Author Topic: Treasure - Demonologists' chests are empty  (Read 9209 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Treasure - Demonologists' chests are empty
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:50:36 PM »
Alright. So, for the 2nd time, getting to the end after a LONG hard slug, there is nothing in the chests. Nothing at all.

Is this a bug, or intentional? If it's intentional, just take the chests out. Seriously. It was a huge pain to get to the end, and we killed EVERYTHING in the temple, aboleth, other side, middle... everything dead. It was way fun, and cool to say "hey, we killed everything" but, seriously. Put some treasure in the chests, or just take them out. :-P

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
Re: Treasure - Demonologists' chests are empty
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Agreed. It was a pain we I made it in the last room with 2 hp and a dead friend. I thought: "Well, at least we reached the chests, might have something good since not many people comes here and it was full spawn". DANG! Empty.

Meh...
Gonnar Domne - The Good rogue.
Alba - Thewes a pwoblem wegawding witches?
Elenwyd Darletim - Evil and ...evil.
Pardo Datson - In development..

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
Most likley a bug
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Alright. So, for the 2nd time, getting to the end after a LONG hard slug, there is nothing in the chests. Nothing at all.

Is this a bug, or intentional? If it's intentional, just take the chests out. Seriously. It was a huge pain to get to the end, and we killed EVERYTHING in the temple, aboleth, other side, middle... everything dead. It was way fun, and cool to say "hey, we killed everything" but, seriously. Put some treasure in the chests, or just take them out. :-P

Yes Ravenloft is also about frustration... but experienced the thing like kenpen for the second time (the only times we even got that far and I go to that place really rarely) and with really nothing but the personal gain makes the frustration growing immense...  :nonono:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 04:45:06 PM by Azmodiel »

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:46:03 PM »
Yah, I was all wet with excitement, hoping for a Hawke's Longbow or something, and... empty space! After all that forum talk about how the place was supposed to have been made even harder, w/ the abberation distance knockdowns being justified because they were epic/uber items at the end. And nothing? Sheesh.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »
Was a challenge, no? That's the point of it.

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »

I really hope you were kidding. If I wanted a challenge without reward I'd tried to run the alhoon dungeon naked and with fists.

And seriosly, if actually i was playing a nwn for a challenge..I'd be wrong. I rather look for challenges IRL.
I play, and i thikn most people do, for a lot of things. D&D isnt about challenge, but challenge-lvl-reward. If you quit one of them, then it becomes pointless.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »
Yah, I was all wet with excitement, hoping for a Hawke's Longbow or something, and... empty space! After all that forum talk about how the place was supposed to have been made even harder, w/ the abberation distance knockdowns being justified because they were epic/uber items at the end. And nothing? Sheesh.

Yah, it was fun. First time I've ever cleared the entire thing, top to bottom, and killed everything in it. I mean, we missed one on the way out, and came back in just to kill him. ;) But, still... I'd heard from people the chests were empty every time, and I was hoping they were wrong or mistaken since the conversation had been brought up months ago by other people, and reassurances given.

It's not like the treasure is a huge deal. But if there's a chest, it would seem something should be in it at least some of the time. Even if it's just the hearts of tortured victims or something. I mean, maybe the chests contain nothing, and they're nihilist demonologists or something, which could make sense I guess. ;-)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »

I bet Ken is feeling better already. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
The problem with 'challenge' dungeons is that if there's no loot, not even gold, then you're basically wasting resources (scrolls/potions/Any other consumables).  And going just for the exp doesn't really cut it, since you can just go and kill Elder Scrags if you want EXP, since they're greater in exp, AND there is a chest that tends to have a reward, even if it's just money, to pay for the efforts.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
I'd love to see Sroedingers cat inside one of these 'empty' chests - I'd laugh my ass off

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 02:39:26 AM »
I'd love to see Sroedingers cat inside one of these 'empty' chests - I'd laugh my ass off

haha, priceless...

Anyway, it could be due to ninja looters - dunno, I'll check on it... :)

mayvind

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 07:46:42 AM »
Since i can remember, there no loot in those 2 chests after the new loot generate system awhile back.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 08:28:30 AM »
The problem with 'challenge' dungeons is that if there's no loot, not even gold, then you're basically wasting resources (scrolls/potions/Any other consumables).  And going just for the exp doesn't really cut it, since you can just go and kill Elder Scrags if you want EXP, since they're greater in exp, AND there is a chest that tends to have a reward, even if it's just money, to pay for the efforts.
Not saying that I disagree or anything, buuuut. At the time you are able to do the demonologists and scrags you usually got so damn much coin that wasting 10k is liike nothing.

Sig by Garison

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 09:00:25 AM »
Not saying that I disagree or anything, buuuut. At the time you are able to do the demonologists and scrags you usually got so damn much coin that wasting 10k is liike nothing.

This is true, and also why it doesn't matter a huge deal. ;)

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 10:12:39 AM »

That's very true.  However, I don't think it would be too much to ask if, just once, you open the chest and sitting there is a Bone Phoenix or a One of Many or an Astral Blade +8?    :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »

I still don't like wasting resources if I'm not finding anything in reward.  If I had to pick a dungeon to trash with one of my two characters that can handle those two dungeons, I would pick Scrags every time.  Why?  Because not only is the EXP better, but there's actual loot to be found.  It's a waste of time to do a dungeon just to prove yourself.  This isn't an MMORPG where you brag about how your team beat the epic dungeon.  That dungeon should be respected as a place where awesome events happened in the past, not a place where your friends in game go "All right, let's test ourself at the demonologist lair and see if we can beat it!" like it's "The Gauntlet" or something.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 07:28:58 AM »
But it is the guantlet... Funnily enough its a mages paradise and they can solo the joint but fighters may as well go home if they dont have a mage friend.

That Autoknockdown - no save vs. fort or Discipline is just wrong... I still aint happy with it.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
I made half of the dungeon with Gonnar (rogue), Aghila (ranger) , (Khay) Paladin.
THere's always a trick to beat those aberrations. Won't tell you, find out :)

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »

That is just true for the characters, who collect enormous amounts of coin. There are also characters who don't collect that much. Regno for example never had more then 8k at any time and mostly has under 2k.

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »

That is just true for the characters, who collect enormous amounts of coin. There are also characters who don't collect that much. Regno for example never had more then 8k at any time and mostly has under 2k.

Also remember rogues, who spend most of the coin in scrolls, that they'll waste later in dungeons....and if not rewarded, it becomes a waste...etc..

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 05:12:59 AM »

Also remember rogues, who spend most of the coin in scrolls, that they'll waste later in dungeons....and if not rewarded, it becomes a waste...etc..

Rogues have a limitless amount of coin.

Oh yeh, and i said "usually" ;)

Sig by Garison

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 05:53:27 AM »
uhm.. true...  :ontome: *hides from the DM's wrath*

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »

Rogues have a limitless amount of coin.

Oh yeh, and i said "usually" ;)

You're talking about evil rogues that steal their mum's coins right?

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »
If you are a rogue that does steal at all, you should not be good in this setting. Stealing can be worth a DP check ;)

I had a rogue at lvl 4 that was richer than all my other chars put together at that time... Earning money as one is the easiest thing to do, even if you dont steal from your mommys cookie jar ;)

Sig by Garison