Public (OOC) > Setting and Lore Discussion

Of Paladins and Poisons

(1/9) > >>

ViktorYouFool:
A poisoned blade is the definition of dishonorable, a thing that all proponents of Law and Good should abhor.

.. Why are varnishes better, morally/ethically speaking? They are both rub-on components to to make your weapon inflict greater harm on someone. If poisoning your sword prior to a fight is dishonorable, why is a fire varnish okay? Or an acid varnish?

Iridni Ren:
I like these kinds of questions because they require some thought :)

After thinking about it, it seems to me a negative energy varnish would definitely be something a paladin should not use because of the means it uses to inflict harm.

Otherwise, however, I think there are generally two sources for "the definition of dishonorable": either the paladin's own code or external convention, custom, and law.

Because paladins are supposed to be lawful, I personally don't go with the "I have my own personal code I follow" and prefer the latter for determining lawful good, but that's another argument that would derail your topic. If one subscribes to the "personal" code, however, then an individual paladin could say poison itself is okay. But my answer is that the varnishes are okay the same way a magic sword is okay: if those are the customs and practices of "fair" combat generally understood in the milieu and in accord with the paladin's faith.

ChrisRanHimselfOver:
I think in this case it's important to take into account certain other properties of varnishes and poisons.

A weapon coated with a varnish is honest about what it will do, they all apply visual effects and give off light. They aren't subtle.

A poison is generally meant to be undetectable until it is too late, and then it continues to do its work even after the fight if one party retreats or if the one who applied the poison falls.

Philos:
I think part of it is there's an element of deception and trickery with poison. Most blades aren't obviously poisoned. Great lengths are gone to to conseal poisons in food and drinks. While Paladin might not always be forthcoming to a fault, I feel they general don't engage in gross deceptions.

Varnishes are overt. You know exactly what his/her weapon is gonna do. Again, i think it's less additional damage and more about deceptions.

By the same token, would dark fire or holy sword not inflict more damage to someone?

ViktorYouFool:

--- Quote from: Iridni Ren on April 15, 2018, 09:58:21 PM ---After thinking about it, it seems to me a negative energy varnish would definitely be something a paladin should not use because of the means it uses to inflict harm.
--- End quote ---

Aren't all weapon varnishes meant to inflict harm? I mean. The weapon itself is also meant to inflict harm. That's what weapons are for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version