Author Topic: Character creation - Dyes  (Read 10724 times)

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
Character creation - Dyes
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
  Just something I thought to point out.

While it's a great idea that the Devs have setup a dye selection from the vendor in the creation section.  It is a rather useless option given that all the dyes are typically 60 gold or more.  When the most you can get on startup is 100 gold.. most others get between 30-50 gold.  It'd be a great feature if the Dyes were reduced significantly in price. 

Cloth/leather 2-5gold
Metals 5-10 gold.

That way starters can color tailor their outfits and not appear so.. cookie cutter color combination.  What does the community think about that?

20x6

• Outlander
Re: Character creation - Dyes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
This guy thinks that all aesthetic choices should be made as painless and cheap as possible. Nothing makes this guy feel like he's wasting his life as much as spawnhunting in order to be able to afford a bottle of dye or making up the difference between one functionally equivalent torso and the next. But that's just his opinion.

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
I've always thought it'd be best to just have them all at 1 gp for creation and undroppable/unsellable.

Then once your character left the area into the intro-movie, they'd be removed from inventory.
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:01 PM »
I've actually preferred the Tailor Dummy set up, myself and a limited supply of dyes leaked out perhaps to actual PC's involved in such an industry.  Right now, there are just to many of them out there.  Dye's made by Crafting would be a nice touch though.  Find Ingredients (bottles, herbs plants minerals) boil up and make Dyes. 

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »
Suggested this about 20 times, never been anything set up so far. Selling dyes for 45g a pop at the beginner store is.. laughable.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »
It makes the most sense to have a dummy or mirror set up to set your clothing to the color you actually want (who in the world would buy dye unseen?) then once finished, it asks for confirmation and tells you the price then sets the colors.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 01:00:42 AM »
It makes the most sense to have a dummy or mirror set up to set your clothing to the color you actually want (who in the world would buy dye unseen?) then once finished, it asks for confirmation and tells you the price then sets the colors.

Agreed.  One would test the color on said material first before final sale and application.

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »
The dummy suggestion was brought up a bunch of times in the past, but from what I understand, it was decided to wait for the final NWN1 patch to come out (whenever that is) to see what changes are done toward crafting, since it will supposedly allow cloak-appearance-changing by default next patch.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 06:14:49 AM »
Selling dyes for 45g a pop at the beginner store is.. laughable.

It leaves you with a choice, either you can fix up a nice suit and look respectable as you enter Ravenloft, or you can buy that ugly armor and shield and look like the level 2 you are.

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »
Given the cost of said dyes and equipment and starting money, you would be incorrect, sir.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
Doesn't that depend on what kind of character you make?

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 09:03:21 AM »

Yes  starting coin from 20gp to 100 gp.  I think warrior types get around 50 - 75 gp, Paladins and clerics get 100 gold, I think cloth Casters get 30 gold or something like that.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »
Clerics start with more money then a fighter.  Starting gold is terrible you should start with the Maximum amount of Gold, available to your starting class via PnP simply so you can Buy NESSESITIES, and then maybe have enough left over so everyone doesn't look like they fell off the same worn winter cloak and fur armor turnip wagon.

~Rex

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »

Yes  starting coin from 20gp to 100 gp.  I think warrior types get around 50 - 75 gp, Paladins and clerics get 100 gold, I think cloth Casters get 30 gold or something like that.

Correct, and the heaviest armor + heaviest shield available adds up to a cost of 100 gold.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
Selling dyes for 45g a pop at the beginner store is.. laughable.

It leaves you with a choice, either you can fix up a nice suit and look respectable as you enter Ravenloft, or you can buy that ugly armor and shield and look like the level 2 you are.

Fix up a nice suit lawl, scarcely. I dont see a problem with giving players a bit of freebie cosmetic, it only deepens the degree of realism.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
We actually discussed it, but you see if we lowered the dyes at the starting shop to say 1 g, we'd first need to make a new seperate item for every dye we'd wish to add (which would pollute the item palette), secondly there's the chance of players "stocking up" 100 dyes.. much cheaper than what they are once you get in game.

But why not just add a script that destroys excessive dyes once you leave then? You might ask, because if you do it would require a check script that goes through the entire inventory which in turn creates a lot of lag.

There are ofc other solutions .. like crafting dummies etc, but as it's been said before, we'll wait for the next patch before we do anything with stuff like that, if we do.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
All for the next patch since the next patch looks cool as all hell so far.  More reasonable amounts of starting money would help much in the meantime however, especially when you look at the books and see how a basic 2nd level PC is actually equipped, and how much coin a given glass can actually start with.

~Rex

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 03:16:36 PM »
Wish we had a dye-kit that has all the colors listed on use.  Then you wouldn't have to fill your inventory with dye-jars, just buy a kit.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 02:56:07 AM »
Still a pain.  Just give, all folks, their maximum starting money, instead of allowing a Caster (cleric) to enter the game with more and better gear, then a Fighter.

~Rex

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
I remember on bad days when there would be like 15 studded leathers and short swords...

Could it work to give them a dye kit that is removed before entry into the game? Giving full customizability and not having everyone given teh ability to run around like silly lttle rainbows.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 01:42:37 AM »
I remember on bad days when there would be like 15 studded leathers and short swords...

Could it work to give them a dye kit that is removed before entry into the game? Giving full customizability and not having everyone given teh ability to run around like silly lttle rainbows.

It gives you a torch, it should be able to take something away right?  Maximum Starting Money would fix the issue.

~Rex

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 04:55:03 AM »

It gives you a torch, it should be able to take something away right?  Maximum Starting Money would fix the issue.

~Rex

We'd still have to go through the pain of making a dye kit that has ALL the colors, and blue just recently went and fixed all dyes for you all.

While the dev team does think balance / server mood etc is important you also have to understand that fun still is a factor as well. There isn't much fun in making dyes although it was done, there definately isn't much fun in making a dye kit to compliment something that's already in the module just to save you guys a little time and inventory space. Besides, if it wasn't for the 'fun part' there are still things higher on the priority list, like tweaking loot / dungeons as well as adding more areas.

As I said in the beginning of the thread, wait for the patch and if it offers a good solution there's a chance you'll be seeing modifying dummies at your local tailors.

archonzero

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 07:00:03 AM »
  Let's just be patient shall we.  :)

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 10:26:52 AM »
Out of curiosity, has anyone even heard of an estimated date for the big patch?  Feels like we've been talking about the patch since last Fall.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »
None, but they're at beta 9 or 10 now. They keep perfecting it over and over. Since it's the last patch, they want to make sure it's perfect.