Author Topic: XP System  (Read 9470 times)

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
XP System
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
This isn't a complaint or plea for the mysteries of the XP system to be revealed. Just asking for a clarification, please. :)

I've heard in the past (can't remember from who) that even blind-driven or stuck at the proverbial wall, that only experience from slaying NPC baddies is affected. That XP is still gained normally and unhindered from roleplay (IE, speaking and emoting with other PCs or being given XP cookies by DMs for good roleplay.

Is this true? Or are we better off spending our time more wisely once a character hits the "proverbial wall?"

Thanks in advance.
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

failed.bard

Re: XP System
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:56:07 AM »
You still get role play XP from what I've seen, but that XP still seems to count against the cap as for when it comes off.  You can also cap yourself purely off RP, which I didn't know you could do until I did it and a few other players told me they had as well.

PinkTarantula

• Undead Master
  • Epic Skill Focus : Haiku
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:17:44 AM »
I'm the master of hard-capping myself with my power-RP.  I can't even count the amount of times I've done that. :D
Blacken and sin, accept and be swept

BreakFree

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »
I'm the master of hard-capping myself with my power-RP.  I can't even count the amount of times I've done that. :D

We constantly tell Thet to shut up. He never listens.  :P
Marcus Rose: Red Vardo Traders

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »
You still get role play XP from what I've seen...

It's becoming apparent to me this isn't true. I've walled Ruxandra since coming back mostly on RP xp (she can't kill much that gives her xp as it is) and has been walled for days now. Spending most of my time RPing and being at new dawns forever (real life days)... she appears to gain nothing, despite messages of being satisfied with gains and having killed nothing.

As I like playing one character over multiple, it's clear to me I'm probably best off getting a few books from the library and disappearing for a week. :\

Chrisman888

• The Man Of The Hour
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
 You know if your on the wall and on new dawns. You can still gain exp, just alot harder. I have done it tons of times.. be on the wall and new dawns. I farmed for an hour and leveled.. but then I was capped for 2 weeks. Bahahaha.
Current Characters:
- Horatiu Milosovici (Barovian)
- Garbhan Macduff (Forlon)

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »
I'd rather read a book. :p

It would be nice to have an actual answer from someone who could at least look at the code though...

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:44:43 AM »
Its possible to cap yourself with RP. I got myself on the "blind drive" once with pure rp.  It sucks really, since if you ever get hard capped and like gaining XP from monsters you kill, you can't RP either. So the only solution is to give that char a vacation and do other stuff.
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 12:46:46 AM »
Does it really matter? Cap or not.. keep rping your char. Cherry was capped from day three i think..

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 01:05:45 AM »
Heh, James was capped from level 12 to 15 in proverbial wall.  Never stopped me.

For the record:  The speed it takes you to level up does not change when you are capped or uncapped.

I'll give a classic example of the old days when Antias and Zecht used to level up together.  We both made our characters the same day.  Antias loved hunting more than I did, so he'd go hunting like every day while I'd go once a week, cuz I wasn't so interested back in the day.  What happened?  He'd hit level 10 while I was still on the "puzzle" message, except he'd be on "proverbial wall" while I'd be "whatever the mist throws at you".  Then what happens when Antias goes "lol, you're still level 9, I'm 10, noob!"  I go "Antias, you noob, watch this!"  and then enter a high level dungeon with a group, beat it, and then instantly level.

In fact, I actually used Antias as a 'gauge' for me to know when I needed to level up.  Basically, if he said he was able to level up, then that meant it was time for me to go dungeoning until I leveled.  :lol:

Take it from a pro of the system:  If you like dungeoning/heavy RP, don't stop because of the cap.  You'll still get there like anyone else.

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 01:31:22 AM »
Heh, James was capped from level 12 to 15 in proverbial wall.  Never stopped me.

For the record:  The speed it takes you to level up does not change when you are capped or uncapped.

I'll give a classic example of the old days when Antias and Zecht used to level up together.  We both made our characters the same day.  Antias loved hunting more than I did, so he'd go hunting like every day while I'd go once a week, cuz I wasn't so interested back in the day.  What happened?  He'd hit level 10 while I was still on the "puzzle" message, except he'd be on "proverbial wall" while I'd be "whatever the mist throws at you".  Then what happens when Antias goes "lol, you're still level 9, I'm 10, noob!"  I go "Antias, you noob, watch this!"  and then enter a high level dungeon with a group, beat it, and then instantly level.

In fact, I actually used Antias as a 'gauge' for me to know when I needed to level up.  Basically, if he said he was able to level up, then that meant it was time for me to go dungeoning until I leveled.  :lol:

Take it from a pro of the system:  If you like dungeoning/heavy RP, don't stop because of the cap.  You'll still get there like anyone else.

One word: Bard  :Yes_by_rizlafiend:
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

eyeofpestilence

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »
Also a reminder. Real easy to level up to 10. After that. Boy does it take time.

Thanks DW!

Struwelpeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »

Uhm. What is the stuff about being level capped at all? How does this happen and why?
Alwrr, formerly of the Jura-Dai
Ullumo, multiversal beggar
Arûth, escaped slave

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
It's basically a barrier to prevent people from leveling too fast (thus why you never see someone go from level 1 to 10 in under a week).  The amount of experience (no one really knows the exact number) you can gain daily increases over time and sticks with you.  Like how I mentioned with Antias and Zecht's example.  Antias (who was at the cap) wasn't getting much experience when he did anything, however, since Zecht was not capped (and started at the same time as Antias playing consistantly), it meant that he could catch up to Antias if he wanted to (though the effort would require him to be capped as well).

As stated before, it's not a 'bad' place to be, though it can feel annoying.  In the end, you've got two options while in Proverbial Wall:

1.  Keep killing/RPing/DM-questing and ignore it.

2.  Wait a bunch of days, then do what you do and end up exactly in the same position as idea 1.

Struwelpeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 10:20:28 AM »

Right. Thanks for the reply. And that explains why I had been RL weeks without killin anything with Alwrr and, after clearing a few mummies, got the new dawns.
Pretty cool, the server XP system, btw.  :thumbup:
Alwrr, formerly of the Jura-Dai
Ullumo, multiversal beggar
Arûth, escaped slave

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand dont forget, when you are lot of time without hunting/getting xp...you get the message "you have been neglecting your path and you feel the urge to seek new adventures" ((or somehing in the lines of that)) which I guess gives you a boost in xp per monster you kill.
Gonnar Domne - The Good rogue.
Alba - Thewes a pwoblem wegawding witches?
Elenwyd Darletim - Evil and ...evil.
Pardo Datson - In development..

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »
That's true, but it's not a productive position to be in, because the amount of EXP you can 'reach' stops filling when you're 'neglecting' your path.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
I think if you're neglecting your path, you get more XP. Won't say how much, but when I was at that message, I was getting more per monster than normal.

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
That's true, but it's not a productive position to be in, because the amount of EXP you can 'reach' stops filling when you're 'neglecting' your path.

Huh?   :?

I'm confused on this.  Please explain in the simplest possible terms with examples if possible.   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:16:58 PM by ThAnswr »
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »
Ok, let me put it like this.  The amount of experience you can GAIN before being capped (or Proverbial wall) expands overtime whether you're online or offline.  If you are neglecting your path, this means that the amount you can 'gain' stops growing.

The best example I can think of is the "Rest" system from World of Warcraft.  The rest system worked like this.  If you log out or sit in an inn for LONG periods of time, a special 'bar' starts filling up OVER your exp gauge.  When you go our exping that next time, any exp you made was doubled UNTIL you hit the end of that gauge.  Now when new people to WoW hear this, they go "Oh, so the best thing to do is to make a character and stuff him in an inn for a year, then I can just level to max level with double the gain!"  Wrong.  There was a limit at how much you could get, and I think the limit was like 2-3 real life days of sitting in an inn worth of resting-exp.

I've always pictured our exp system like the resting system, only different.  The difference is that it's impossible to gain more exp than you would be able to.  That's the beauty of the system, in its own way.  If you are on "New Dawns of enlightenment" (aka you're very close to a level up), but you are on Proverbial Wall, that should hint you that you can either push endlessly and hope you can reach your level up, or you can be patient and wait one more day or two (depending on how high level you are.  After level 10, it does take days to transition from one progression message to the next).

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
Ok, let me put it like this.  The amount of experience you can GAIN before being capped (or Proverbial wall) expands overtime whether you're online or offline.  If you are neglecting your path, this means that the amount you can 'gain' stops growing.

The best example I can think of is the "Rest" system from World of Warcraft.  The rest system worked like this.  If you log out or sit in an inn for LONG periods of time, a special 'bar' starts filling up OVER your exp gauge.  When you go our exping that next time, any exp you made was doubled UNTIL you hit the end of that gauge.  Now when new people to WoW hear this, they go "Oh, so the best thing to do is to make a character and stuff him in an inn for a year, then I can just level to max level with double the gain!"  Wrong.  There was a limit at how much you could get, and I think the limit was like 2-3 real life days of sitting in an inn worth of resting-exp.

I've always pictured our exp system like the resting system, only different.  The difference is that it's impossible to gain more exp than you would be able to.  That's the beauty of the system, in its own way.  If you are on "New Dawns of enlightenment" (aka you're very close to a level up), but you are on Proverbial Wall, that should hint you that you can either push endlessly and hope you can reach your level up, or you can be patient and wait one more day or two (depending on how high level you are.  After level 10, it does take days to transition from one progression message to the next).

So if I'm on "neglecting your path" (which is a way of life for my char) am more likely to be capped or less likely?  I've only been capped one brief, but proud moment.

I've always said my char is living proof you really don't have to do much to get levels or gold on this server.   ;)
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »
Here's another way to put this.  Refer to this diagram:

Neglecting path ~ Whatever the mist ~ Blind Drive ~ Proverbial Wall

If you're at neglecting path, you're not getting anymore gauge, which is why it's best to stay in stages 2 & 3 if you're trying to maximize exp gain on a character.  Being at stage 4 (proverbial) just means that you're in chill-out mode.  You can take days off from the server and make the exp right back up if you wanted.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 04:57:30 AM »
Defining the XP system is like defining the dark powers - any attempt fails because it cannot be defined. :D

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »
I'm almost ashamed to admit, I still don't understand what Ric is so valiantly trying to explain.   :oops:

I think I'll just keep chugging along in blissful ignorance.  Heck it's worked for the first 14 levels.   :mrgreen:
Sig by Garison

Hunter Thompson

Thanks Aahz

Ric

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
Yeah, it really is one of those things you either sit through for an hour and understand or you don't.  :oops: