You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Double RP XP areas  (Read 5878 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Double RP XP areas
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Well that's consistent, but the consequences might be counter-productive if it leads to a bigger level divide between casual players who don't want to dungeon, and those who can afford to dungeon every day.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Zero Darkon Thirty

• New to the Mists
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »
Not much to be added. Great idea.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:41 PM »
I'm actually coming around to the belief that only low levels should get RP XP at all. New characters and new players need the incentive to roleplay/network and could use the extra gift of RP XP. Everyone else should be roleplaying anyways.

Populations respond to incentives and penalties. If you say "the only way to get xp is to dungeon" then you will see more people spending more time dungeoning. If you make RP XP a viable way to level without dungeoning, you will have fewer people who feel the need to dungeon in order to do things.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »
No, I am not encouraging that at all. I am encouraging congregations of all PCs to roleplay elsewhere, indoors, with reduced RP XP going to higher levels in certain instances.
[/quote]
I'm actually coming around to the belief that only low levels should get RP XP at all. New characters and new players need the incentive to roleplay/network and could use the extra gift of RP XP. Everyone else should be roleplaying anyways.

Populations respond to incentives and penalties. If you say "the only way to get xp is to dungeon" then you will see more people spending more time dungeoning. If you make RP XP a viable way to level without dungeoning, you will have fewer people who feel the need to dungeon in order to do things.

Please, no. Honestly not all of us like to dungeon. I abhor dungeons as many of you know, no matter who well built they are, it is like pulling teeth to get me to go to one. I have to prep mentally and get all kinds of worked up and even then it's because I want xp. I don't mind leveling slowly with RP. It's the journey, not the destination, but also my destinations aren't found in dungeons, ether. I am still suffering from a migraine I picked up last night for dungeoning. RP XP should be available to anyone who RPs.

The difference is the tone. If it were truly a penalty, you'd be suffering for your continued roleplaying. Since it's not that at all, you (and many others) are just not happy that you aren't get free XP for essentially doing nothing. I don't have much sympathy for that.

This is a little insulting to those of us who are story tellers rather than dungeon grinders. I don't think I am essentially doing nothing, nor should anyone feel that the choice to RP over grind is looked down upon.

I like the suggestion, Aprog. It will draw people to the places that are largely ignored or abandoned. There should be a night life in the various taverns, and if we were drawn to the city to honor curfew, that would create many rp opportunities to merit the increase of XP. Incentives go a long way and this is a minor bump.

Another thing I had wondered, when I was first new the guy who showed me around said that RP XP increases due to the number of people participating in RP, up to 8 players. So, is that true or was that changed? I seem to remember feeling like it was easier to progress in groups that way. 
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
Another thing I had wondered, when I was first new the guy who showed me around said that RP XP increases due to the number of people participating in RP, up to 8 players. So, is that true or was that changed? I seem to remember feeling like it was easier to progress in groups that way.

Actually, I would love to see a breakdown of how this system actually works. This is one of many systems I wish we could have a Behind-the-Curtain explanation of on the wiki, along with how the xp cap works. In both cases I've gotten such wildly different information from different people that I'm convinced that I have to chalk it all up to witchcraft.

Sinful Mystic

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
I've been thinking about this and I am starting to think upping the rp xp in Port could give it the much needed shot in the arm it needs to be a real Hub. You'd probably want to reverse the xp lever cap so people aren't rushing there at lvl 2  to rp power level (isn't that a funny concept?). If this were done it would make up for the nerfed xp in Vallaki big time.
Celynna of Elevashe
Erika Tinescu

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 02:15:41 PM »
I've been thinking about this and I am starting to think upping the rp xp in Port could give it the much needed shot in the arm it needs to be a real Hub. You'd probably want to reverse the xp lever cap so people aren't rushing there at lvl 2  to rp power level (isn't that a funny concept?). If this were done it would make up for the nerfed xp in Vallaki big time.

Honestly, if people rushed to port and leveled up solely through xp, would that really be a bad thing? I have a hard time imagining a character that I'd want to play in port that wasn't a character who wasn't designed specifically to be in port, in which case I wouldn't want to spend the first months of my play-time on that character hanging around Vallaki or having to power-grind to get high enough level to leave.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »
Pls gib Double RP XP Port.

