond to. In short, the DM team are generally pretty good - the problem is actually getting them at the right time.

In short, work with the DM team on those occassions you are available - sometimes even just a "Hiya, sup?" tell over the DM Channel to talk about non game issues is appreciated. If you hit the DM channel and get an answer and the DM says "not today" or "Busy" just a "No Problems, catch ya next time - have fun" is a cool response, with maybe an inquiry on when next they'll have some time and do they mind if you PM them some ideas or something you are working with.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 10:54:04 PM »
My mistake.

I said I'd think about this and come back with an answer. 

Here's how I see it from my perspective:  You've been here 4 months.  You've probably hit most of the major areas multiple times.  You've reached the point where you wonder what this is all about.  Where is your character going?  That's where the tough part comes in.

The conventional wisdom says you join a faction.  IMO, unless a faction has a heavily involved DM, the only thing a faction is going to give you is some sense of identity.  You may get a new outfit and jazzed up equipment, but after the initial "wow", you're still going to wonder where this is all going. 

At this point, no denying it, some players leave.  They become a very pleasant memory and that's the last you ever see of them.  Others, OTOH, step back and take a look at their char and see they have to make some decisions. 

If you decide to stay, you have to decide where life in Barovia is going to take you.  What do you want to be?  Where do you want to go?

No one can answer that except you.  You have to look inside your character and decide what motivates you and what is it that makes your char who they are.  And then go with it.

There's no denying this is not an adventurer's server although there is adventure to be had.  Sometimes this server resembles a giant chat room with conversations going on all over the place.  That gives you a chance to develop relationships beyond just adventure mates.  Just like in RL, those relationships can give you a lot of laughs, a little bit of anxiety, and  hopefully some fulfillment and some fun. 

It's tough to define what makes this server what it is.  It's a wide open world where you have the opportunity to put your stamp on it.  It is vague, and I believe deliberately so because that leaves the possibililties as being endless. 

I hope this helps. 

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz