Author Topic: The Blood of Chalaines - Writings of Laurette Élise Trelliard  (Read 85 times)

Dumas

• Dark Lord
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:45:53 AM by Dumas »

Jerome de La Salle

Dumas

• Dark Lord
Re: The Blood of Chalaines - Writings of Laurette Élise Trelliard
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:48:15 AM »
April 15th, 773 BC

The capital is nearing the border of outright chaos. My carriage passed dozens of refugees fleeing the city on the roads, and several times I had to insist that the driver threaten his whip against those choking the highway. Very few seemed to have been following the same route as I; mostly soldiers and gendarmes. The arm and nail, horse and snail of House Trelliard emblazoned on the carriage doors seemed to attract the eyes of the gentry to closer to Port-a-Lucine… I wonder just what they think of our family.

Father, I am certain, cares little of their thoughts. He has long known to bid his time and wait for advantageous opportunity. So long as the family continues in the fashion that it has over the generations, he would be satisfied. Slow and steady growth, like the snail that does adorn our crest. Mother, I know, believes quite the opposite. We have not seen eye-to-eye on many issues, but this we can fully agree upon.

Maurice, my younger brother, is still enrolled at the University of Dementlieu, still toiling away with his studies. A nearly useless task. His tricks are interesting, but the Arcane is hardly more than an entertainer’s trade. Maurice believes it is something much more grandiose. When he was a child, he would tell Basile and I about grand stories of lost empires, ancient powerful beings that roamed forgotten lands, mysterious spells that could destroy kingdoms or grant power beyond belief... Nothing but tales. I had hoped he would grow out of such notions, but alas.

Basile, my elder brother, I have not heard from in several months. Basile was with a delegation of other envoys that went east, near the start of the war… I do worry for him. Word of his death, if it happened, would have returned to us though. I sincerely doubt the Duc d’Ameranthe would have caused harm to the eldest son of House Trelliard, and certainly no soldiers of the Council would have reason to, either. Father and mother carefully cultivated our position.

One can only wait so long, however. It was a meeting that I initiated with both excitement and trepidation. Father gave his sanction rather quickly... Mother, took several days. I know she did not trust me with such an enterprise, but when the situation calls for it, father can and will see his will carried out.

The last time I was in the capital, I saw it as dreary visit of galas and soirées, theatre displays and orchestra performances. Now I see it as I should have then - a city of opportunity and influence. Dementlieu shall not be the same as it was when the smoke clears and the cannons are rolled away… nor will House Trelliard.

I, not mother, will make certain of that.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:27:58 AM by Dumas »

Jerome de La Salle