Make Dementlieu Great Again

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »
Pls gib Double RP XP Port.

Make Dementlieu Great Again

.. On second thought, maybe not.  :twisted:

Sinful Mystic

• Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »

Honestly, if people rushed to port and leveled up solely through xp, would that really be a bad thing? I have a hard time imagining a character that I'd want to play in port that wasn't a character who wasn't designed specifically to be in port, in which case I wouldn't want to spend the first months of my play-time on that character hanging around Vallaki or having to power-grind to get high enough level to leave.

I'll assume you meant solely through rp.

If you want to take your concept to Port at level two nothing is stopping you assuming you can physically get there and get wagon money or tag along. Why are we giving you extra xp to send your 2nd level there? Won't normal rp xp do?

We want to lure high levels away from Barovia, not everyone.

You do bring an interesting idea to mind. It might be nice to have the option to start in your country of origin if you are a Core based character.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 05:00:32 PM by Sinful Mystic »
Celynna of Elevashe
Erika Tinescu

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
I think you can already ask a DM to port you to Port :)

If that's where your PC should start.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Sinful Mystic

• Undead Master
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »
I think you can already ask a DM to port you to Port :)

If that's where your PC should start.

Smarty pants :P

Celynna of Elevashe
Erika Tinescu

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 06:01:39 AM »
Spoiler: show

I'd rather have places like Port given Double RP XP. On our current system, I was roleplaying in the Gendarmerie of all places, and I was getting a message that my mid-level character could not get RP XP in Port-a-Lucine. I mentioned this in #Developer-Chat a while back, to which I was told, 'That wouldn't happen as it stands,' but.. Here I am, a mid-level character in a supposedly mid-level area, not getting ANY RP XP, in an area of the server whose domain exists on the premise of intrigue and social RP. If this can happen to me in Port-a-Lucine of all the places, why not just linger around Barovia? Because your motivator for me not to remain in those 10 and under places, is now damaging me in areas intended for levels 10 and over. The system is defeating itself.

I hope this serves as a pointed example as to why the current system sucks.

I am not amused.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:11:58 AM by BraveSirRobin »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
AFAIK the roleplaying XP penalising system only happens in Western Barovia, so that's a bug....
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:01 PM »
AFAIK the roleplaying XP penalising system only happens in Western Barovia, so that's a bug....

At some point they updated it, so that instead of working on pre-set level ranges, it works based off of some mathematical equation relating to the average level of players that have walked through the area. But in a place like Port-a-Lucine where we have Noble PC's who start off here at level 2, that brings the average way down.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 05:25:26 AM »

At some point they updated it, so that instead of working on pre-set level ranges, it works based off of some mathematical equation relating to the average level of players that have walked through the area. But in a place like Port-a-Lucine where we have Noble PC's who start off here at level 2, that brings the average way down.

No, that was never how it worked before.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2018, 02:57:12 AM »

No, that was never how it worked before.

That was how I had it explained to me ages ago. How did it work before?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 03:38:19 AM »
Exactly as it does now. We’ve adjusted the values since it was put in, but not the system itself.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 07:19:46 AM »
Well, if the system is intended for the purpose of getting people out of Vallaki when they've outgrown the play-pen, why does it have the possibility of performing the same effect in a place like Port-a-Lucine, which is intended for end-game play? Maybe not Double XP Areas for incentives, because this server is all about trying to pace leveling up. But maybe modify that code so that .. Well. That can't happen, in places there's no reason for it to happen.  :(

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »
I think that this could be with multiplier of experience that gets increased by roleplay, You have an initial x1 with a behavior of a compound interest with a rate of 5/1000, every time that the server gives the message of exp by  role play your multilplier gets multiplied by 1 + (5/1000), valid for normal and role play experience. With this, the people that role play will recive the benefits of this. Could be added as a filter, that certain creatures need a specific multiply to get his exp, with this the people with low levels that roleplay so much can get the benefit of the experience of high exp creatures.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:02:23 PM by Arcibel »