You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Time in Ravenloft  (Read 3276 times)

evanyeung

• Undead Master
Time in Ravenloft
« on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:59 AM »
I'm asking this more for roleplaying reasons than anything else...

Does time move in Ravenloft the same way it does in other realms?  i.e.  if 2 years pass in Ravenloft, does 2 years pass in Faerun, or Krynn, or some other realm?  I've been RPing that it does, but I'd like some further clarification... it would shock the heck out of my PC to interview others recently come from Faerun, and to learn that 40 years has passed in his homeland while he's been here!
AKA Arinathos Valin

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
Time in Ravenloft
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »
As far as I know, the mist can capture you and another guy from Toril  at the same time, but you show up at different times in Ravenloft.
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

evanyeung

• Undead Master
Time in Ravenloft
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 02:57:09 PM »
But will an hour's time in Ravenloft equal an hour's time in Faerun?
AKA Arinathos Valin

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
Time in Ravenloft
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »
well I would say yes, but is that really relevant? Someone taken from Toril at year 40 might end up in ravenloft in year 60 and for that person it will feel like no time has passed.

Nobody gets out of Ravenloft, almost nobody atleast, and  the once that end up in Ravenloft could come from any time-period of their chosing.

You are wellcome to correct me Blue  :lol:
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Time in Ravenloft
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »
The Mists of Ravenloft can travel through time as well as space...thus they could go back in time (or maybe even forward through time) to bring someone to Ravenloft's present day.

So you technically could have someone from Faerun 100 years ago plucked up by the Mists and someone from present day Faerun plucked up and they might be deposited in Ravenloft from 15 years ago.

Likewise, those who manage to escape can sometimes arrive minutes after they left, even though years may have passed in Ravenloft...or they may even return before they left! We'd prefer, though, to have outlander characters be from the "present day" of the world they've left behind...it makes things easier to manage. :)

Generally speaking, the timeline is about the same as other worlds...I have a timeline by John W. Mangrum that I should dig out that had comparitive years of Ravenloft vs. Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance. However, with the Mists' ability to travel through time, the time in Ravenloft relative to other worlds is irrelevant. ;)

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002