You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Ravenloft Novels  (Read 9151 times)

Forlorn

Ravenloft Novels
« on: November 05, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »
Anyone read any good Ravenloft novels? Personally I've read all the Strahd, Azalin, and Lord Soth novels, as well as a few stories about Jander Sunstar, the elven vampire. Due to school I have been unable to continue enjoying any other novels. But winter break is coming up for me soon, so if anyone has read any Ravenloft novels that are excellent, let me know and I can buy it during my upcoming christmas break. Thanks.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 02:17:45 PM »
The only one I had a chance to read was I, Strahd: Memoirs of a Vampire by P.N. Elrod. It's quite good, and gives a lot of insight into Strahd's character.

I've heard that Vampire of the Mists, Dance of the Dead, Carnival of Fear, Knight of the Black Rose, Shadowborn and Spectre of the Black Rose are good as well.

From what I hear, Death of a Darklord is terrible though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

tryst_91

• New to the Mists
Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »
As a current owner of all the ravenloft novels i can possibly help you out.  Of course our tastes may differ but Vampire of the Mist is my favorite followed by Spectre of the Black Rose and dance of the dead.  Heart of Midnight and Tapestry of Dark Souls and Scholar of Decay are both great too.  Both I, Strahd's are good.  After those the quality starts to fall off.  Shadowborn is pretty good as is mordenheim.  To Sleep with evil isn't too bad... anyway if you have a specific question about one i might be able to tell you.  Yes death of a darklord is one of the worst books i have read.. and i read constantly.  Just finished book 16 since August 1, 05.  It is an addiction hehe.  

Trystin Karius

Forlorn

Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 03:26:25 PM »
I've read both I, Strahd books as well as Knight of the Black Rose and Spectre of the Black Rose. And I gather that Vampire of the Mists is good from what you guys are saying. That one I have not read, but from what I know its about the meeting of Jander Sunstar and Strahd right? That does sound like it could be extremely exciting. Think I'll try out that one this christmas break, thanks for the input guys, it is much appreciated.

tryst_91

• New to the Mists
Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 03:29:17 PM »
Yeah it is the first appearance of jander.  Highly recommend you grab this as soon as possible.  I read it about once a year now lol.  It is my favorite stand alone novel (my favorite series being the wheel of time)

ArthurMcStorm

Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 03:22:32 AM »
I've read almost all the Ravenloft novels I could find while I was in the Corps. Great books. when I found this server I about had a heartattack I love the whole story behind it and would have a fit of joy if my character ran into Tatianna LOL

Chaote

Vampire in the Mists
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 06:23:16 PM »
I'm reading Vampire in the Mists now and I love it!  It is very well written.  I usually don' t like 'game fiction' as such but this is great.  I started reading it as research for a Ravenloft NWN campaign, and now  I am just enjoying it in its own right.

Same with this PW - I orginally just played a bit as research but now I'm am hooked :)

Anyhow, Vampire in the Mists = highly recomended, and probably the other Ravenloft books  by Christie Golden (haven't read them yet but I plan to)

Runks

Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 08:55:22 PM »
Question does WotC still print the ravenloft books?

I have read most of them, back when they started manking novels for ravenloft. But  haven't seen anything new or any of the old ones on the bookselves.

Anyways the novels are great, well the ones I read are.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 01:23:07 AM »
Quote from: Runks
Question does WotC still print the ravenloft books?

I have read most of them, back when they started manking novels for ravenloft. But  haven't seen anything new or any of the old ones on the bookselves.

Anyways the novels are great, well the ones I read are.
The Ravenloft novels have mostly been out of print for quite some time, though they occaisionally reprint a random one here and there. I heard they have plans to reprint the Ravenloft novel Death of a Darklord, but unfortunately from what I hear that book is awful.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
Ravenloft Novels
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »
I've read quite a few Ravenloft novels. I would have to say the best ones are the ones that involve Strahd... Ones I can tell you right off that are very much so worth reading and you should try to download or something are..

I, Strahd : Memoirs of a Vampire
Vampire of the Mists
King of the Dead  
Lord of the Necropolis

And.. the one I enjoyed most of all..  I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin.
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard