Hints and tips for new players
Even those experienced in playing NWN online may find it difficult getting by here due to the unique experience. Below, you will find a number of useful hints and tips to get by here if you are new. (Notice that you can always access these in game by writing out "@read 9" in the talk channel. Also see your in game journal for other relevant texts).
- Roleplaying in a gothic horror setting generally requires that you approach things with caution rather than blindly charging into the fray. This applies to all aspects of the roleplay - support the atmosphere by being receptive to what it tries to do and take your time to let things unfold. It may be easier and at glance more entertaining to play a fearless hero or villain, but it extinguishes the possibilities for the deep, intriguing and ultimately much more rewarding roleplay to unfold.
- Roleplay of course requires other people to roleplay with. While we encourage you to primarily let the roleplay occur naturally through your encounters with other PCs, these encounters sometimes fail to occur on their own. If you have trouble finding other players and get involved in roleplay, use our "Looking for Roleplay" system to locate others who are also lacking roleplay partners and at the same time allow them to locate you. Use the commands "@lfrp" to opt in and "@lfrp list" to see a list of players currently looking for roleplay.
- Generally, surviving on your own in the lands of dread is not easy and will leave you struggling to get by. A good way to find perduring allies is by joining one of our many factions. For more information, contact a DM, visit our forums or seek them out in game.
- While the natives of Barovia in general are xenophobic and unwelcoming to outsiders, Half-Orcs, Drow and any other beings with "freakish attributes" such as wings, horns, tails etc. are regarded as monstrous and may be attacked on sight. If playing these races or carry such features, it is suggested that you cover your face when entering civilization (by wearing a helmet or hood), or that you avoid it altogether.
- Magic is generally both awed and feared among the natives of Barovia, and will cause strong reactions and even hostility. As such, it's use has been prohibited near civilization in Barovia, and it is generally advised that you are cautious in revealing your magical abilities to natives.