Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

ECL 2 on Aasimar and Tiefling

(1/18) > >>

Insignia:
Probably been discussed many times before, but I'm having a little trouble understanding the reasoning behind it. ECL 2 makes them significantly less powerful than a human except for VERY specific situations, likely involving heavy min/maxing. I've been playing an Aasimar since around February now and I guess it is perhaps my fault for truly not delving into it before character creation. I've heard similar situations involving Tieflings, but never played one myself, so can't vouch for it.

Aren't Aasimars supposed to be better off than humans? Is that not the reason why an application is required? Now that I am reaching mid-high levels (About to turn level 13 paladin) it's becoming very apparent that the trade off is very slated in the favor of human. While +2 wisdom and charisma seems like a worthy trade off, upon closer inspection and comparison to the human equivalent, it's pretty obvious that human is the stronger race of the two, especially at break points involving spell slots and extra attacks.

Paladins gain one 4th circle spell at level 15, and then an extra slot at 19 and 20, both of which are not accessible to Aasimar. So I'd be doomed to only ever having one fourth circle spell slot unless I took 18 Wisdom (16 base before Aasimar) which would certainly gimp a paladins other stats given how thinly stretched their stats already are. Maybe it's isn't the ECL that is the true problem, but that certain classes are a bit end game heavy. Personally I'm having trouble finding a reason why they would be ECL 2 over ECL 1 like in PnP and most other servers. ECL 1 would certainly not make them overpowered, as they would still lose the stat point at level 20, and also typically another highest level spell slot, base attack bonus, and saves for essentially every class in the game, but perhaps someone else can shed some light on it? I'm certainly not angry about it, just confused and wanting to better understand and maybe open the discussion for others who are perhaps feeling the same.

Thanks!

APorg:
I think one of the issues is that Aasimar still get the extra skill per level and feat as Humans do. Thus they are technically stronger than PnP Aasimar.

With EE it might be possible to remake them without the extra Skills and Feat, thus making them true to their PnP stats and lowering the ECL to 1.

Iridni Ren:
I've argued for flattening ECL in general, rather than it being this huge 2 level chunk to deal with, and won't repeat all the details of that argument here.

But basically I think ECL should be replaced with XP penalty, such as earning XP at some percentage of normal--for example, ECL 1 = 90 percent, ECL 2 = 80 percent. Whatever number seems balanced for the given race.

That way ECL races could still have some hope of reaching the top level, but more importantly, they wouldn't have such hell at the beginning when to get XP they have to deal with foes basically twice their current level.

At 2nd level, for example, anything that will give 4th level XP, can one-shot you. This is less of a problem later on when you can get some HP under your belt, but in a generally mob-based dungeoning system, you won't keep avoiding that single hit forever.

Mellybelly:
There's already an xp penalty while leveling, on top of a reduced maximum level.

McNastea:
Well... sort of. I believe Iridni's point is if it were as simple as a x% of xp penalty then you could still gain xp in lvl 2 dungeons as a lvl 2 ECL 2 subrace, you'd just gain less. As it is, you are technically lvl 4 when you are level 2, meaning most of the monsters that you would start out against at lvl 2 aren't actually going to give you xp at all. It's not really an xp penalty in that sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version