You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Platinum / Magic Weapons  (Read 17685 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Platinum / Magic Weapons
« on: April 12, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »
I've heard a rumor this is now possible to make a +1 on a weapon using platinum. I've seen at least one keen -5 axe (usually denoting a player crafted object) with a +1 on it, and 2 extra slashing.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
Re: Platinum / Magic Weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:13:15 AM »
Trust me... didnt work

Tried 2 days ago

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
Trust me... didnt work

Tried 2 days ago

They claimed it was something to do w/ the cold forge. I dunno.

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 01:45:49 AM »
I tried in cold forge. Didn't work with any of the smithing hammer, bellows or guilding pliers.

Thanks DW!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 05:15:06 AM »
*longs for balanced crafting*  I don't like that idea.  It may be the Platinum thing though that's bugging me about it since I know real world metallurgy and it could be an obsessive compulsive thing but simply put, the ONLY people that should be able to take a weapon beyond "masterwork", are Casters.  That's pretty much the way it works in the DnD system though I suppose there are ways you could justify a sort of "Book of Swords" kind of feel to it for certain directions and near Epic levels of skill.  That's more Divine Inspiration though.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:49:30 AM »
I've heard a rumor this is now possible to make a +1 on a weapon using platinum. I've seen at least one keen -5 axe (usually denoting a player crafted object) with a +1 on it, and 2 extra slashing.

So what was it's name? Just because something has negative keen on it doesn't mean it's crafted. There's plenty of negative keen items about in the loot matrix I've found and seen myself.

If such a weapon *does* exist, it's built wrong. A +1 enhancement bonused weapon with +2 bonus damage bonus of the same type of the weapon (Ie, a +1 longsword with +2 slashing damage) will have it's bonus damage partially overwritten by the enhancment damage (making it +1 AB, +2 slashing damage).

To build such a weapon correctly, it must be built with AB and Damage boni seperately in the toolset. A longsword with +1 AB and +3 slashing damage.

As far as crafting goes, I'm leery of giving casters any more myself. It's bad enough they already have everything. Great, now let's make them the best crafters too. If anything, it should be opposite... Spent all your time studying books, making masterpieces of swordwork is waaay out of your league.  :P
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 05:53:08 AM »

So what was it's name? Just because something has negative keen on it doesn't mean it's crafted. There's plenty of negative keen items about in the loot matrix I've found and seen myself.

If such a weapon *does* exist, it's built wrong. A +1 enhancement bonused weapon with +2 bonus damage bonus of the same type of the weapon (Ie, a +1 longsword with +2 slashing damage) will have it's bonus damage partially overwritten by the enhancment damage (making it +1 AB, +2 slashing damage).

To build such a weapon correctly, it must be built with AB and Damage boni seperately in the toolset. A longsword with +1 AB and +3 slashing damage.

As far as crafting goes, I'm leery of giving casters any more myself. It's bad enough they already have everything. Great, now let's make them the best crafters too. If anything, it should be opposite... Spent all your time studying books, making masterpieces of swordwork is waaay out of your league.  :P

They don't make the sword (though some do in the literature, most do not)  They simply take the completed Uber Masamura level masterwork Item, and Enchant it.  99 percent of the time it also not only costs them LOTS in components.  It costs them XP to do it as well.

~Rex

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 06:26:36 AM »
Yes, I am aware of how magical items are made.

However, in the mod it will most likely just end up as every wizard mastering smithing and running around in their silly shapechanged forms mining, while they stat buff themselves and smith and powercraft themselves to 50 skill in a week and pump out magical swords for what turns out to them perhaps as a slap on the wrist in terms of xp and components (since they can probably solo it all back easily anyways).

Given the way the crafting system is setup as it is, it's child's play for a wizard, bard, cleric or what have you to make a master craftsman painlessly if they know what they're doing and care to. And that is precisely what would happen with the system as it is currently.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »
Yeah but that's typical of "open" crafting systems as opposed to Linked Systems that require various trades to have to cooperate, while limiting the number of Trades you can actually BE in.  Jack of All Trades Master of none sort of thing.

I agree on the wizard things it's a nasty let down when you finally DO get a nice party together, and you finally get to the dungeon, only to be knocked off the path by some near invisible hasted hamster ball encased Caster zipping past you waving goodbye, and to offer them up something else on the plate as well seems a bit anticlimatic.

Still, if they had other more detailed crafting options, potions, enchanting, etc, wouldn't it spread out their time a bit more into different fields?

Remains to be seen but to be blunt the situation you described will just as easily happen with the current Non Caster crafters, as it would with a Caster.  Just hang around and watch people use Barbarian Rage to beat out a weapon on the Anvil (something that still to this day, make me wonder the real results of blind berserk fury around a lot of hot molten metal) Or monks mining bare handed (so a Troll doesn't strike me as that odd in comparison to what's already going on), or fighters using two Bastard Swords to chop down trees.

Crafting is just messy unless plotted out, regulated, and set up with cooperative overlap anyway.  With or without a caster being able to do it, as much as I dislike casters I still wouldn't take away something that SHOULD be their thing to do (enchanting) simply because the environment is structured to favor them at every other angle.

~Rex

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 07:50:52 AM »
Well.. To put it bluntly, who but a caster should be able to enchant stuff without utterly uber exotic ingredients ala dwarfsmithing Bruenor Battlehammer Drizzit books?

