You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Speaking through one's familiar  (Read 2859 times)

Struwelpeter

• Undead Slayer
Speaking through one's familiar
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »

Hi there,

I just started a new wizard character. I was planning for his familiar to have a very important place in his life and in the RP I'll be doing with it. Thing is, it seems kind of difficult and awkward to have to possess your familiar everytime you want it to say something. Is there another way of speaking through the familiar? If not, there really should be another way, eh? I mean, I've seen a lot of discussion in the Forum regarding how people treat familiars as decoys, inventory items, meatshields, and the like. Allowing for an easier way to speak through them would help turning them into more significant aspects of a character's life, I think. No? I think the ideal stuff would be something like typing /familiar in the dialogue box, or something like that, get me? This would be sooo cool.

All the best,

S.p.
Alwrr, formerly of the Jura-Dai
Ullumo, multiversal beggar
Arûth, escaped slave

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
Re: Speaking through one's familiar
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
I dont know WHY they changed it here. In any other server you can posses your familiar and talk all you want, and the only way to go back to your PC is to either un-posses, or when your PC gets attacked.

So..please...why was this done? serves any kind of balance purpose that im missing?...

Gonnar Domne - The Good rogue.
Alba - Thewes a pwoblem wegawding witches?
Elenwyd Darletim - Evil and ...evil.
Pardo Datson - In development..

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:59:47 PM »
Actually you will go back to your body if your body -hears- a voice. Usually i stash Melanie somewhere and go off with the pixie for kicks.

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Struwelpeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
Yup, but even then, it takes kind of too much work to talk through your familiar with someone. I mean, if there's a dialogue between your character, the familiar, and someone else, you have too keep possessing the familiar repeatedly and awkwardly... Isn't this a bore to anyone else? Just me?
Alwrr, formerly of the Jura-Dai
Ullumo, multiversal beggar
Arûth, escaped slave

Jaguar

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »
Seen this working on other servers.

Bad side is that the DM channel will be spammed with text since, at least the system I've seen, goes through that channel.

You can also simply type: [Your-familiars-name-here] *Squeeks and squaks and yada yada*    Also works.  :)

It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
-Woody Allen

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
It is a pain in the rump.

Like Nef said, if I want to use my caliban's imp for an extended amount of time, I hide my caliban in another area.

If I want to have the imp speak in my caliban's company, I will first type what he is to say, then possess the imp and hit enter so as to punch that dialogue out before the possession is foiled.  If you are a fast typer, it can work alright, although if you have lag going on, it can make it even more difficult to make that strategy work.

Sometimes I'll just type what the imp is going to say in Carrib's own dialogue box like this:

[The imp giggles and replies "Ahh...tax time!  tax time!  Gots to pay the sewer tax!!] 

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »
Yeah.. careful to be fast enough i recall Zecht emoting [puurs as he licks his own crotch] while trying to emote for his panther.. -_-

Kaspar

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
Yeah.. careful to be fast enough i recall Zecht emoting [puurs as he licks his own crotch] while trying to emote for his panther.. -_-

:lol:

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 03:48:46 AM »
All mentioned s true. However, you are missing the important point. In the normal nwn campaing or any normal server. YOu'd only get the familliar unpossesed if:

a) it dies
b) you unposses it
c) someone attacks the caster.

HERE it goes unpossesed when also...

a) it talks
b) someone else talks and your PC hears it.

My question is -why- was this done?? I fail to see -any- use for it appart from being annoying.

tzaeru

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:12:03 AM »
I guess that the unpossessing happens when in eyes of NWN your character is active.

Somehow, the way characters "register" others talking here counts as an active action or something.

Also.. Possessing only cancels if your familiar talks so that you hear it ^^

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »
All mentioned s true. However, you are missing the important point. In the normal nwn campaing or any normal server. YOu'd only get the familliar unpossesed if:

a) it dies
b) you unposses it
c) someone attacks the caster.

HERE it goes unpossesed when also...

a) it talks
b) someone else talks and your PC hears it.

My question is -why- was this done?? I fail to see -any- use for it appart from being annoying.

You dont switch back when it talks, you do only if the PC hears it.

Now this said, calm down, i dont think the dev team put themselves together to make your life annoying. Might just be a bug that was never fixed.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
or it might be unavoidable evil in order to make some certain script work or something. its there for a reason
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
I think it might be so you can't exploit your familear to make EXP by talking to yourself...

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:38:33 AM »
Well technically, that would still be doable, since you'd basically just talk-possess-talk-possess, etc.

I don't believe you can get exp by doing this anyways.

And yeah, that was horrifying.

Gonny

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »
or it might be unavoidable evil in order to make some certain script work or something. its there for a reason

And that's exactly what I'm askingfor that reason. Not Yelling or threatening you all with death! Just asking for the reason to make the possesion so complex.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »
I just noticed this myself.  Did anyone figure out why it's doing this:?
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Wids

• We don't need no stinkin' avatars!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
I was wondering why that was happening myself.

Rodica:  "'Tis time to lure that ghost stag away so that we may pass safely, Aripi!"

*Rodica possesses Aripi the Bat*

Aripi:  "*fweep!*"

*Rodica goes shooting back into her own body*

Rodica:  "...whuh?"   :shock:

It seems kind of unnecessary to me, too.  Is there a good reason for it?  :?