Author Topic: Knight of the Raven PrC  (Read 12548 times)

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
  • Death is stronger than all proud men
Knight of the Raven PrC
« on: October 09, 2007, 05:46:41 PM »
A thousand apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I was wondering if there were any plans to implement the Knight of the Raven Prestige Class into PotM? Also, as far as multiclassing penalities go, I can’t remember if a paladin can take this PrC without losing their ability to ever take a level of paladin again. I know there are some PrC’s that have a caveat that works around this, but I can’t remember if the KotR does. Is this enforced in game? I’d expect so, but don’t want to assume.

I really like this PrC, but I don’t know how easy it would be to implement in the game and what it would do to the balance, so I was just curious.

I also noticed there is a faction in game called the Keepers of the Feather, which seems to me to have strong ties to the Knights of the Raven backstory I read. It makes one wonder... :think:

Thanks!
Dramatis Personæ:

Thanks to emptyanima for the marvelous siggies!
Damiana Mavra | Erebeth Moravec | Sighildr Rødsävrd | Ravenna Varkath

Catacomb

• One of the Regular People
  • Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
Re: Knight of the Raven PrC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
From what I've heard, the team apparently plans to hold off on custom PRC's until the NWN 2 version of the server is out.  :(

sig by Garison

Account: CatacombD

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
From what I've heard, the team apparently plans to hold off on custom PRC's until the NWN 2 version of the server is out.  :(

Hmmm that kind of sucks, but makes sense nonetheless. I guess I'm just eager  ;)

Thanks for info!

I wonder if they'll keep the requirements the same, such as having to meet and be on good terms with an existing member of the Order and having to hold a nighttime vigil in the Chapel of Ravenloft. The second requirement would be hard for my paladin as she's part of the militia and bound to obey the law, which includes staying off of Castle Ravenloft's grounds unless invited. I don't see Strahd inviting a paladin eager to join an Order that opposes him to the Castle.  :lol:
Dramatis Personæ:

Preppunk19

• New to the Mists
  • WANT!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »

Any idea when that is going to be launched?  Even a ballpark guess would be cool.
Unique New York Unique New York Unique New York

Catacomb

• One of the Regular People
  • Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:56:25 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know.  Would need someone from the Dev team to answer that.

sig by Garison

Account: CatacombD

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »
The NWN2 version will be done when it's done. ;) I've seen some great stuff being built but areas take a lot longer to make in NWN2 and the expansion isn't even out in the US yet.

The reason we decided to hold off on custom classes/prestige classes is because implementing them is much easier to do in NWN2 than it is in NWN1.

As to the particular question: The Knight of the Ravens prestige class from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is iffy canon-wise, as is everything else in that book. IF it gets implemented, it will be changed to fit the setting more appropriately (EtCR pretty much ignored the entire setting and had more of a generic fantasy feel to it).

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »
The NWN2 version will be done when it's done. ;) I've seen some great stuff being built but areas take a lot longer to make in NWN2 and the expansion isn't even out in the US yet.

The reason we decided to hold off on custom classes/prestige classes is because implementing them is much easier to do in NWN2 than it is in NWN1.

As to the particular question: The Knight of the Ravens prestige class from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is iffy canon-wise, as is everything else in that book. IF it gets implemented, it will be changed to fit the setting more appropriately (EtCR pretty much ignored the entire setting and had more of a generic fantasy feel to it).

Ah, okay. Thanks for the feedback. Can't wait for the NWN2 version!

I never really paid much attention to Ravenloft for some inexplicable reason (since I love horror and undead themes) so I'm way new to the setting. I just ordered "I, Strahd" for $1.47 online so I guess I'll be getting more acquainted with the setting soon!

It's too bad about the KotR being iffy canon wise, because I really like the class and their backstory. I guess we'll see what comes of it, though I think there's a lot of crossover between them and what I've read about the Keepers of the Feather.
Dramatis Personæ:

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:19:45 PM »
Real pity that.... Sounded cool.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »
Holding vigil in Ravenlofts chapel for a whole night?

NO ONE can do that. Thats impossible. WTH were the authors thinking?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »

I really don't know. :|

There are some cool ideas in the book, but I read through most of it and my reaction was :wtf:

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 03:30:53 PM »

Really? As in it is completely inaccessible or there's no way on the DP's Black earth Strahd would allow that without decimating the person?

From what I've gathered from the EtCR, since it's outside of the Ravenloft world and more generified it seems to be something plausible. After all,
Spoiler: show
one of the two existing KotR is a ghost in Castle Ravenloft, and you have to meet one on friendly terms to have access to the PrC.
I take it something like could never happen in the Ravenloft world?