And to answer the statement that casters got everything.. Make one yourself then..
A person capable of blowing a mountain with a few gestures and words is a powerful critter..
Not like in most high magic servers where every caster is close to worthless, where WMs rule supreme unless the caster manages to get ahold of several Int buffing items until they hit the roof of maximum +12 to casting attribute and still every other PC, and NPC, can save against everything a maxed out caster can toss out 90% of the time.. :? :lol:

Sig by Garison

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 07:53:01 AM »
i wouldnt say every wizard out there startsto smith and so on. i can only say for myself, Vino aint gonna touch a smithin hammer or even gonna make bows becouse rp-wisely its not his thing to do, granted it would be extremely easy for him to start craft anyway.

once they add alchemy and enchanting and so on. he will start focusing on those becouse those are more closer to his profession than smithing. when and if enchantin comes in, i would imagine it to be so that we do some arcane thing to the crafted weapons. so vino would have to rely on smith to first make him the weapon which he is going to enchant. i would also like if this would work other way around that int 10 warrior smith wouldnt know how to enchant weapons with arcane stuff
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 05:00:52 PM »
Well.. To put it bluntly, who but a caster should be able to enchant stuff without utterly uber exotic ingredients ala dwarfsmithing Bruenor Battlehammer Drizzit books?

And to answer the statement that casters got everything.. Make one yourself then..
A person capable of blowing a mountain with a few gestures and words is a powerful critter..
Not like in most high magic servers where every caster is close to worthless, where WMs rule supreme unless the caster manages to get ahold of several Int buffing items until they hit the roof of maximum +12 to casting attribute and still every other PC, and NPC, can save against everything a maxed out caster can toss out 90% of the time.. :? :lol:

Well the person that mentioned Casters have everything initially, Has a Caster.

Even in a High Magic Server, Caster Pwn anything melee wise at the top end of the food chain which is pretty much the way it should be.  Give a Caster Time, Give them Choice of When and How, and you will lose.  Period.
Unless you are preemptive about then you end up smashing them like a clay pot.  The other Unless factors in is if the player of the Caster is just a Retardling and let's the melee guy control the scene.  Then they get what they deserve.

Still as for a crafting issue, Caster SHOULD be the end all and be all of enchanting unless you are going to go the Inspiration route with exotics and uber skill just like Battlehammer, which is perfectly legit as well.  I still say that even though I loath casters in general they shouldn't lose something that should be theirs anyway otherwise, even if it is just a minor thing in the bigger scheme, they just end up feeling cheated, like the fighter types do.

~Rex

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
This thread is NOT about comparing classes again, stay on topic!

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
Well, on the topic of crafting +1 weapons out of Platinum, I say that's a wonderful idea.  Platinum's like the rarest thing I've seen in terms of components.

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »

Well the person that mentioned Casters have everything initially, Has a Caster.

Several, actually. Although I can't see how that has anything to do with anything since casters are putting the module on 'piss easy' in terms of difficulty. My cleric, mage and bard kill things at level 6 a level 13 mundane character has fits with and end up leveling in a session if I care to just by killing things way over their level from 'neglecting the path.'

My point is, without any sort of real checks, we're just going to end up with spindly nerd wizards who are master smiths, flooding the server with magical weapons and doodads. Which is a pretty silly thing in a land full of hatred for magic. (Not to mention it probably ensures you'll never find another useful magical weapon in a treasure chest again since crafting systems on servers have ~always~ spell the end of loot tables and the rogue class in my experience.)

Believe me, if the crafting system is abusable, I'll be the first one with my cleric or wizard who mastered smithing in three days or so and will happily be dropping magically crafted whatevers en masse in the outskirts for level 2s just to show how silly it is.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:41:10 PM »
Considering what a crappy metal platinum is as far as durability I'd much rather see mithril or adamantium being introduced for better weapons.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »
agreed

and i heard from somewhere looooong time ago, that platinum in used for enchanting when it comes in. i would think platinum is good for making jewelries

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 03:41:03 AM »
Pretty stuff Yes, Weapons, blech.  Alloy it with Iridium though and you can kill a cape buffalo with it.

~Rex

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 06:57:56 AM »
Apparently there is something in Barovia called 'Black Mithril'

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »
like in game or just metal called "black mithril" existing in barovia like campagn-wise or how its said nifty

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »
Black Mithral sounds more like the name of a Dwarven Micro Brew.

~Rex

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »
Black Mithril exists in the Shadow Rift only actually.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 11:29:48 PM »
theres no going there heheh

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
Outside edges of it .........And there are ways to get it, so as an optional material it shouldn't be relegated off to the land of forget about it.

Still sounds like a good Micro Brew name though I may steal it for the next home brew batch I make.  I blame Mcskinns for introducing me to that never ending habit.

~Rex

Inquizitor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 05:01:29 AM »
*longs for balanced crafting*  I don't like that idea.  It may be the Platinum thing though that's bugging me about it since I know real world metallurgy and it could be an obsessive compulsive thing but simply put, the ONLY people that should be able to take a weapon beyond "masterwork", are Casters.  That's pretty much the way it works in the DnD system though I suppose there are ways you could justify a sort of "Book of Swords" kind of feel to it for certain directions and near Epic levels of skill.  That's more Divine Inspiration though.

~Rex

A Platnum sword shouldnt have any bonuses in and of itself.  It might make for an interesting base component for a wizard to enchant it...
Current Characters:
(Inactive)Alexandru Tomescu - Caliban - Misunderstood
(Inactive)Vincent "Torin" Nighthammer - Darkon - Apprentice Dwarven Defender
Erwin Alder - Falkvonian - Werner's Bodyguard