Author Topic: Magical Skirmish  (Read 18406 times)

kenpen

• Dark Power
Re: Magical Skirmish
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »
Why not just stick it at the mage tower, in a dueling room. Mage 1, 2, 3, 4, however many are involved activate an item installed in the room, it brings to life the golems (though, they should like like big badass things, flames and such, etc... maybe each mage could specifically be able to pick his avatar and personalize it). Then, they fight as per rules. The items stats could be based on certain of the mages score, then translated into certain attributes or powers, perhaps giving the mage the ability to pick then (so there's actually an element of knowledge involved) then the two things slug it out (or three or four... would be nice to be able to have multiple mage duels.)

Being able to do something like this anywhere seems kinda silly. Golem, weave or otherwise, tend to take a bit more to create than some spellcraft.

Though, It'd be cool to be able to use the golem creation room to actually make some to follow you around. Muahhaah.

Gutshank

• Dirty n00b!!!1
  • Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2008, 09:36:50 PM »
We all wish NWN more closely mirrored Dnd, supported more spells, and had more content. To make up for this want we RP outside the box and bring in outside resources and see what our character would be able to do in DnD then we transfer those abilities to RP. This can make a lot more RP and more interesting circumstances however it also can create a fair amount of trouble. The problem is how many outside resources exist. They border on the reasonable like levitation of small objects, minor spells, prestidigitation and the like to the more extreme things like psionics. We have to be able to draw the line on what is and what is not acceptable. The most fair way to do that is by limiting your characters abilities to the abilities that he possesses in NWN.

If we were to judge it on a case by case basis it would create a lot more work and also create situations where a player might feel he was treated unfairly. "How come Mr. Joes Prestidigitation worked but my levitation can't? If I was playing PnP I could do it same as him?" People also have the tendency to test the limits.

I know we all desire for our characters to be more.. but please respect the cheesing rule. It's there for a reason :D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:55:54 PM by Gutshank »
~Dawn Bless~

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »
As I mentioned before.. Make an official list over ok to "cheese" spells(Mage Hand, Predestigation etc) and some other spells that need a DM around to supervise, such as Scry.
IŽll gladly give it a try. If there would be any real interest for it...

Sig by Garison

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
You're better off just pointing out the source of the PnP spell to a DM, I'd say.  There's like millions of spells, would be a pain in the arse to just list them all.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »
As I mentioned before.. Make an official list over ok to "cheese" spells(Mage Hand, Predestigation etc) and some other spells that need a DM around to supervise, such as Scry.
IŽll gladly give it a try. If there would be any real interest for it...

DM's on the same page or Different Pages because it still looks like a majority for No, yet the thread rolls on.

Still though, if an enterprising person wants to site sources http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm is a source to site I suppose.  It's a bad Idea to allow it though simply because eventually you are going to get the argument of "Well DM so and So let me do it this way before so you better do as I say NOOB!"

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.