Within the swirling Mist (IC) > Biographies

The 523rd Gambit

(1/1)

bestbardna:
OOC Note: This will be a shared biography between all members of the 523rd Gambit.

Entry One

Name: Verent Ogders
Profession: Logistician
We've arrived in Barovia, just like we thought we would. At least some of us have. So far the only one I've been able to link up with is Lopi, but I'd rather have him than some of the other Gambit members. I never understood why Mistbound Gambits received so little information about the place. The Old Man says that "Those who know too much of the mists are denied by them". Sounds like a heap of bullshit fabricated by the brass to me. So let's focus on what we do know.

Barovia: This is where most outlanders get deposited when they get swept up by the mists. Those who use the portals in Sigil (Like us), seem to end up wherever the mists want us to go.
The Mists: Something that's ever-present in these lands, and is thought to be malevolent in nature.
The Languages: Maybe the only actually useful thing given us in our dossiers. Balok was easy to learn. The nuances between High Mordentish and Low Mordentish were not.

That's it. That's what we know about the lands we've been dropped into. I suppose the only thing to do now is to carry out our mission and try to find our missing comrades. Barring that, we'll need to recruit other outlanders or a few friendly locals.

Mission Objectives:

Establish a mobile base of operations: This one's as done as it's going to be for a bit. With only Lopi and I, a couple of tents and bedrolls is all we really need.
Link up with other Gambits: I haven't heard anything about any other Gambits here. They're likely dead or hiding.
Compile up-to-date bestiary dossiers: This may take some time, as our progress in research and combating these creatures has been retarded due to our reduced numbers
Self Sufficiency Operations: If we had the whole Gambit, this would be easy. As things are now, we can keep ourselves healthy, fed, and in enough coin to fulfill our basic needs like weapon maintenance, supplies, and alchemical research. I'd be less apprehensive if we had our apothecary and smith, however.
The Lesser War: We're supposed to be defending the civilians we come across from the depredations of bandits, lycanthropes, undead, and other "monsters", but our progress is stunted due to our lack of numbers.
The Greater War: Lopi and I have been assisting with gathering supplies for the people of Port-au-Lucine for the coming war. We've donated food and medical supplies to the good people organizing the aid effort (details will be in the ledger), but we'll need to find a supplier of non-necessities as well. In particular the children will require distraction during a siege situation. I'll have to find a toymaker. Perhaps the Vistani can assist there.

I never thought this assignment would be easy, but I thought at the very least I'd have my brothers and sisters with me. Their absence fills me with dread, and I can only hope that Lopi doesn't know just how frightened I am that we aren't going to make it. Hopefully the Ledgers and Dossiers will keep me busy enough to keep my mind off it.

bestbardna:
Entry Two

Still no sign of our comrades. Lopi and I have resigned ourselves to recruiting from the other Ilmateri that found themselves here. We've got our eyes on a few prospects, we're hoping to put them through the paces in the coming days, see if they've got the right stuff. We've a few spots that need to be filled if we're to be at maximum strength. I'll list them here.

Templar: Preferably a Paladin or Soldier, this individual will need to be able to stand on the front lines with or without blessings in order to defend the rest of our number. Lopi is already filling one of these positions, but we'd like one more.

Priest: Obviously, a Cleric is needed here. Preferably a dedicated healer with some augmentation spells to keep the men well warded and in good health. If they can brew potions, even better.

Shadow Warden: A Shadow Warden is a Paladin or Ranger who specializes in taking down the undead. A Paladin is more efficacious at this particular role, as the blessings available to them are much more potent.

Stalker: This role is best suited to thieves and rogues, as they need to be able to remain hidden while searching for traps and springing any locks we may come across.

Archivist: A fanciful name for Wizards, this man (or woman) must be able to provide us with powerful augmentations and artillery, whichever is required. Any alchemical experience is also a plus.

Hopefully we'll be able to find goodly folk to fill these roles.

bestbardna:
Entry Three

Success. We've managed to recruit a powerful priest to our cause.

Morgan Sollar is easily my superior in experience and combat acumen, but he trusts my counsel in the arts of war and subterfuge. He has proven himself a stalwart ally in the Lesser War, but it remains to be seen if his commitment will extend so readily to our primary objective.

I travelled with him extensively before extending the invitation to join the Gambit, but he took to it readily and wears our uniform with pride.

Our skillsets compliment eachother's well, with my spells and tactical analysis augmenting an already formidable warrior.

Lopi grew soft in his absence, to the point where I am able to best him in single combat. A fact which I'm sure left him quite embarrassed. 

He's agreed to undergo remedial training, and Morgan will be a great help in this regard.

MrSmiley:
Entry Four

Name: Morgan (Sollar)
Profession: Cleric of Ilmater
Self-reflection is good for the soul and mind, so I imagine it's about time I sat down and actually quilled down my thoughts. I met the Gambit roughly about a month ago now, joined them perhaps three - to say I was happy and relieved to find brothers of the faith would be an understatement. I think I would be lying to myself if I said that my faith and... my entire being hasn't been slowly ebbing away with how long I've been in this thrice-damned plane; which I reason to be nearing three years by now. By joining the Gambit I feel like I've regained a piece of myself that I never thought I'd scrape back, I feel calm, at home, knowing I've brothers watching over me. Moreover I feel the call of my God once again, louder like before - though I can scarcely remember what it was like back in Faerún now.

I couldn't ask for better friends, or comrades in battle with those I've found in the Gambit. I can only describe our fighting style together as one thing: efficient. Better than this my brothers share the same humour as I did with my comrades at home; I do not think you can see the suffering that we have and remain so stoic still, without losing your humanity. Morale is high whenever we are together, between the constant ribbing and jokes that I missed so dearly; after a month it's almost as if we've known one another a year, seeing combat together will do that to you I suppose. We still need a couple more roles filled to be at full fighting strength but I'm sure we'll find people to join the cause with time.

I have now a task, an objective and purpose. Something to fight for alongside my brothers - the peoples of this land suffer on an unimaginable scale every single day, one needs only to look upon the beggars, the cutthroats and crumbling homes that litter every street to see that. I will fight the Lesser War, I will toil against the Greater - or die trying, as Ilmater wills it.

Signed,
Morgan, Cleric of Ilmater.

bestbardna:
Entry Five

Our numbers grow as quickly as our prowess, and I've scarcely had time to write a report. We received some small recognition in a newspaper in Port-au-Lucine for our assistance to the aid effort, Lopi in particular seemed very pleased to have been featured. Of course, not everything has been going quite as smoothly for the Gambit (See below incident report). We've added a new member to our ranks, a scout named <REDACTED>, but he goes by the moniker of Crow.

Crow has proven himself a capable addition to the Gambit, able to disarm even the deadliest of traps with a grace and flair I have not seen since coming to this dismal place. He is fleet of foot and smart as a whip, which has saved our skins on more than one occasion. Several others have applied to join our ranks, and their applications are being weighed carefully.

Incident Report #523-16
Subject: Rinthia (Red)
Order Type: General Order 23

Knight-Chaplain Morgan Sollar reported to the Gambit that a child had been abducted from the Orphanage in Vallaki and killed in a particularly gruesome way. The child's throat had been slit and it's blood drained into a tub, before it's limbs were twisted in a grotesque mockery of what I'm sure Rinthia considered "Art".

Morgan later found the child, and through the efforts of himself and two other powerful clerics, managed to restore the child to life. The child in question gave a description of her attacker, including clothing and several distinguishing features. It matched Rinthia quite exactly. Morgan began investigating the matter deeper, and found that Rinthia was missing from her abode in the Drain during the time of the abduction, and did not return until shortly afterward. She claimed to have been in a Pirate's tavern in Blaustein, but the word of thieves and murderers are hardly credible.

The fight was over quickly. She may have cast first, but Morgan cast last.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version