As I've said, I'm really new to the Ravenloft setting, so the EtCR I guess is Ravenloft-lite for me.  :lol:
Dramatis Personæ:

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »

Really? As in it is completely inaccessible or there's no way on the DP's Black earth Strahd would allow that without decimating the person?

From what I've gathered from the EtCR, since it's outside of the Ravenloft world and more generified it seems to be something plausible. After all,
one of the two existing KotR is a ghost in Castle Ravenloft, and you have to meet one on friendly terms to have access to the PrC.
I take it something like could never happen in the Ravenloft world?

As I've said, I'm really new to the Ravenloft setting, so the EtCR I guess is Ravenloft-lite for me.  :lol:
It's not really impossible, but it's not a particularly practical requirement for a prestige class. Maybe one or two people would ever make it...Strahd would get wise pretty quickly: "why the hell are all these people trying to sleep in the chapel?"

After one or two people did it...he'd start investigating why they did it, then take measure to ensure the group's utter destruction.

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »
It's not really impossible, but it's not a particularly practical requirement for a prestige class. Maybe one or two people would ever make it...Strahd would get wise pretty quickly: "why the hell are all these people trying to sleep in the chapel?"

After one or two people did it...he'd start investigating why they did it, then take measure to ensure the group's utter destruction.

Geez, that doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense. I guess I just assumed that there was some caveat to allow it to happen. I agree that seems like a rather stupid requirement for a PrC that is part of a group that is in direct opposition to Strahd and exists to eliminate him.

So yeah... :wtf:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:56:37 PM by Ciaran999 »
Dramatis Personæ:

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 04:02:52 PM »
Yeah I think if we do implement them in the future, the requirement would involve sanctifying something to Andral instead. Or at least holding a vigil in a spot sacred to Andral.

Sab1

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 04:04:49 PM »

but areas take a lot longer to make in NWN2
But they claimed that making stuff in NWN2 was sooooooooo much easier.   :lol:  :lol:
Still say NWN2 is such a disappoinment for the amount of time they spent working on it.
Mebriel of House Te'fess

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »
Yeah I think if we do implement them in the future, the requirement would involve sanctifying something to Andral instead. Or at least holding a vigil in a spot sacred to Andral.

That sounds pretty cool too, and much more practical then holding vigil in Chapel Ravenloft.

No wonder the knighthood is so sparse!  :roll:
Dramatis Personæ:

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 04:44:53 PM »
When I ran the hardback ravenloft module in my PnP game world I adjusted that to holding vigil nearby the Icon of Ravenloft, which was located on the chapel altar at the start of the module.

Once you managed to steal it away, you could hold vigil in a new secret shrine you built.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
Enter Castle Ravenloft.... steal... keep vigils... impossible... Suicidal...

Heh, ya need to be quite powerful to enter Castle Ravenloft uninvited.. Otherwise ye die in a most horrible fashion..

Sig by Garison

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »
Nah, anyone can enter and find the chapel. It's getting out that's the trick.

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 04:01:40 PM »

That's about right. The EtCR says
that if the PC's are holding a vigil in here he waits to enter when they least expect it and attacks them mercilessly using both his wolf and bat forms, retreating only when reduced to 0. Apparently he despises this chapel and being drawn there to confront the PC's irks him something fierce.
Dramatis Personæ:

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 05:33:28 AM »

Mostly thinking of the badass guardians...[shivers]

Sig by Garison

Knight's Sword

• Outlander
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 03:13:48 AM »
Knights of the Raven. This has piqued my interest.
Grayson Astavich - Warrior of the Innocent.

'Real men needn't speak, their stories are told by the scars on their bodies'

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 03:53:51 AM »
Running out of levels to MC with... :D

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

RoyFeonix

• Outlander
    • Red Nightmares
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 05:50:40 PM »
Well, from what I've figured about the module I6: Ravenloft and the 3.5 edition module (having DMed the 3.5 and read through the 1st edition one), if you try to analyze them on the cannon timeline, I'm pretty sure that all that happens during the transition stages before the other domains come, and therefore Strahd is much much younger a vampyre and less powerful. I mean, they classify him as as a CR 15 monster in the EtCR for Christsake! Of course, in that timeline, by necessity they have to be non-canon, because if Strahd dies before anything else can happen the DPs just lost their first Darklord. EtCR has to be noncannon, tho, 'cause they have Madam Eva be a hag. And that's just stupid.

But yeah, that module was one of the first ones I ran PnP, and I got my first PC kill from it. (Freakin Rangers not being able to pass Will saves...)

It had some interesting things... but, I mean, seriously. The Daystar? Interesting, but I mean come on.

I do have to admit, though, the KotR is a good class.

Elda Arelei - Back from the wastes, and ready to find herself.

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »
I liked that Strahd had a magical gem that made him immune to everything unless you shut down his various power sources in Ninjagaiden esque elemental area's Woo!