Author Topic: Remove the RP XP penalty?  (Read 4514 times)

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Remove the RP XP penalty?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:01 AM »
I think there are two different definitions here that are getting confused. From a broad perspective, it's definitely a "population hub", being a village, on a trade road, etc. When we say player hub, however, it means something specific to us--it's a place we (the dev team) designate as a place to encourage players to gather, where we try and focus access to crafting, merchants, banks, and so on, so that players have an easier time finding RP simply by being present in one of these hubs. By your definition, yes, it is a hub; by the dev team's, it isn't.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
I think there are two different definitions here that are getting confused. From a broad perspective, it's definitely a "population hub", being a village, on a trade road, etc. When we say player hub, however, it means something specific to us--it's a place we (the dev team) designate as a place to encourage players to gather, where we try and focus access to crafting, merchants, banks, and so on, so that players have an easier time finding RP simply by being present in one of these hubs. By your definition, yes, it is a hub; by the dev team's, it isn't.

Then why is it in the module if it exists only as a vague place of interest?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »

I mean, by that perspective, why is anything in the module?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 09:58:27 AM »

I mean, by that perspective, why is anything in the module?

To be visited and be used?

Areas that never see use in turn are not fulfilling any purpose, and something that might benefit re-visiting and improvement. It is not expected for someone to go through the effort of making something only for it not to receive use. I think players asking for/suggesting VoB to be supported as a hub location are seeing it as a place that has the potential to fill void made by the push of higher levels out of lower level areas. Why shouldn't it be one?

We as players are basically being told 'stay together in  this (low level) place where rp is easily accessible because this is what we support.' But we are also told 'no. you can't be in the hub because you are too strong. Go somewhere else with completely different rp requirements and considerations.'

VoB COULD be a secondary hub for the players stuck in that spot where they're too strong for Vallaki (and are encouraged to leave) but are not appropriate for Port (the only other major hub). The mist camp isn't really a good hub because it is only two maps large and is  clearly build to exist as more of a liminal space.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »
Please take the discussion about alternative hubs to a more appropriate topic. The topic here should be the current RP XP penalty.  Keyser was apparently one of the minority who voted to keep the RP system as is, but he gave no reason for his vote. Instead his post here indicates he believes something does need to be changed as the current alternative hub doesn't work for him. But that's a distinct issue.

(This is again why I believe trying to boost XP in certain arbitrary areas won't work; we all will never agree on which areas those should be.)

In contrast, the slight modification I've suggested  should make even the minority who support the current system like Keyser happy because it amplifies the effect they say the current system creates.

When the PC is of sufficiently high level and has been RPing in an area appropriate to her level--instead of being penalized as she would be for RPing in a low-level area--she receives an XP boost.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Keyser

• New to the Mists
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »
I had like a nine paragraph reply but Irinidi's post before mine gave me cause to stop and keep this on topic. So why do I think the RP system should be the same? Because I love the separation of High Levels and Low Levels. Certain zones like Deganwy sure, take it away but I say leave it in the general areas around Vallaki. Then I say remove it in the VoB Areas and make that a new hub. Why? Because faction people who outlevel Vallaki can still remain in country where they can still participate in faction RP out of the village.

Example, a high level ML person could still operate out of VoB within the church and could hold the meetings / rp they used to hold in Vallaki, over there instead. They could still be available for larger plots and rp because they are still right there in Barovia. That same high level ML priest who outgrows Vallaki still needs to leave the low levels to their devices but without abandoning their own RP stories. They certainly wouldn't have any IC reason to move to Port or Hazlan but they could definitely move to VoB and if it were more of a Hub they wouldnt really skip a beat. There are plenty of characters who would fit this same kind of situation, such as wilderness ranger types, some vagabonds, really anyone who would never fit in living in Not Egypt or Not France.

Most people have to go out of their way to make characters who fit in around those regions where as like 90% of the rest of the characters IG just have no real IC reason to ever go there other than for adventuring. But they could easily come up with reasons to justify moving to VoB when they outgrow Vallaki. This is why I say keep the RP XP as is to get higher levels out of Vallaki, but also allow for some possibility of opening up discussion to make VoB the 'secondary hub' for high levels who still want to play RAVENLOFT but also want xp for their RP.

Port A Lucine as a Hub? Too Niche, too modern. Nice but very very limited in terms of characters who would fit.

Hazlan as a Hub? Too Niche, not much to do in the surrounding mega countryside and very limited in terms of characters who would fit.

Har'Akiir as a Hub? Again too niche and though full of content, only really appropriate for specific playstyles.

Mist Camp as a Hub? Not terrible, but also as its 100% Vistani Owned that means no conflict or danger what so ever while you're there which makes for a boring place to conduct RP imo. Makes a good Safe Zone but thats the only thing I'd use it for.

Vob as Hub? Gets high levels out of Vallaki but doesnt cut them off from their RP which I think will also help people to be more okay with the reduced RP XP in Vallaki areas. Has dungeon content for characters levels 8ish to 14ish. Is full of lore. Next to major trade/travel routes. One of most immersive sections of the server. Perfect amount of doom and gloom for gothic horror fans who have outgrown vallaki. Throw in a Kinship building and an RvT building and you got yourself a logical next step for character progression.

So in closing, my suggestion is: Keep RP XP as is. Make VoB High Level Hub.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:54:15 AM by Keyser »

Keyser

• New to the Mists
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

In contrast, the slight modification I've suggested  should make even the minority who support the current system like Keyser happy because it amplifies the effect they say the current system creates.

When the PC is of sufficiently high level and has been RPing in an area appropriate to her level--instead of being penalized as she would be for RPing in a low-level area--she receives an XP boost.

Sorry missed addressing this bit. I have no complaints with adding xp boost to level appropriate areas if its to amplify getting high levels out of vallaki area. I just feel we're spread out a lot and should try to do this while also finding a way to keep everyone in relative rp distance hence my grandstanding in favor of VoB. I feel like with this route, everybody wins.