Author Topic: XP System  (Read 9468 times)

Haplo Nexus

• Dark Lord
  • "Innocence proves nothing."
Re: XP System
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:52:16 PM »
I understand it, but I have never had any characters hit the wall. I don't play that much...so until I become a powergamer, I don't think I need to worry about it : )

Fergoose

• New to the Mists
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »
I only play intermittently. It took my character roughly 6 months to get to level 4, but now they are coming thick and fast for some reason. It sounds like he might get to level 6 soon. Anyway, just to say as someone who rarely fights with his character it is a pleasure to still be able to progress (level 6 will be my highest on any server for years) and I salute the XP system for making it possible to progress without having to make repeat visits to the same dungeons. 

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
Yeah, it really is one of those things you either sit through for an hour and understand or you don't.  :oops:

No it's not!

Hey, let's explain it in terms of toilets!

If you have recently flushed a toilet, and the tank is filling up, you can usually flush it again when it gets to about half a tank, but the flush isn't as good.  However, if you wait until it's completely full, you get a better flush.  If you wait for ten days, the tank still isn't past full, and the dude who's been flushing half tanks twice every minute is way ahead of you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:50:34 PM by Bad_Bud »

Inquizitor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »
I've found that the XP I gained at neglecting my path was actually slowed drastically as opposed to when I am at any of the other stages.  I think it's bugged but I can't prove it because I don't have access to the numbers.  My suspicion comes from leveling two characters at approximately the same level.

I had a Level 3 Fighter and went through the beetle caves with a normal spawn.  He was at comforatable into level 3 when he started and ended up on thriving in level 4 whgen he finished.  He was one of the areas between neglect and Proverbial wall.  I think it was whatever teh mists throw at him.

I took a level 3 Wizard who was at new dawn through the beetle caves whome I had not played in a while so he had been neglecting his path.  It was a double spawn.  When I finished I was at not lonag ago having leveled to level 4.

Both scenerios I was playing Solo.
Current Characters:
(Inactive)Alexandru Tomescu - Caliban - Misunderstood
(Inactive)Vincent "Torin" Nighthammer - Darkon - Apprentice Dwarven Defender
Erwin Alder - Falkvonian - Werner's Bodyguard

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »
I've found that the XP I gained at neglecting my path was actually slowed drastically as opposed to when I am at any of the other stages.  I think it's bugged but I can't prove it because I don't have access to the numbers.  My suspicion comes from leveling two characters at approximately the same level.

I had a Level 3 Fighter and went through the beetle caves with a normal spawn.  He was at comforatable into level 3 when he started and ended up on thriving in level 4 whgen he finished.  He was one of the areas between neglect and Proverbial wall.  I think it was whatever teh mists throw at him.

I took a level 3 Wizard who was at new dawn through the beetle caves whome I had not played in a while so he had been neglecting his path.  It was a double spawn.  When I finished I was at not lonag ago having leveled to level 4.

Playing solo doesn't always mean you're alone ;)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 01:01:23 AM »
It my very personal and humble opinion that the xp cap just promotes ninja looting. Seeing as how even standing around and talking to people prevents you from loosing
your cap, the only thing you can do actively and not gain any xp (hence putting your cap eventually down) is cast improved invisibility, haste and go wild :(

And I'm a person that thinks the cap is there for all the right reasons.
Has been described as a sometimey player

failed.bard

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 01:42:43 AM »
It my very personal and humble opinion that the xp cap just promotes ninja looting. Seeing as how even standing around and talking to people prevents you from loosing
your cap, the only thing you can do actively and not gain any xp (hence putting your cap eventually down) is cast improved invisibility, haste and go wild :(

And I'm a person that thinks the cap is there for all the right reasons.

Given the choice of making thousands of fangs in meaningless dungeoning, or sitting around the Lady's in meaningless RP, I'll take the RP every time, whether I'm getting XP for it or not.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 04:00:49 AM »
It's not meaningless things we're talking about, it's loosing the cap and the xp system we're talking about

failed.bard

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 06:41:15 AM »
It's not meaningless things we're talking about, it's loosing the cap and the xp system we're talking about

Yes, and you level at the same rate whether you're capped or not.  Ninja looting to keep from getting XP so the cap goes away won't get you your level any faster than grinding like mad to push the wall will.  Given the choice, knowing that, to spend time roleplaying or soloing for loot, I'll take the RP.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 02:44:20 PM »
Could have sworn that in another XP thread somewhere it was noted that RP xp, is not effected by the Cap.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »
I'm not sure how rp xp affects things but my own experience was this;  after about a week of nothing but 'killing plants' (hunting herbs) and next to no rp at all with jinx she went off of blind drive to 'what ever the mists throw at you'.  I had some minimal rp in the outskirts, nothing more than some comments and a few small conversations and that put her back on blind drive.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »
Actually, with failed.bard comments, I think I finally got what the xp system is about.

There is  sort of a SET amount of time in which you will level up eventually. IE to go from 11 to 12 you need about 2 weeks. That's whether you run around like kenpen or have a dungeon run twice a week.

Is this correct?

(goes back to hasted/improved invis/skill focus open lock dungeon killing ways all the while practising his 'Ey oop!' in case a buxom+blonde+bed combo shows up)
(tis a combination of three topics that last sentence hahaha)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »
More of a Certain amount of XP can be gained via multiple sources, within a Certain amount of time.  Ratio Formula!

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Inquizitor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 03:23:03 AM »

Playing solo doesn't always mean you're alone ;)

I cleared the map,  Got all the loot and all the mushrooms with the wizard.  No I can't rule out a legion of theives and invisible wizards following me around watching all this happen.  It is highly unlikely though.  Even if there was one other person following me around for some unknowable reason I would still find the xp gain from that run highly suspect.
Current Characters:
(Inactive)Alexandru Tomescu - Caliban - Misunderstood
(Inactive)Vincent "Torin" Nighthammer - Darkon - Apprentice Dwarven Defender
Erwin Alder - Falkvonian - Werner's Bodyguard