Author Topic: hoods  (Read 5354 times)

Ralph_The_Pervert_Moogle

hoods
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:53:45 AM »
saw this on another server.. thought it would be good to post here...

1) hoods do not prevent a person from being recognised. i.e. they do not cover the face sufficiently for it to be a valid disguise. faces are still visable from the front, and up to 50 degrees to each side (from centre front).

2) the only exceptions are, if the character is in a deep shadow, and does not have illumination directed at his/her face (ultravision also negates this condition); OR if the character wearing the hood is being viewed from above.

3) if you want to play the disguise/anonymity card, wear something that offers full facial coverage.

Negnar

hoods
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:47:32 PM »
Agreed but unless your looking directly at them and thye are standing infront of you its unlikly that you will be able to recognise them........ Unless of course you've already spoken to them with their hood on and found out who they are, in that case you'd see them in their hood and know them (since not every is the same height and build after all  :wink: )

Marcaius

hoods
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 12:48:47 PM »
It's not hard to pull a hood up so that only your mouth and possibly your nose show, hoods do cast their own shadows afterall, and while I agree they do not equate as to a disguise, with a change of clothes they can serve as a "distance disguise" so as to make you unrecognizeable except from up close.  But it's just crappy 'cause if you're in disguise , ppl here seem to either tend toward metagaming or just straight out , genuinely, not noticing you're in disguise.

Dark Fey

• Dark Lord
hoods
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:13:54 PM »
Things to consider in regards to this:

1.  How many outlanders are there really in Borovia?
2.  Is the PC wearing the same clothing style day in and day out?
3.  How much time have you spent interacting with the hooded PC?
4.  Is the PC speaking, voice recognition may come into play.

If a PC wears a different outfit all the time and keeps there mouth shut, I would weigh more towards them not being recognizable.  Any other DM wish to comment so that we have a general consensus?

"What do you mean all my play things are broken…. I’m not done amusing myself with them yet!"

evanyeung

• Undead Master
hoods
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 04:44:20 PM »
Woudn't the mere attempt of wearing a hood and a mask when there is no reason arouse suspicion?  After all, I imagine that the police in our city would pay extra attention to the person wearing a ski-mask indoors or in warm weather....
AKA Arinathos Valin

Ralph_The_Pervert_Moogle

hoods
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 05:29:03 PM »
ah but what im tryin to say is that even under a hood your skin color will show... so all this time the drow have been wearin hoods  people could still see thir skin color

Motley

hoods
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »
The place is constantly raining and cold as hell. I don't think it's too suspicious to be wearing a hood. Well, it's based on Romania, so when I say cold as hell it's bloody cold as hell where I come from...

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
hoods
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »
just peer into their hoods.  8)

evanyeung

• Undead Master
hoods
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 08:42:32 PM »
Yeah, Motley... but in a nice warm tavern with the fireplace burning... and you're still wearing a hood?
AKA Arinathos Valin

Dark Fey

• Dark Lord
hoods
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 11:14:14 PM »
I am only covering interaction between PC in my post, the city guards are another matter entirely.... and yes, they routinely inspect people wearing hoods.

"What do you mean all my play things are broken…. I’m not done amusing myself with them yet!"

xXull

hoods
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 05:59:05 AM »
many of times I rp that my character's head is down so the hood covers her face. However I'd think since it's overcast, and a hood can create quite a great deal of shadows, that it would be harder to determine a drow's skin color unless the drow is looking up. (black skin under the hood might make the hood look bottomless unless the person is looking up so one can see the whites of his/her eyes?)

Gwegowy

• Dark Lord
hoods
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 06:39:05 AM »
People in such times might wear a hood constantly, if not for functionality, for fashion.  A hood is better than a mop of greasy unkept wiry hair, after all.

Saying too many people wear hoods is like saying too many people wear blue jeans.  You can dislike it till you go crazy, but that's not going to change anything.
"Men can make mistakes.  And men can do the most unholy things to gain their own ends, if they are convinced that their own way is right and that it is the only way...  Heaven defend me from such good men."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
hoods
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 07:01:13 AM »
Yeah, I wear a hood with my character because he feals vulnrable when he doesnt have it on.  I dont see people wearing hoods as suspicious unless there is a large group of them and they are dressed all in dark colors (and in a few other select situations).
I dont really see what the problem is, that people have been complaining about someone wearing a hood.  Hell I wear one In real life all the time lol.
If I were to get on a topic of something that shouldnt be done, then mine would prolly be the fact that alot of people walk around all day and night in fullplate armor.  Man I bet that gets tireing considering the weight.  I dunno *shrugs* just rambling I guess.  Oh well
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ralph_The_Pervert_Moogle

hoods
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 07:56:19 AM »
oh ive no problem with people wearing hoods .. i just wanted to point out that if a hooded person walks up to someone and has a 5 min conversaion the other person is bound to get a good look at the face under the hood

so like say someone makes a evil arse that killed the towns people .. and someone sees him and  writes up a report as to what his face looks like.... blue skin ...green eyes .. scar on chin or whatever

when that person talks to anyone thats seen the wanted poster thir gonna be able to notice reather the hooded person is the killer thats been going around..

and a big factor is that hoods dont hide skin colors so yeah i can see mabey a drow or something getting by with a hood in the middle of the night with no light around but the moment they go into a lit building  or are seen in daylight or set across from someone at a camp fire thir gonna see whats in the hood

easy way to fix that tho is wear a helmet or something with a closed in face

// fixxed alot of typos.. *note to self dont post when half asleep*

JipK

• Captain Awesome
  • Dark Power
  • Drugs are bad, Hmkaay
hoods
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »
those faces are just damn ugly  :P

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
hoods
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 04:53:55 PM »
I can't see why it's much of a discussion, not every person wearing a hood does so to be disguised.

And when someone actually is disguised he or she should be sure to keep his surroundings informed ooc that he is disguised or atleast his usual appearence is concealed through emotes
for example: "walks with his head lowered, letting the shadows of the hood hide most of his facial features" or something similar. And if a character is roleplaying being under disguise, I really think people should respect that and not ruin it ''just because a hood isn't a valible disguise''.  (ofcourse JUST a hood isn't much of a disguise)