Author Topic: Character creation - Dyes  (Read 10727 times)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
Re: Character creation - Dyes
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
None, but they're at beta 9 or 10 now. They keep perfecting it over and over. Since it's the last patch, they want to make sure it's perfect.

good to know that :)

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »
That's hilarious when you think about it.  Since 2002, NWN's patches, most of the time, added things, fixed things, and then found new bugs in the system.  If they want to claim it's the last and fixes any bugs that were left un-fixed, I'm guessing we'll be waiting far too long, sadly. 

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 07:01:33 PM »
The metal dyes in the starting zone, as far as I can recall, cost more than 100gp per.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 12:53:33 AM »
I'm sure after 1.69 is finally shake tested and thrown at some kittens to make sure it doesn't kill instantly, the dye situation will improve.  Otherwise there is nothing saying a helpful DM can't step in when they have time to help out a touch.

Yoiu think the dyes are expensive, try starting a monk, then finding out it's winter, and you didn't start with enough cash to by a cloak much less warm clothing from the starting merchant.  Dye becomes a none issue when you are dead 4 steps from Petre'

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 05:11:04 PM »
It's not my fault you have a negative constitution modifier!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 06:43:25 PM »
It's not my fault you have a negative constitution modifier!

Con has nothing to do with it.  Monks start with like, 20 GP.  Try getting one vial of Dye with that.

~Rex

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 11:22:37 PM »
Forget the dye... try buying a DAMN cloak with 20 gp

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »
I'm saying the only reason the walk would kill you is if your hp was that low, but yes, buy the cloak.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 01:56:29 AM »
You can't, the cloak is 25, you start with 20 as a monk.

Skrewd even.

~Rex

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »
Also, this problem appears to have been fixed recently.  During character creation, new characters can buy dyes from the Misty Being for 1 gold each.  And if you want to scoop up and dye several outfits, it's affordable now; just be sure to sell your dye bottles back to Misty before you use them up completely and you'll get your gold piece right back.  :)

And don't forget to sell all your dyes back to Misty before you go on your big walk through the woods.  All dye bottles are removed from your inventory before you reach Barovia anyway, so you might as well get your money back.  ;)

Free character customizability: it's a good idea.   8)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »
And if you want to scoop up and dye several outfits, it's affordable now; just be sure to sell your dye bottles back to Misty before you use them up completely and you'll get your gold piece right back.  :)

This shouldn't happen. Maybe the merchant shouldn't buy back the bottles of ink.

Free character customizability: it's a good idea.   8)

Hmm. Sounds more like an exploit, since that wasn't the intention.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
Or, you know, it could be the game's way of saying "Your character has been around for a decade or three, so it's reasonable to conclude that he or she has at some point in time picked up some nifty and unique-looking clothing beyond the limited scope of the stock clothing items."  Seriously.  It's just clothes.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »
Sure. But if they wanted dying (insert pun here) to be free, they'd not charge for the dyes. An exploit is an exploit, and this seems like one in the current context.

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »
Its not really possible to sell an item for less than 1 gp.

Even if it says it buys for 0, it still removes 1 gp from your inventory. I think this is the closest thing they could get to it being free.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Fallen

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 08:27:47 PM »
The new dye system EO and I came up with and we thought would be the easiest to manage.  Dyes as you see are only one gold and they are stripped from your inventory when you enter the mists.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »
  I like it.. I think it's great that you can buy and sell them back so that you don't have to start with the crap colors on the preset.  As well it allows players to see which dye types correlate to the the colors in the toolset so that they can match the right dyes with the looks they're requiring. 

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »
  I like it.. I think it's great that you can buy and sell them back so that you don't have to start with the crap colors on the preset.  As well it allows players to see which dye types correlate to the the colors in the toolset so that they can match the right dyes with the looks they're requiring. 
Amen and amen.  Cheap dyes during character creation give you a chance to make mistakes while the mistakes are free (as opposed to the 30 gold and up it'll cost you to make mistakes afterwards).  "What?  Salmon looks like that?  That doesn't go with venetian red and dark bronze at all!"  *sells the salmon dye back and tries again*  :)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »
It's not an exploit. It was done on purpose so that you could use any and all dyes there without worrying about gold.

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
And some of us are quite grateful for the change.  If only we had had this in place when I was creating Viorica and Braknak.  So thank you.  :)

*buys a truckload of orange dye and dyes all of ethinos' pets*  :P

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 12:14:49 AM »
The only PC that has a "pet", the pet is already of orangish color... but thanks for the offer. :lol:

Wids

• Dark Lord
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
But...but orange dogs are awesome!   :(

AwesomeOrangeDog

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
But...but orange dogs are awesome!   :(

Indeed they are  :)
I need to make a new character just to see how the different dyes actually look. I remember when i dyed Franks cloak like 5 different shades of pink and purple before i got the brown i actually wanted. It's really confusing, but i think this'll help a ton. Nice going!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 01:31:21 PM »
I thought the rumor was that we were going to get some sort of tailoring Dummy?  Other then the 6 Int Caliban tailor.  :D  Going to have to make a new PC to see this new Dye stuff though.

~Rex

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 12:02:38 AM »
  Recently tried making a new character, finding the cost of dyes in the starting area have changed.. they used to be 1g each regardless of type and resell for 1g to the starting NPC.  Unless something has prevented them from being striped from your inventory when entering the mists ie broken the setup that EO and Fallen implimented.  I find it a touch frustrating that in order to find the right colors to match what you've created either in the NWN toolset or just simply to color match for armor/clothing choices you have to make mistakes and it costs you money for anything other than cloth dyes.  Instead of being able to freely test them and find the right ones before entering the game to later pick up dyes at a store for 5g+ and end up with the wrong color choice.  Yes it is just gold to some, for those that run dungeons for loot all the time it's a drop in the bucket .. for those that don't it is a limited resource. 

Sorry for the thread necromancy.  But I felt it should be addressed.. and didn't wish to start a new thread addressing the same issue.

failed.bard

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 12:09:32 AM »
I had noticed back when you could still sell them back that they entered the store inventory as independent items.  There's a possibility the option to sell them back was removed due to the risk of a crash if the misc part of the store ended up with too many items.