Author Topic: Native Barovian and Gundarakite Role Play Guide  (Read 25142 times)

DM Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
Re: Native Barovian and Gundarakite Role Play Guide
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 06:54:46 AM »
one way to view Barovians cheering "for the Count" is to mask their True Feelings so they are not accused of being unsupportive of their Ruler out of fear, specially those in the Garda... aside from that, when your Barovian garda does something that provokes celebration and you want to cheer out a name, what are we supposed to say?

as stated by Blue they:

Hate their "current" Count

Hate the Cruel Burgomasters/boyars

Garda hate their general Vladimir Ionelus lol

so when my garda cheers, whos name am im "supposed" to call out? how do you know the players cheering for the Count are not cheering for the Renowned Strahd the First? hes really all they have in their history to be proud of. thats who i cheer for when Bachev or even Vonovich cry out in Victory, or when i Sign my Garda Log book. the memory of a true Patriot of his country.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:11:01 AM by Stravokov »

Current Plot: Undying

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Why would you say "For the Count!" in present-tense for someone who's believed to be dead for centuries? If someone were to cheer for that (although it's even odd to say that Barovians "cheer" for anything), a more appropriate comment would be like "for the memory of the First" or "in Strahd I's honor" or something along those lines. You'd definitely want to make sure people knew you were honoring the "only good Strahd" and not acting like you love "the Devil Strahd" if you'd want any respect among the populace.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

herkles

• Dark Power
    • Herkles's Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
Than blue I suppose when we say "for the count" in the garda logs we are doing it wrong and should not have that being stated?

Though stravkov's question is one I want to know as well.

Iconoclast

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »

"For Vallaki" might be the safest expression.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
"For the Count" Expressions were widely made popular in the days we had a plot justifying it. We also had Gavril, that for DP reasons, had a strong tie with the Count & Count adoration/fanatism.

The Count also visited the Citadel, and guard characters got to see him, some of us shaking his hand. The "For the Count", was justifiable, I did it with Chomski and I would do it all over again in the given context of that time. ;)

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »
Than blue I suppose when we say "for the count" in the garda logs we are doing it wrong and should not have that being stated?
It's not about "should" or shouldn't, right or "wrong." I'm not claiming this is "bad" roleplay.  It is, however, terribly inaccurate, and it's an inaccuracy that's been endlessly repeated over the years. Very, very few native Barovians would behave this way, yet the vast majority of players over the years have played their characters like this. I certainly would never tell someone that they can't roleplay their character that way, but it is a trend that I personally dislike.

herkles

• Dark Power
    • Herkles's Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
well i suppose what I am trying to ask is what should barovians be saying and writing in their logs as currently we do post things like 'in his name' or 'for the count' in our logs. I really want to know, as I try to keep as close to canon as possible, same thing with the warcries that a barovian might shout when they are in battle or something.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:30 PM »
For the Count! could just be rote tradition.
Things like that happen.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
Could the thing with logs be explained by the fear of him?

I mean I know if I massively feared my boss and there was a chance of a letter I wrote reading him and him not being very happy with what he saw in it, I'd want him to know how much I adore and respect him in it so I don't lose my job / house / freedom / blood / internal organs.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
Could the thing with logs be explained by the fear of him?

I mean I know if I massively feared my boss and there was a chance of a letter I wrote reading him and him not being very happy with what he saw in it, I'd want him to know how much I adore and respect him in it so I don't lose my job / house / freedom / blood / internal organs.

I would think most guards know that the Count doesn't much bother with the workings of their logs. (That'd be why he appoints a burgomaster and why the burgomaster appoints a Captain of the Guard.) I still think rote tradition is a plausible explanation. It's done cause it's been done so long, even though it's lost most of it's meaning.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »
I would imagine in a town like Vallaki, its more likely they would praise the city, or its leaders than the Big Boss

puckwolf

• is still rockin' the
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
  • Zephyr goat
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »
Back when I was a nublet guard everyone signed their reports that way and it just kind of continued.  I always looked at it as a formality more than anything else since no one really rps any love for the count.

Except for Holy Rage.  But he's a iadul fan boy.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »
we say it cause we are opressed, mihas doesnt like the count he is a guard for the people not his country not his count but he has to put it in to not look abnormal among the other guards.
see it as uber ass kissing.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
we say it cause we are opressed, mihas doesnt like the count he is a guard for the people not his country not his count but he has to put it in to not look abnormal among the other guards.
see it as uber ass kissing.
This is why I did it as Arcos. I saw it as a formality. And something he didn't go shouting. Just a formality in reports. Just like "Dear Name" in a letter. It's rote tradition. Arcos frankly had neither love nor hate for the Count. He had more important issues to attend to. Which, ironically, he feels far more free to deal with now that he's NOT a guard. Ask Larissa. :shifty:

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »
Let's say I wish my native to be a barkeeper in the Lady's. Who do I need to contact? Playing a native is a real pain, finding rp is not easy. I mostly bump into outlanders and mages, which often disrupts every kind of roleplay I'm trying to have with my gundarakite. Would love to see more natives, but as it is now, only the very few most dedicated rolls one, who are not bored roleplaying alone 70% of the time.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

herkles

• Dark Power
    • Herkles's Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »
Some superstions that might help and add flavor to your barovian gundarkite character

Barovia (Alex Miranda)
In Barovia, it is widely believed that the sighting of a raven around a building, or better yet, a raven larger than normal, is a good omen. It means the house is protected by a benevolent spirit. This has resulted in the raven being considered a loved animal, so it is not hunted for any reason. It is considered very good luck to have a raven make its nest on oneís house, or to carry a ravenís feather with oneself. Having a raven in the house as a pet is the best protection one can wish for. If a raven marks a house with its beak, it is said no evil can ever enter it again. Amulets of raven claws are an especially bad augury, since it entails the sacrificing of a raven. Killing a raven can banish all protecting spirits, and doom will surely enter the killerís life.

Barovia, Kartakass (Marie Klein-Laplante)
The people of these domains think that a very young babyís soul is easy prey for haunting spirits and other ghosts. To protect the young babyís pure and fragile soul, they keep a lit candle near the crib, night and day, until the baby is at least three months old.

Barovia (Matt Doyle)
The superstitious Barovians are known for their aversion to the dark. Lesser known, however, is their love of daylight. Daytime is when Barovians feel alive, when they feel like they actually have a chance against the darkness that lurks in their hearts and just over the horizon. This is one reason the Cult of the Morninglord has gained influence, however slightly. For these reasons, it is considered bad luck to sleep late. Barovians rise with the cockís crow in the morning and quietly go about their days until dusk. But he who sleeps even an hour past dawn is considered bewitched in some way.

the following superstitions are from the transylvanian guide to gothic earth but they fit barovia for the most part and can be used for barovia IMO

"When you leave your house in the morning, you must put your right foot outside first. To do otherwise invariably leads to trouble."
"If you have left a house, and remember something you left behind, donít go back to get it, or it will bring you bad luck all day."
"Meeting a priest first thing in the morning means you will have a bad day."
"Crossroads are both unlucky and dangerous, being infested with spirits"
"Donít cross the path of  a priest or you will sicken."
"Evil things cast no shadows."
"Stepping on dropped bread crumbs means the family faces famine."
"The newly dead cannot be left alone lest they become inhabited by evil spirits."
"Those who are born on a Saturday, especially if they are twins, are granted the power to see ghosts and spirits."

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 05:19:15 AM »
Bumping to clarify what the Barovian outlook on outlanders is and isn't.

A lot of people have an...exaggerated idea of how Barovians feel about outsiders. I've seen people act as if Barovians outright hate anyone not Barovian or that they hate being in the same place as them.

Here's what the books actually say about the people of Barovia:

The original "Black Box"
Barovians bear the burden of Strahd's yoke every day. As a result, they tend to be reserved, and surly or gruff. They keep to themselves and don't cause trouble, because troublemakers tend to end up dead -- or worse.

The 3rd Edition Campaign Setting
The people of Barovia may be ethnically diverse, but as a group they are a gruff, suspicious lot. They tend to be brusque with outsiders, and even the most amicable Barovian natives are no-nonsense and severe. The dour attitude that seems to dominate Barovia may be partially attributed to the rampant fear of the supernatural that permeates the realm.

Gazetteer I
Despite the sometimes fractious ethnic divisions in Barovia, the folk here share a common unifying element: a thoroughly frosty demeanor. Life under the stern gaze of Count Strahd has forged them into a harsh people who mind their own business (and who lack even an ounce of hospitality, I might add). Strangers are not welcomed, and questions are rebuffed with disregard and glares. Travelers will find their appearance, dress, accent, manner, and possessions scrutinized with suspicion by all.

[Azalin's note: "Ah, yes. I remember the Barovian glares well, though I doubt my little scholar's own frosty demeanor could possibly have improved matters."]

Utterly unapologetic for their backward mentality, Barovians have little use for the ways of more civilized realms. More often than not, their concerns revolve around simple matters of daily survival such as turnip crops and mountain storms.
It's important to note that this last one is written in-character by Azalin's scholar "S." who is known to be less than friendly herself (see Azalin's note).

Also note that none of these descriptions speak of outright hatred or violence against outsiders. The only time that behavior seems to come up is with known practitioners of magic.

As far as nonhumans go, Gazetteer I says:

Calibans occur with disturbing regularity in Barovia, though their births are just as often blamed on the influence of vampires, demons, wizards or hags. Halflings are found exclusively in the large villages of western Barovia, where they live in tiny ghettos. Dwarves are thought to dwell deep in the Balinoks, and wild elves purportedly stalk the Tepurich Forest. Rural Barovians who encounter such nonhumans are likely to consider them monstrous freaks or malicious fey.
Please note that the last sentence qualifies that rural Barovians feel that way about elves and dwarves.

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 06:10:16 AM »
Thank you for this clarification. I personally think the clarification has been long overdue.

