You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Exploration XP?  (Read 1480 times)

Voxx

• New to the Mists
Exploration XP?
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
I saw something similar to this about adding more RP "Landmarks" to gain XP from, but the were lore oriented.
While that is awesome, because I would love the opportunity to learn about Ravenloft, I am also interested in some sort of Exploration XP if that is something that can be done?

This server is pretty incredible and there's a lot of stuff to look at, and really, I have had an amazing time exploring it. But it would be nice to have exploration xp for the first time I am in an area so I can continue to have my character press onward!

I know it is a RP server, but sometimes I do get in the mood where I just want to log in and roleplay my character cruising around seeing new things because I feel like I've only seen a very small fraction of the server.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:41:50 PM by Voxx »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Exploration XP?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 05:33:58 PM »
We considered it dev-wise but right now there’s no efficient way to track unique area visits for a PC. You could store the area’s tag as a variable but we have well over a thousand areas and the more variables on a PC the more it impacts performance.

Voxx

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
Oh, I see. I did not realize it works that way.
I have not programmed for nwn. Is it possible to do the opposite way around? A tag with a unique identifier for pc's and if they get close enough to a particular object their tag is recorded instead?

Or alternatively, if the player is alone or less than a specific number of players, perhaps that would qualify them to get "exploration" xp?

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »
That would actually be worse... because the list you have to check for an area when someone enters it would keep growing and growing... the tag of inactive character would still be in there.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »
If this is desired, could it be tied to the floaty text being triggered?

It seems in my experience (and I could be completely wrong), but when I enter an area for the first time after a reset, some text will show only the first time I enter. For example, in the ML Temple, you are told the Temple could use some upkeep. I don't *think* that happens every time you enter, but only if you haven't entered since the last reset.

The amount could be made small and be available each reset instead of only the very first time the area was entered by the PC.

I'm not saying I support this idea or think it should be a priority, only offering a way it might be possible to implement.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:37:39 AM »
If this is desired, could it be tied to the floaty text being triggered?

It seems in my experience (and I could be completely wrong), but when I enter an area for the first time after a reset, some text will show only the first time I enter. For example, in the ML Temple, you are told the Temple could use some upkeep. I don't *think* that happens every time you enter, but only if you haven't entered since the last reset.

That'd lead to everyone running around trying to trigger the "floaty text" after each server reset, which is by itself problematic due to potential abuse.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
I'm not invested in this at all, but the reward could be small and only for text of points of interest. My suggestion is based on whether devs think this is worthwhile as a concept, yet resource limits make it difficult to do. As far as farming and grinding goes, the behaviour you describe doesn't seem substantively different from taking goods back and forth on an ox for XP and gold.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »
I'm not invested in this at all, but the reward could be small and only for text of points of interest. My suggestion is based on whether devs think this is worthwhile as a concept, yet resource limits make it difficult to do. As far as farming and grinding goes, the behaviour you describe doesn't seem substantively different from taking goods back and forth on an ox for XP and gold.

The "floaty text" are the messages from descriptive triggers; they don't only go off once, and even if they did, wouldn't persist between resets without, as was mentioned, some heavy-duty scripting. The dev team's not against the concept per se, per our recent discussions we just don't see a way to implement it efficiently and would rather, in any case, focus on lore placeables like the ones in the ML crypts.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
The "floaty text" are the messages from descriptive triggers; they don't only go off once, and even if they did, wouldn't persist between resets without, as was mentioned, some heavy-duty scripting.

*shrugs* As I mentioned in the example of the ML Temple but also walking down Vallaki's streets and approaching the Vistani Camp, there do seem several examples of this in game. I don't think I hear the Vistani revelry each time I approach the campfire, for example--only the first time after each reset.

If that has required heavy-duty scripting , perhaps that's why not all floaty text behaves the same way. At the Tser Pool, for example, I think you can pass back and forth over an area and make the text reappear. But I certainly didn't think all floaty text worked that way.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 07:12:03 AM »
More lore placeables is a great idea.  Anything to give skills like lore and influence an actual concrete reason to invest in opens up more opportunities for the kinds of characters who would benefit most from them.

Higher-level areas should have harder lore DC's and give more experience, though.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski