Author Topic: Hide name  (Read 1315 times)

divine-darkness

• New to the Mists
Hide name
« on: April 23, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »

Perhaps through an item like a mask, or alternatively cosmetics and potentially even a skill feat to match. But, if it's even possible. I'd love the ability to hide the name of my characters. This could be good for a rouge that sidelines in a bit of highway robbery.  Or a polymorph etc.

Naturally, this can be done through RP, and I'd like to say we trust absolutely everyone to never metagame information. But the reality is we're all human right. Ultimately one can work it out (whos-who) but, at least its a first stop barrier that makes it easier for everyone to RP hiding your true identity when required.

Divinity

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
Re: Hide name
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:39:27 AM »
Completely impractical, but I actually wouldn't mind a function that actively hid the names of all the PCs/NPCs on the server and simply forced you to rely on descriptions /head models/voices to recognize people..

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:55:33 AM »
I wouldn't be principally opposed to allowing a mask or such to hide your identity, perhaps even with a hide vs spot check when examining a character with some appropriate modifier. I'm unsure how possible it is though. Couldn't hide them from the player list and you could look at the player list and see who are with you. But hiding the name hovering above the character could still work as a reminder that the person is attempting to hide.

Completely impractical, but I actually wouldn't mind a function that actively hid the names of all the PCs/NPCs on the server and simply forced you to rely on descriptions /head models/voices to recognize people..

Well, then your character's ability to remember names would be your ability to remember names. I'd like to think that my noble-born wise charismatic paladin remembers literally everyone he meets because he genuinely cares about the people he meets, but the truth is that as a player I can't!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:59:52 AM by Exordium »

divine-darkness

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:10:43 AM »
I wouldn't be principally opposed to allowing a mask or such to hide your identity, perhaps even with a hide vs spot check when examining a character with some appropriate modifier. I'm unsure how possible it is though. Couldn't hide them from the player list and you could look at the player list and see who are with you. But hiding the name hovering above the character could still work as a reminder that the person is attempting to hide.

You're right, but I think you nailed it that it's a -STRONG- reminder that you shouldn't know who it is. Also, I know I wouldn't check on names in this scenario. However, if the name is just there, although I'd like to think it wouldn't subconsciously alter my RP, it very easily could.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:08:09 AM by divine-darkness »

TherapyCat

• I'm aware I can't spell but look at my art uwu
  • Dark Lord
  • Aka BrokeCollegeKid/Colorfullfan
    • POTM IN THE SIMS
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:15:21 AM »

Well, then your character's ability to remember names would be your ability to remember names. I'd like to think that my noble-born wise charismatic paladin re

members literally everyone he meets because he genuinely cares about the people he meets, but the truth is that as a player I can't!

Y'all Hold up. I can't remember what I had for Dinner Last Night. I struggle with remembering names in real life, much less fictional names in a  RPG. It would be nice however, if when shape shifted or poly morphed, if the character named disappeared. It is rather frustrating with my Sorc poly-morphs  and instead of people seeing an owl and being like "Oh cool an owl" they see my player name over it, and without the owl doing anything out of the ordinary go "That's a witch" without  their character having any experience with animals at all.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »

Well, then your character's ability to remember names would be your ability to remember names. I'd like to think that my noble-born wise charismatic paladin remembers literally everyone he meets because he genuinely cares about the people he meets, but the truth is that as a player I can't!

I did preface by saying it was completely impractical. But. Ahem. It'd be really nice if it was actually possible to get away with living a double life without people automatically knowing who it was behind the mask or whatever.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:49:55 PM »
It is possible to a certain extent, but it requires repeated external modification of a player character file, which carries its own inherent risks. And, at present, since NWNX LETO (the NWNX plugin required to make this work) is not currently working on our Linux server, it's a moot point.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
It is possible to a certain extent, but it requires repeated external modification of a player character file, which carries its own inherent risks. And, at present, since NWNX LETO (the NWNX plugin required to make this work) is not currently working on our Linux server, it's a moot point.

Any chance of this working in EE?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
It does not work with EE at this time. If this will ever be corrected is unknown.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.