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
We do have an "angry peasant" generic NPC for DMs to spawn. They're tougher than normal peasants and armed with pitchforks. ;)

I don't mean to necro, but you should give 'em all knockdown. -.o

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 12:50:28 AM »
Mea culpa for bumping a long-dead thread, but I was reading it because of DM Arawn linking it in the "For Gundarak" event.

Anyway, I was struck by this passage from Bluebomber4evr:

Here's some things I've been witnessing that I don't feel are particularly accurate for ethnic Barovians:

1. A love of Strahd: I've been seeing a lot of "for the Count!" and "By the Count!" stuff. It's way off the mark. The average Barovian despises Strahd as a tyrant first and possible necromancer second. They call him the "Devil Strahd." They hate the harsh taxes, and they know that he's lived far longer than any mortal man should. They believe his long life is attributed to dabbling in dark magic. While Barovians know that openly displaying their contempt for their tyrannical ruler is tantamount to suicide, they don't bother to make it seem like they adore him, either. As they have little interaction with Strahd, most of the tyranny in the realm is experienced by his vassals, the Burgomasters and Boyars, whom the peasantry believes are all cruel and schemers, eager to please Strahd at the expense of the common folk.

The people do love "Strahd the First" as the liberator from the Tergs, but no Barovian believes that this is the same man that rules them today. They believe Strahd XI is a degenerate and a disgrace to his ancestor, and really only obey him out of fear bordering on paranoia.

2. Nationalism: Calls to national pride are unlikely to emerge from most Barovians, and they would likely fall upon deaf ears if they did. Barovians serve in the military as a means of employment (it's moderately less miserable than being a landed serf), or are conscripted. Conscripted Barovians typically serve out of fear of death or worse. Most Barovians are simply concerned with day-to-day survival and subsistence, though they do also have a crippling fear of the supernatural.

So...I'm bumping because this kind of RP from natives--bare tolerance of Strahd--seems almost completely absent nowadays in my experience (his post was 5 1/2 years ago).

Just an FYI, for those who are playing Barovians.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:53:52 AM by Nicholas Kronos »
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Better Dread than Dead

• Dark Lord
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »
For what it's worth, I think most characters who are Barovian adhere to what's been written down here. At least, my experiences with them have demonstrated this sort of roleplay. The Barovians in the Vallaki garda have more pride for their city and in protecting it than they do in enforcing the Count's will.

Arawn

• CC, Developers, and
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »
For what it's worth, I think most characters who are Barovian adhere to what's been written down here. At least, my experiences with them have demonstrated this sort of roleplay. The Barovians in the Vallaki garda have more pride for their city and in protecting it than they do in enforcing the Count's will.

I've got to concur. I haven't seen many issues of this kind lately.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »
 Regarding the garda, I'll repeat this part of BB's:

Barovians serve in the military as a means of employment (it's moderately less miserable than being a landed serf), or are conscripted. Conscripted Barovians typically serve out of fear of death or worse. Most Barovians are simply concerned with day-to-day survival and subsistence, though they do also have a crippling fear of the supernatural.

BB does go onto say none of this is how a character *must* be played. Nevertheless, my point in reposting is--as the "FYI" was meant to communicate--that those RPing natives didn't have to play them as Strahd lovers.

I can also assure you that my character has heard both garda and non garda in game use the very phrase of which BB specifically complained ("for the Count"). That's why his post stood out to me.

I don't have screenshots  :lol:

But, for example, a recruitment poster from two months would tend to make newbies think that's the *correct* way to play garda:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=40986.0

That garda volunteer, rather than being conscripted, and that such appeals to national pride BB decries are what motivates them.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

EO

• Dungeon Master/Developer
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
Here's what the Gazetteer I has to say about this:

Loyal career soldiers or mercenaries in the direct service of Strand's vassals patrol most settlements in the Balinoks. In the occupied areas of western Barovia, the growing discontent and violence among ethnic Gundarakites amplify the need for a strong military presence. Accordingly, western burgomasters and boyars offer handsome stipends to lure ethnic Barovians down from the mountains and into their militias. Accordingly, the bulk of the soldiers in Gundarakite settlements are poor farmers or herders from the east, seeking a better life through military service. The Gundarakites are ostensibly controlled through the presence of these troops, as well as local edicts that forbid them from owning weapons larger than a common dagger.

A typical Barovian career soldier works in service to a burgomaster or boyar to enforce edicts and keep the peace. A typical Barovian militiaman is conscripted to supplement such soldiers in the Gundarak region.

Barovia has loyal career soldiers paroling the streets of the various settlements. Now, Barovians may not have much love for Strahd, but he remains the lord and boyars and burgomasters definitely show him respect. Guards don't have to be Strahd fanboys but they can be proud of their origin and want to serve their land. Some will be more than others.

Barovia has a a pretty solid army too; they did invade Gundarak, a land with more population and Strahd was a famous general.

I'd suggest you read up a bit on the topic if you want to judge others on the way they play their characters. If you need sources of information, just let me know and I'll refer you to the proper canon sources.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:17:22 PM by EO »