Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

Zen Archery

(1/5) > >>

Bizarro:
I took the zen archery feat with the hope it would affect also the ranged touch attacks of the spells, sadly it doesn't :( . I'm playing a cleric and i hoped to be able to spam negative energy rays but i actually found myself missing so many of them that i ended up doing more damage with a normal crossbow. Now, correct me if i'm wrong but for what i see ranged touch attacks aren't that damaging, they are fine and fun (if you ask me) but they are not crazy damage one shots that kills everything if they hit (except for disintegrate, but that one has a saving throw, also it's a only arcane spell, so a character casting it will rarely use zen archery,also so it is closer to a death effect, and i don't think it's a very powerful spell, but that's a different topic). I don't think it would be OP to have zen archery affect spells and ranged touch attacks, even lore wise: if i use my deep perception of the surrounding to aim a bolt or an arrow i'll probably be able to do that even with searing light.
I'd like to add that in the Complete warrior v3.5 zen archery does in fact affect ALL ranged attacks, as it says "You can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier when making a ranged attack roll" any kind of ranged attack roll. Now, don't get me wrong, i don't think we should take what's in the manuals as always balanced or always good but, of curse, i think that in this case the feat is good as it is on the manuals.
It shouldn't hurt the game to have zen archery affect all ranged attacks also because a ray spamming cleric isn't game breaking at all, yes they are rouch attacks, but they are very limited and they drain your healing potential, a self buffing zen archer will still be a stronger build, doing more damage for a longer time and that's a build that is actually possible in the game.
Clearly i'm bringing out this topic because i'm personally interested in it and i'd love to have my wisdom modifier on my ranged spell attacks, that's how i intended the character after all.
What do you think?

StellarNope:
Unfortunately it's probably one of those things that the devs only made an allowance in the code just for ranged weapons and likely did not open it for others to apply it more broadly. There's a lot about NWN's core mechanics that are just not changeable by servers. The Enhanced Edition is trying to open up more possibilities but it's an ongoing, slow process.

ASymphony:
Also it should be added that there is a distinct chance that this won't be among the things that can be/will be made accessible. This "opening up of things" has been frequently overstated but only very little has actually happened, this is not something hopes should be placed on in any way until it is actually announced.

Arawn:

--- Quote ---Also it should be added that there is a distinct chance that this won't be among the things that can be/will be made accessible. This "opening up of things" has been frequently overstated but only very little has actually happened, this is not something hopes should be placed on in any way until it is actually announced.
--- End quote ---

This is actually something we have the ability to do now, albeit a little hackily, and EE made it significantly easier, so don't get too pessimistic, either. ;) As to whether we'll do it, I'll leave that question to wiser heads than my own.

BraveSirRobin:
I think it makes a lot of sense. I also might suggest that there be a feat Wizards/Sorcs could take it allow them to use their Int/Cha modifiers for "focused spellcasting" or in otherwords, use INT/CHA for their touch attacks, to level it out as well. Those spells don't get used nearly enough without someone True Striking beforehand because it's just unreliable as a whole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version