You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Beamdog Client Setup  (Read 1541 times)

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
Beamdog Client Setup
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »

I just went ahead and purchased the game from Beamdog, but it appears I'm unable to run the Beamdog Client on Windows Xp. 

Should I go for a refund and put my Potm days completely behind me, or are there some simple solutions? 

Dukica

• Undead Slayer
Re: Beamdog Client Setup
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »
You could try playing it via Steam? You get a Steam code along with your Beamdog purchase.

And yeah, they no longer support Windows XP. (I'd dig up the post but it's obvious.)

RickDeckard

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:06:27 PM »
...You could upgrade to a new version of Windows that actually has supported system updates by Microsoft and not a huge security risk in the making?

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:45:04 PM »

I've no experience with, nor knowledge of, upgrading operating systems.  What should I know before attempting it on my old, faithful laptop here, and how does one go about it?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 03:53:56 AM »

I've no experience with, nor knowledge of, upgrading operating systems.  What should I know before attempting it on my old, faithful laptop here, and how does one go about it?

Woah, welcome back - you've been missed!

In general, it's recommended to not use Windows XP anymore no matter what, since it's not really safe at this point. Unless you want to buy a license for a newer version of Windows, you could try the free linux based Ubuntu - it's much easier to install and use than you might think (and if you are in doubt about anything, just ask here or try a quick google). Get it from here:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

And follow the instructions here for install:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0 (needs a USB memory stick with at least 4gb)

or

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-burn-a-dvd-on-windows#0 (DVD)

You can even use the USB method to load up Ubuntu without installing it to give it a quick spin.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »

Thanks Soren.  I'm still in awe that Potm continues, and it wouldn't have without you.

As for updating my operating system, how much does purchasing a license for a newer version typically run, and which version would you recommend? 

With there being an option that is free, the linux based Ubuntu, are there good reasons why I should consider buying a licence instead?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
If going for Windows, just go for the most basic version of Windows 10. Buying a license costs 120$ at Microsoft, but you should be able to find it at around half of that elsewhere online.

The main advantage of using Windows over Ubuntu is that you will feel more familiar with it. There's also a range of software that only runs on Windows, but if it's an old laptop, that's probably not going to be overly relevant.

My recommendation will probably still be to give Ubuntu a go first, since it's free.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »
I love Ubuntu, but it can be a bit troublesome somtime, specially for WiFi drivers.... I don't know how much hours I spent trying to get the driver for mine last time >.<

I would definitly give it a try though, it's free and I think it runs much smoother than windows personally.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness