You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: More RP XP "Landmarks"  (Read 1347 times)

chuuch1

• Undead Slayer
More RP XP "Landmarks"
« on: May 03, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
With all the talk about RP XP going on lately it got me thing about some of the different "Landmarks" that you can get XP from.  I'm talking about the two statues in the first level of the morning lord crypt, the gravestones above the Terg ruins, The statue in the Terg ruins, The Savage sign in the werewolf cave.  There may be a few more, but not too many.

My suggestion is to add more of these throughout the server.  Abandoned campsite, carvings on a rock face, unmarked grave out in the woods, stone formation in the woods, animal tracks etc.  Especially in the vast open areas where there really isn't anything.  Would be a good way for players to gain XP without having to dungeon.  Gain XP by exploring, there are soooo many areas that are basically pointless to go to.  This would give people a reason to go out and explore a bit more.   

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: More RP XP "Landmarks"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
I always did like those things and thought they were fun ways of making Lore useful beyond identifying magical items. The abandoned fishing lodge thingy with the fun basement could be a nice place to include Lore XP bonuses and more detailed info on what went on.

Actually, more skill check bonuses would be fun elsewhere too. Maybe you can get extra info from an inscription about magic with a decent Spellcraft. Maybe tracks give you more detail about what kind of critter passed with a good Animal Handling score. I feel like I've seen somethings like this but it would be nice to use these skills of ours a little more frequently outside of combat and DM quests.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »
Those are Lore XP things—and it’s up to devs to insert them. I know I am putting several in the new dungeons I’m working on for once we transfer to EE.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
It really would’ve great to see more of those. I don’t think I’ve seen any outside of western Barovia

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:23:10 PM »
Those are Lore XP things—and it’s up to devs to insert them. I know I am putting several in the new dungeons I’m working on for once we transfer to EE.

That sounds good! Is there anything keeping some of the older locations from getting minor things like these inserted into them?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
No, not really, although they aren’t a lot of XP so revising an area just to add them might not be top of the to-do list.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
I like them as well, but better make them someplace remote or where you have to fight to get there, or folks will just "swing by" for the free xp. I know I would be tempted to.

And there is also a hidden path where you can get xp. where? you will have to explore ;)
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »
I like them as well, but better make them someplace remote or where you have to fight to get there, or folks will just "swing by" for the free xp. I know I would be tempted to.

And there is also a hidden path where you can get xp. where? you will have to explore ;)

It's only once per reboot anyways. If nothing else, it gets you to stretch your legs and wander to places you probably wouldn't normally.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 01:09:21 AM »
Dont knock 'em.  Those things got me to level 13 when I was going through a loner patch.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 03:09:45 AM »
I always liked those and thought it was strange that you get so many and then suddenly they stop completely. I'd love to see them in dungeons, perhaps not all but some at least, in every region of the game!
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 03:34:54 AM »
Dont knock 'em.  Those things got me to level 13 when I was going through a loner patch.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But to echo the rest, I do rather like them and I think they would be a great addition to both existing and upcoming areas. I'm wondering if there are similar systems that can be implemented to give people small, alternative sources of XP...
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders