Author Topic: Records of Valentin Krezkov  (Read 629 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Records of Valentin Krezkov
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »
December 1oth 773 B.C.

I sit alone with my tsuika in my home in the farmlands. My ungrateful nephew who eloped with his borcan girlfriend as per my sister's request robbed my home of what little was left. He left a poorly written letter of apology and had fled to dementlieu in fear of family's retribution and my retribution after I took the sod into my home. I write as my wife had always insisted that writing was like training and one could not get better with out practice and so I write records to maintain my sanity  and practice. As my father always wanted I have joined the Garda. The regime for battle with a sword and the things accustom to his militaristic raising from my grandfather was bore into me. And yet I do not understand why I remain defiant of my superiors. I believe the day Mitrea and I stood against the Rat Neuri known as the "Prophet" has shaken me in some way and yet much about how the Citadel is run has shaken me questioning "Are we loyal to our people and ways" or must we change with the times?

I once held an ill hate to outlanders and a lovely Lilliana had change my opinion as I waited to join the Garda. Though she were not an outlander herself per say she did come from the mist but spoke of a more realistic land where she was some princess. Whether I chose to believe her or not does not matter she opened my eyes that it was not the outlanders to blame for my wife and two sons death under the witch of acid rain. It was the lack of restraining and cooperating with outlanders is the case. That stemmed from the Garda's inability to restrain, educate, and above all perform against a changing wave that approached like a tidal stream of an overflowed river of outlanders. Hence why I joined the Garda to make a difference among my people. What I found when I joined was.... disappointing. Disorganize, view restricted, and above all each Private had his or her own style of leadership that lacks a constant. What one view viewed differently than the other and the process to cuddle outlanders for information and rely upon them for things supposedly beyond our reach makes me question. Are we improving to defend our borders of the city and our people?

When my friend Petro had joined and told me how he tossed his armor down the sewer over some Tsuika I but laughed. But, I see why he grew frustration it is like the Garda turns an eye to the burdens the outlanders cause. The lack of loyalty to the Count, the blatant disrespect of its municipality, and the lack of acknowledgement to our burgomaster and ways. Any good barovian would feel down trodden as we pay outlanders fang worth even a noble's ransom. Upon the wall some times I look at the farmlands how my people toil in the soil for a few beets and yet outlanders in the outskirts sit in finery, decorated in things of vraja, and fortune. Of course their lives are one with risk but come noapte some blindly stand out at night coaxing the Ole Noapte to stir trouble while other flee into the accursed cultist temple of the dawn that harbors calibans. The world I knew was gone and now I face a chaos all on my own.

Do not get me wrong. I enjoy the company of some of my comrades the goal as my father always taught me was. "Strive to make Barovia better." But, I find that hard when my opinions and efforts are misjudged or falsely accused. Marian Sarbu thinks of me as some idiot and a man can stand for being called daft for so long before he even ignores his superiors. There lack of exact instruction causes recruits to perform the action when they only wished one. They are not battle ready. They are not ready for war or battle as my father showed me. Each unqiuely wanting their leaership performed which shows a lack of conformity. I dare not speak such as I know I have drawn the Lieutenant's ire and I do not wish to dishonor my father or grandfather. But, I am not a yes man if they want such a follower they can keep Ivan whose bitterness towards outlanders may get him the same wake up as I or like my friend Petro.

For now I will remain obedient. I will resume my studies of the outlanders unbeknowest to my comrades and learn their ways. Not to be them but to circumvent them. As my father has said "To know yer enemy is to know whom are your friends." So I will cater to my superiors unrealistic wishes and continuing my training. Though I do hate paper work and my reports have been slovenly. I just cannot believe how easy it is for them to move their day after we survived a rat neuri attack and no consideration goes to the questions or well being of the recruits who were failed by their superiors. We are not prepared. We seek to serve our people but we are not prepared for the outlanders or oddities that befall this duty. Only those with the will of insanity or resolve would continue, I would not blame a soul to abandon his post or to retire from the Garda. It's conditions are not what is expected by any locals belief. My people are not ready and they suffer while outlanders prosper,  we die to protect our people while outlanders gain fortunes for our inabilities, and our superiors fall to ear to outlander superiors while we question whom we serve. My people need me, my Garda need me, and I must succeed for them, for me, for Barovia.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."